Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
i've always cared deeply what the stodgy shut-ins of city-data think about rap, so this thread is like seeing a dream come true.
lol

+1,000,000

Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Here's a rapper promoting Pittsburgh, and his song just went Top 40, and people are complaining about it? I'm not a big hip-hop fan, but this is still good publicity as far as I'm concerned, and it increases Pittsburgh's relevance in American pop culture.

Seriously, the people actually complaining about this are have to be the worst kind of yinzers to be able to spin something this positive into a negative light. Or they are just old and out-of-touch with the ever evolving music scene, to say the least.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
oh gosh I've suddenly been transferred even further back to middle school with the ever popular "rap is crap" line... I do give credit it took 5 pages to get there.
the really sophisticated people call it (c)rap. i'm surprised that hasn't happened yet.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
The first? A simple thug off the street who can rhyme.

The later three? Staples in modern rock history.
Laughable, like I said anyone can have an opinion on the music, but the fact that you call him a "thug" shows that you are even more ignorant about this subject than I previously thought. Why don't you just retire from the thread grandpa and go walk the dog or something... sheesh

Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Led Zeppelin songs like Black Dog and Rock and Roll--which I like, I should note--have lyrics which would be pretty easy to make fun of.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb Big Ups To You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
translation:

the first? someone whose music i don't like.
the later three? people whose music i do like.

i'm not particularly a hip hop fan but this dismissiveness of the entire genre is tiresome. and the point is, who gives a crap if the dude got busted with some weed - whether or not his music is good or to your taste, it's nothing out of the ordinary in the world of music to do drugs, especially pot.
Groar, you've made more than a few good points in this thread...let me pinch hit for a minute...

At 55, I'm not exactly a hip-hop head either...but the bottom line is, there are those that ARE (my aspiring rapper nephew included)...they have the right to their fashion, their music, their culture, etc...same as rockers, country fans, blues fans, jazz fans, etc...

The one salient point here is this...the young man is a Pittsburgh native, his life choices for the moment notwithstanding...he made a Pittsburgh-themed rap that in its own way, tried to portray the city in a positive light...and for that, no one should be mad at him...

So, please, go to the local grocery, and buy some beer to cry in, and some cheese to go with all that whine, find a nice dark secluded room to whine and cry in, and leave those of us who you can't tell what to like alone...

I'm sorry, but I and a lot of other folks will simply not be told what's right and what's not, by some stiff-necked, hyper-critical yutz in an internet chat forum...don't like what's on the radio or TV? Then get up and change the channel, or better, turn it off...but don't waste time trying to pass yourself off as the final arbiter of what's good and what's not, because unless you are some omnipotent being from Alpha Centauri, sent to save us poor ignorant earthlings from ourselves, which I doubt, then you have about as much credibility as someone trying to toilet paper a house in the middle of a monsoon---which equals NONE

Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Defenitely not a fan of rap music (actually I hate it) but if he made it big, good for him. Good for his fans. This just makes me wish Pittsburgh will get a bigger rock scene.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Cracks me up, old Stones guy, critics complained about his drug use and Sat-inc lyrics. Meanwhile, Sinatra drank it up and sang That Old Black Magic.

Again, politicians try to regulate drugs, and while doing so in a back room drink bourbon.

I have no idea who Wiz is, but I doubt he is any worse than all the other guys before.

AND I"M AN OLD 58 YEAR OLD FART!!!

What time is Matlock on???

Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Led Zeppelin songs like Black Dog and Rock and Roll--which I like, I should note--have lyrics which would be pretty easy to make fun of.
yeah exactly. quoting the public enemy lyrics that scott did is like using "baby baby baby baby" to represent the lyrics of led zeppelin.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM

20 posts, read 44,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I didn't say you should be able to relate to all kinds of music to make it music. I was positioning songs like you quoted above (often considered the best rock song of all time) to "songs" such as "Give it up, give it up, give it up yo, give it up, give it up, give it up, gotta give it up" (an actual song by Public Enemy). That's what rap is. "heyyyyyyyyy hoeeeeeeee heeeeeeeey hoeeeeeeeeeeee".

Wiz Khalifa is just some thug that's getting his fifteen minutes of semi fame now; in a year, he'll be gone hangin' on the streets of Homestead or wherever the hell he's from.
First off, Wiz is not a "thug". He doesn't portray being a "thug" nor does he talk about gang violence and all that jazz that thugs do.

Second of all, he's from Hazelwood.

Third and lastly, he's been around since 2007 and has had a strong fanbase in Pittsburgh and around the country for that many years. Ignorance is surely bliss.

I understand that some people may not like rap and think that all rappers are people from the streets and do no good but to get in trouble, smoke weed, and rap, but let's get some facts straight about the people before we all stereotype these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh