Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM

165 posts, read 663,270 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm sure you all know me by now as the "lost lady with no license plates" I obviously need a new hair salon, I want somewhere that is up to date on the latest styles and is really good at cutting and highlighting. I don't care if it is in Oakland, Shadyside, or where ever. I just want a place that isn't going to leave me looking like a skunk. I did some research on city search and people kept claiming that several of the salons on there were having their stylists write all the reviews to make them look good. That was Sybil salon and I can't remember the name of the other. I paid $120 in Portland so I am willing to pay about the same here. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,536 times
"Hip" and "Pittsburgh" do not belong in the same sentence.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 AM

85 posts, read 308,472 times
I'm not sure if this is hip enough or exactly what you want, but here is a link to some salons in Shadyside that might be up your alley:

Pamper Guide- Think Shadyside!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Hey I'm sure you all know me by now as the "lost lady with no license plates" I obviously need a new hair salon, I want somewhere that is up to date on the latest styles and is really good at cutting and highlighting. I don't care if it is in Oakland, Shadyside, or where ever. I just want a place that isn't going to leave me looking like a skunk. I did some research on city search and people kept claiming that several of the salons on there were having their stylists write all the reviews to make them look good. That was Sybil salon and I can't remember the name of the other. I paid $120 in Portland so I am willing to pay about the same here. Thanks
Your best bet is to ask people whose hair you like when you're out. Women will share...

And be prepared to do some hunting. I still go to my old hairdresser from where I used to work because in ten years I can't find anyone close. (I'm in California)

And your license plates? That theft is common around here because of insurance or lack there of -- I had to put mine on with bolts, not screws. I've lost 4 sets of plates in 20 years.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM

165 posts, read 663,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
"Hip" and "Pittsburgh" do not belong in the same sentence.
Mugatu,

I totally agree but I thought I would at least give it the benefit of the doubt since I haven't lived here long. The 1980's are calling for Pittsburgh and they want it back.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 PM

141 posts, read 722,037 times
Try Dean's of Shadyside or Izzazu Salon. Stay away from Philip Peluzzi.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:43 PM

133 posts, read 392,026 times
Quote:
The 1980's are calling for Pittsburgh and they want it back.
Tell me about it. I got my hair cut at the salon that's at South Side Works and it looks like a growing out mullet. Geez...
I've had my hair cut around here 3 times since I moved here and each cut has been worse than the last (3 different people). None did anything modern even though each was a young stylist. I'm considering making the drive back to me last stylist and that's an 8 hour drive!
Can someone please tell us someone good to go to who's actually gone to a recent class somewhere other than Pittsburgh?!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 AM

85 posts, read 335,627 times
My old stylist was Jaime at Salon Vivace in Mt Lebanon and she was probably the best I ever had but it got too hard to get an appt with her and I just wanted to try somewhere new. Salon Vivace sends their stylists all over for training. The last time I saw her, she had just gone overseas somewhere for training - I can't remember where.

My other old stylist was Amanda at the Spa & Salon at Southpointe. She went to classes in Paris recently. She was great too (not as good as Jaime) but I had to stop going to her for personal reasons.

My new stylist is just eh.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM

267 posts, read 815,344 times
I used to go to Dorothy at Philip Pelusi downtown in the Oxford Centre. She's awesome, and the price was great too.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,575,172 times
It may be a little bit of a drive, but highly recommend Hair Color Xperts in Wexford, ask for Harmony she is the owner and does a great job. My wife has sent all of our friends there and they have always come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh