Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times

Advertisements

Wow, I feel rt 28 is good if you are going the opposite direction. Guess it just doesn't get as much action. The Parkways are very heavily travelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 PM

367 posts, read 622,713 times
People have been telling me that Downtown wouldn't be bad commuting out of town, but why is it any different than say Bloomfield or Friendship? What about the north hills, are they really that accessible without headaches?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
People have been telling me that Downtown wouldn't be bad commuting out of town, but why is it any different than say Bloomfield or Friendship? What about the north hills, are they really that accessible without headaches?
Downtown is right at the highways. Bloomfield and Friendship are not; they're going to add 10 minutes or so of driving on surface streets to any commute (except maybe north on Rt 28, where it would add only about half that time because you can hit the 40th Street Bridge).

North hills has fewer headaches than some places, but everywhere has it's drawbacks. Not sure where you're headed, but you don't want north areas if you're headed south every day, unless you're far enough north to be at I-79 already (Wexford and farther). It wouldn't be good for the OP in this case, for example.

Getting deja vu; did you ask about this a month or two ago? Might have been someone else. We do get the same topics a lot.

EDIT: oh I see, you have another thread started a few hours ago. Will keep further ideas over there.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 6,459 times
i used to commute from oakland to gibsonia- i felt like i was on a mardi gras float! like i should wave and throw trinkets and candies at the poor shlubs on the other side of the highway just sittin' there. ahhhh...

Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,791 times
I live in Observatory Hill and have worked in East Liberty, Sewickley, Washington County, and Cranberry.

Every single commute was a breeze. It seriously feels like you're stealing something when you drive past all of the sad-sac suburbanites slowly rat-racing into work.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,574,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
I live in Observatory Hill and have worked in East Liberty, Sewickley, Washington County, and Cranberry.

Every single commute was a breeze. It seriously feels like you're stealing something when you drive past all of the sad-sac suburbanites slowly rat-racing into work.
Well, as a city resident, you should be glad all those suburbanites are driving to the city, they balance the budget.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Well, as a city resident, you should be glad all those suburbanites are driving to the city, they balance the budget.
Too true. And I have absolutely nothing against them.

Happiness is relative isn't it? I can see them stacked up bumper to bumper and feel a little less glum about dragging my butt to work. And when they fight traffic all the way home and watch the latest "Dozens killed in North Side Warzone" story on the news, they can feel a little safer tucked into their beds at night. Everybody wins.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,574,051 times
Jay,

Should all the people working in town, live in town? Would there be enough room?

How many living in town work in the 'burbs?

This urban vs suburban is getting old.

I'm moving to Slippery Rock.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Mr. or Mrs. Nut,

I don't care where people live. Seriously. So long as they can afford it, people can live and work where they want. If commuting is an important consideration, they should plan accordingly.

I live in the city and commute to the suburbs, which is basically what the OP is considering. I live in a specific neighborhood of the city and have commuted to every cardinal direction from that neighborhood and can reliably report to the OP that every commute has been easy, especially relative to the parkway parking lots I passed on my way out of town. End of story.

Slippery Rock is beautiful. I wouldn't mind living there myself (The commute to Sewickley would still be a relative breeze...albeit a longer one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh