Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
It seems like the airport has all of those things.
That's not a bad idea so long as you also have a regular & fast connector into downtown from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
That's not a bad idea so long as you also have a regular & fast connector into downtown from there.
They do have the 28X bus and its only 18 minutes from PIT to town.

If the purpose of HSR is to replace commuter flights, the airport location seems ideal as central Pennsylvanians would be able to transfer to long distance planes at that location.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Which isn't a bad idea anyhow (fast to DT). Besides catching connecting flights, they also have tons of space and parking already.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM

264 posts, read 492,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They do have the 28X bus and its only 18 minutes from PIT to town.

If the purpose of HSR is to replace commuter flights, the airport location seems ideal as central Pennsylvanians would be able to transfer to long distance planes at that location.
The schedule may say 18 minutes, but it's definitely a longer trip than that. Even with completely empty roads, I can't imagine the bus getting from the airport, through Robinson Town Center, and into town in under a half hour.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:02 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't it would be that beneficial. Its only a 3 hour drive to Penn State from here, and less than 4 to Harrisburg.
That's without traffic, and keep in mind we are talking about getting past Downtown and to the airport, which can be no trivial task.

In fact I clerked for a year in the Altoona area, and one of my co-clerks was often trying to catch flights out of Pittsburgh. Traffic was frequently a problem, so she would have to leave very early. If there had been a reasonably quick train that stopped at the airport, she would have loved that.

Quote:
Sure, high speed rail would take less time than driving, but not that much less considering the transport time to and from the stations
If the train actually stopped at PIT, you would only have to worry about getting to the station on the Central PA end, which is the uncongested part.

Quote:
and the inconvenience of having to travel on the train's schedule instead of your own.
PIT already tends to cluster a lot of departures, and generally if you were smart you could align the train schedule to make it handy for most people connecting to flights.

Quote:
Automobile, as well as bus travel, also offers a lot more flexibility in choice of locations, stations don't have to be built and the highways and streets are already there.
Again, though, if the scenario is having to fight congestion to get to the airport, flexibility isn't a plus, and using the existing roads is a huge minus.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it seemed kind of out of left field to me. not that I'm against one in theory.
I've mentioned it before, in part because of the aforementioned experience of my co-clerk with trying to fly out of Central PA (and it is only going to get worse).

Incidentally, and not surprisingly, an awful lot of people living in Central PA are near the train line between Philly and Pittsburgh--and even if you rerouted the train a bit to achieve true HSR, that would still be true.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I'd hope the train would stop both in Downtown and at the airport, thereby providing its own connection.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
I can't imagine the bus getting from the airport, through Robinson Town Center, and into town in under a half hour.
Hopefully we get our state funding back and can once again cut out the Robinson loop.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd hope the train would stop both in Downtown and at the airport, thereby providing its own connection.
Even better.....i do think though that you would need the parking that a place like the airport could provide because I have to believe that true high speed rail to either DC or Philly would be a game changer & would attract travelers from all over the area & not just ones with available alternate transportation into downtown. Even if parking could be handled, the added congestion into downtown wouldnt be welcome, so I think an airport stop for the parking & ease of getting to & a downtown stop for the convenience of being downtown are great ideas.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Hopefully we get our state funding back and can once again cut out the Robinson loop.

Robinson service is pretty important, Brian.

If you are in town during the morning, you could see a fair number of people are using Robinson busses to commute to jobs at the big retail and office complex in the Robinson/N. Fayette areas.

And I think a fair number of folks in Robinson already need rides to Pittsbugh International.

I suppose that the route could be divided and have just some of the trips be express and others stop in Robinson, but cutting out the service completely wouldn't be that great an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh