Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 AM

408 posts, read 991,871 times

Advertisements

I'm really tired of those "best neighborhood" threads where everyone pumps the same handful of neighborhoods, and the "rich get richer". So let's hear the underrated neighborhoods and why you think so..

I'll start...

Millvale -

It's a bridge away from Lawrenceville at a lower price. It has easy access to downtown and the Strip. Washington's landing is a stone's throw away. It is a short drive from suburban shopping paradises such as Ross Park Mall and Pittsburgh Mills.

It has a great riverfront park where you can put a kayak in, have a party at the pavillion, or ride your bike only a couple of miles to the north shore and connect with all the other bike paths around town.

It has a ton of character as home to the original Pamela's (best pancakes in town!), Mr Smalls Theatre (many of the best bands coming through town), Mr Smalls Skate Park, The Attic record store, Yetters homemade candies, Jean-Marc Chatellier Bakery, the Lincoln Pharmacy.

It also hosts many events such as weekly farmers market and annual Beer Festival, Wine Festival, and Millvale Days.

The only thing Millvale is missing is some city-data pumping and a bunch of folks that think they are better than everyone else, and it would be the next Lawrenceville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I'm really tired of those "best neighborhood" threads where everyone pumps the same handful of neighborhoods, and the "rich get richer". So let's hear the underrated neighborhoods and why you think so..

I'll start...

Millvale -

It's a bridge away from Lawrenceville at a lower price. It has easy access to downtown and the Strip. Washington's landing is a stone's throw away. It is a short drive from suburban shopping paradises such as Ross Park Mall and Pittsburgh Mills.

It has a great riverfront park where you can put a kayak in, have a party at the pavillion, or ride your bike only a couple of miles to the north shore and connect with all the other bike paths around town.

It has a ton of character as home to the original Pamela's (best pancakes in town!), Mr Smalls Theatre (many of the best bands coming through town), Mr Smalls Skate Park, The Attic record store, Yetters homemade candies, Jean-Marc Chatellier Bakery, the Lincoln Pharmacy.

It also hosts many events such as weekly farmers market and annual Beer Festival, Wine Festival, and Millvale Days.

The only thing Millvale is missing is some city-data pumping and a bunch of folks that think they are better than everyone else, and it would be the next Lawrenceville!
Millvale is pretty cool, but it can be kinda shady sometimes. I've alot of time outside of Mr. Smalls going in and out of concerts and there can be some shady characters sometimes (but they're probably coming from the concert I'm at). The only real bad thing is that you have to get there from Route 28. That's rough.

My vote for underrated places goes to Baldwin. Cheap houses, low crime, no one bothers you. That's all I need.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Swissvale towards Braddock Hills - nice scenery, outside the city limits (avoid city wage tax), close to parkway, Waterfront, walk to East Busway.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Absolutely agree about Millvale.

I'll nominate Swisshelm Park, just because this came up in another thread recently. It is a very peaceful, pleasant neighborhood. It lacks its own commercial district, but it is otherwise very conveniently located.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM

408 posts, read 991,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The only real bad thing is that you have to get there from Route 28. That's rough.
I don't think you need to use 28 to get to Millvale any more than you do to get to Lawrenceville. There are plenty of local roads to get you places, usually quicker than 28. The construction to widen 28 and eliminate the lights at the bridges would ideally make 28 the most efficient route to get many places, but this is Penndot we are talking about, so I am sure after years of pain, effort, and money, it will look and flow as poorly as it does right now.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I nominate Brighton Heights. The housing stock appears to be solid yet affordable; it has a cluster of neighborhood businesses, and it's convenient to many of the high-profile areas of town. From Brighton Heights, you can get to the North Shore in five minutes, downtown Pittsburgh, the North Side and Station Square in less than 10 minutes, the South Side and Strip District in 10 minutes, Uptown in Less than 15 minutes, and Oakland in 15 minutes. You can also get to I-79 in about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on traffic on Ohio River Boulevard.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Swissvale towards Braddock Hills - nice scenery, outside the city limits (avoid city wage tax), close to parkway, Waterfront, walk to East Busway.
Plus down the street from Regent Square and Frick Park, around the corner from Squirrel Hill and decent housing costing less than most new cars

Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Plus down the street from Regent Square and Frick Park, around the corner from Squirrel Hill and decent housing costing less than most new cars
Indeed... the area is actually on my short list to buy, once I'm ready. Do you live there? The property taxes seem pretty reasonable too.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
The problem with listing neighborhoods like Millvale and Swissvale is that they are not city neighborhoods, although they are right on the fringes and should be just like Homstead, Wilkinsburg and several others. I prefer to stay within city limits because then we can get int to areas like Plum, Oakmont, Cheswick, and that gets pretty boring although some may feel that they are underrated. The city of Pittsburgh has ninety neighborhoods. This thread should be "Most underated neighborhood in Allegheny County."

Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Millvale was a great area at one time. 20 years ago I remember getting a camera repaired on the main drag, and at that time business was booming. Not so much now, the repair shop closed and the bank across the street did the same. It's still a very affordable area, but the houses aren't exactly what people want today. Very few homes have 2.5 baths, which is standard, or a 2 car garage. Great place to start out, don't know that I would retire there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh