Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM

20 posts, read 43,259 times

Advertisements

robrobrob mentioned "Forest" in Fox Chapel. Is that a neighborhood there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,071,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbox View Post
robrobrob mentioned "Forest" in Fox Chapel. Is that a neighborhood there?
It is a section of Fox Chapel on the hill off Powers Run Road. You can go up Powers Run and take a right on Field Club and you are going to be up in the Forest up around the bend. I am not sure why anyone would pick that over something else. We all have favorite places in neighborhoods. I like to be close in, so Hunt Road, Guyasuta, Waldheim/Windsor area. Those areas are my favorites. I am not sure how much homes are going for on Rockwood Drive as well. That is close in, but the prices might have gone up too high there. It is just personal preference and some would rather be out on Old Mill or Squaw Run East, one of my favorite streets. Oh there are way to many to list and I know them all.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,715,798 times
With that budget, absolutely no reason to go to Cranberry. Cranberry is where you go to get a large, new house for cheap enough, generally. Would not be upscale although people do build some upscale houses out that way because Butler County property taxes are lower.

I think suggestions for Aspinwall, O'Hara, etc. (Fox Chapel school district) are good. Those should give you a pretty short commute, could be 20-30 min. Hampton (AKA Allison Park, mostly, Hampton school district) isn't a bad idea either, could be a bit longer commute from most spots. Some similar houses might cost less there. May depend upon precise environment you would like. In Aspinwall you have a little town effect with some places to walk, etc. You don't get that really in Hampton that I can think of.

I don't know how large of a house you're looking to get with $600k, but since you're relocating to the area make sure you've taken into account the property tax, which might be higher what you're used to depending upon where you're coming from. Now Fox Chapel and environs is a place where there are plenty of houses in that price range and above, but in general in many parts of this area you can get quite nice houses for under $600k, sometimes well under.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
Another vote for Fox Chapel. It's the closest upscale suburb for commuting to the East End.

Hampton would be the next choice. It's a little farther away than Fox Chapel. The school system is just as good.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think suggestions for Aspinwall, O'Hara, etc. (Fox Chapel school district) are good. Those should give you a pretty short commute, could be 20-30 min. Hampton (AKA Allison Park, mostly, Hampton school district) isn't a bad idea either, could be a bit longer commute from most spots. Some similar houses might cost less there. May depend upon precise environment you would like. In Aspinwall you have a little town effect with some places to walk, etc. You don't get that really in Hampton that I can think of.

I don't know how large of a house you're looking to get with $600k, but since you're relocating to the area make sure you've taken into account the property tax, which might be higher what you're used to depending upon where you're coming from. Now Fox Chapel and environs is a place where there are plenty of houses in that price range and above, but in general in many parts of this area you can get quite nice houses for under $600k, sometimes well under.
Just a couple of things. I can get to East Liberty in 10 minutes at any hour of the day from Fox Chapel, but I am close in. Secondly, Hampton has a much higher tax millage rate. One more thing that I think I already said is Cranberry isn't considered "upscale" by many people I know. I look at it as the opposite. Larger cheaply build plastic homes for all. The place looks like one huge Ryan Home project at best.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,595,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Secondly, Hampton has a much higher tax millage rate. .
Actually, the millages are pretty much even.

Fox Chapel 29.25
Hampton 28.0745

Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Actually, the millages are pretty much even.

Fox Chapel 29.25
Hampton 28.0745
Hamton taxes per 100K of home =2,807.45
Fox Chapel per 100K = 2,835.00

I stand corrected. Thank you. I almost bought a home there once and back then the millage was higher. Seems Fox Chapel has caught up. Ouch.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 AM

780 posts, read 1,389,366 times
I'll go out of the norm here and say Murrysville and Penn Twp. Commute may be a little more but your taxes will be greatly decreased and the schools (other than Fox Chapel), will be a little better.
Depending on the time of day you are traveling and where in each of those twps you are located, your commute can be 35 min. to 50 min. You'll only have to deal with the Parkway traffic until you get to the Wilkinsburg exit then take that all the way into East Liberty.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,085,250 times
I'd strongly urge doing a full accounting of the associated costs--not just in terms of vehicle and fuel costs, but also assigning a reasonable value to your own time--before accepting a considerably longer commute just to save on property taxes (and don't forget to include any tax deductions).

Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 AM

38 posts, read 59,695 times
Takes me 30min to get to East Liberty each morning (Bakery Square), from within Norwin school district area.
As HempfieldMafia said look into Penn Township - Level Green/Harrison City area, North Huntingdon/Irwin/Manor, Murrysville and yes Monroeville/Plum. All are within 30min commute, and there are multiple routes from these to avoid Parkway East traffic (well maybe not from Murrysville). All have good school districts, are kids friendly and have good homes within the median price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh