Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM

42 posts, read 80,896 times

Advertisements

I've had my eye on a house on Davis Ave in Brighton Heights. In another post, someone told me that Davis was basically the cutoff between nice and "don't go below Davis". So I have a few questions:
1. Is Davis Ave safe or still kind of iffy?
2. I'm an out of towner looking to move to Pitt so the most I can do right now is look at Google Street View. All of the houses on Davis look good and pretty well kept. Is there another gauge I should be using to determine how safe an area is?
3. I would be living by myself with 2 dogs, would Davis Ave still be a good decision for me?

I really like this house and I really like what I've seen and heard of Brighton Heights, I think that neighborhood could be a good fit for me. I'd really appreciate any feedback!!!

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
I guess you could use Davis Ave. as a cut off point... Yet I knew the southern 1/3's of Brighton Heights if iffy and activity should be limited late at night. Southern Brighton Heights has show small signs of gang activity recently... Perhaps it's due to it's proximity to Perry South's North Charles Street Cripz but now there the seems to be an underground crip set: Brighton Heights Cripz who were invoveld in a shooting last year... Two Brighton Heights robbery suspects charged in death of accomplice - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Yet the northern 2/3's are great, nice, safe parts of Pittsburgh. While the southern part is just iffy...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM

So is Davis itself iffy? Would I be better off going more towards Bellevue?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
I would suggest closest to Bellvue to be furest from the iffy area and Marshall-Shadeland... But Idk how to answer this question to the fullest because the houses seem so nice on Davis Ave. If you can tolerate iffy than go for it.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
I think you'll be fine on Davis. There is a " Chocolate House Tour" done every year in Brighton Heights when local homes are toured, and chocolates are provided for guests.( there are some nice homes in that neighborhood!) This year's tour will be on May 22 from noon-5 . Go to: www.Brightonheightscitizenfederation.com for more info

Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM

I really don't think I want iffy since it's just me and my dogs in a new environment. I just found another place on Benton Ave between Brighton Road and Brighton Woods Road. It looks like a row home that's been completely redone which is nice bc the Davis Ave house needs some updates. Is this more of a better area?

Rhondee, thanks for the info! I will have to try to plan a trip around that time.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,994 times
That area of Brighton Heights is fine. My wife and I just moved last summer right around that area (in between Davis and Brighton Rd). We love it. We live on a quiet, brick street (had the option to pave it a few years back but the neighbors wanted to keep it brick to keep cars going slower), not a lot of traffic, close to everywhere, our neighbors shovel each other out, etc. I've lived in Pittsburgh all of my life and had never heard of Brighton Heights, and when I talked to people, they would tell me to stay away. We went with our gut and moved there and we love it and recommend it to our friends looking for houses!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM

22 posts, read 61,961 times
Benton Ave. is one of the busiest streets in Brighton Heights. It is close to Jack Stack park where you can go to walk your dogs. The houses do not seem as nice as on Davis. That area of Benton is ok, The father away from California Ave. the better.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks so much for the response Tolinma. If you don't mind me asking, what street do you live on? I like the house on Davis. It's really bright, and has a yard and garage. But it does need updates. Now I just came across this other house on Benton Ave that doesn't need anything done, it seems like it was bought and remodeled last year. It's the end unit of row homes which is nice. And is had a fenced in yard which is great for my dogs. But no garage, on street parking only. I'm just not really sure. This will be my first time buying a house and I'd like to be able to resell it eventually. And I want to live in a nice, friendly neighborhood bc I will be moving there not knowing anybody.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Jalex, is all of California Ave bad? It seems like it runs parallel to Ohio River Blvd and it feeds right into Benton Ave. California Ave seems not too far from the house in Benton Ave.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh