Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:50 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

We discussed this issue here before, so I thought this article about a house in the Upper Hill/Schenley Farms area was an interesting followup:

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation » Historic Pittsburgh Home Bears Benign Swastika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We discussed this issue here before, so I thought this article about a house in the Upper Hill/Schenley Farms area was an interesting followup:

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation » Historic Pittsburgh Home Bears Benign Swastika
I would probably have bought another house.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
The Nazis didn't come to power in Germany until 20 years after that house was built.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 PM

178 posts, read 399,733 times
Yeah, but, the Nazis kind of effed that symbol for everybody. If they want to keep it on their house more power to them, but they should be prepared to do a whole lot of explaining for as long as they own the house. Not really worth the hassle imho. If it were me, I'd get it filled in post-haste.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
Hinduism and Buddhism use the swastika to represent their religions. A lot of churches in Vietnam were adorned with these. It was strange to see.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I think the best result is the home being owned by people who don't mind doing the explaining. This is sort of continuing a conversation from a prior thread, but while I am sympathetic to the strong negative feelings this symbol invokes in some, I also think it is worth gradually redeeming the symbol itself, in light of its widespread benign use both historically and globally today.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 AM

31 posts, read 102,771 times
There are swastika's in lots of places (The original IRT line on the NYC subways, for one), but they're not as pronounced as this. I used to be of the mind that this symbol was around long before the Nazi's, it can be reclaimed, blah, blah. No it can't. Some times changing a historical feature isn't the worst thing in the world (and I'm a preservationist). That symbol is just to heavy to keep on your house. And it's a shame.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM

115 posts, read 186,311 times
Not to be an ass about it, but if the cross were used by some fascist group as a pet symbol, how would people respond?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,941 times
Shouldn't be difficult to devise some sort of "fig-leaf" applique if the owners wanted to. This might come in handy when trying to sell the place in the future!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 PM

31 posts, read 102,771 times
Default Possibly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktheshark View Post
Not to be an ass about it, but if the cross were used by some fascist group as a pet symbol, how would people respond?
I would think if the Nazi's had used a slanted cross, or something similar, we may feel similar. But that is the main symbol of a huge religion. Instead, they took a symbol that had been used in architecture around the world. I don't think that that was a mistake. They chose the swastika for a reason, and changed it's meaning to the western world. If they had used something like the green man or a gargoyle type thing (trying to think of things popular in architecture), it may have been the same.

That being said, I think that most people know what the symbol really was by now, and what it's meant to be known for. What's it's meant to be and what it is are just two very different things, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh