Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,036,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Edit #2: By the way, there are mixed-income neighborhoods all over Pittsburgh. It is strange that something which is supposedly impossible keeps happening.
Of course there are. On fringe areas and there are tons of fringe areas. They don't have to be extreme examples like Shadyside and East Liberty either. They can be kind of mellow in contrast. When you get into hearts of areas prices and everything tends to be similar per square foot and of course depending on condition. Extreme examples are like Crawford Square. That was a bit of a gamble, but to soften the gamble they tried to get a cross section. There is a hope by the powers that it takes off and bleeds into the meat of the Hill, but that kind of thing takes time. I don't think I will see the Hill in my lifetime become some great place to live. Long history of it not being very good and with a new development like Terrance, that certainly doesn't help. It hurt.

Lets look at another example. Shadyside meets Squirrel Hill. Try pricing homes in any of that area. All high priced. On the other side of Shadyside around Center, homes can be had much cheaper because it is bleeding into another area that is not as nice. In the heart of Shadyside and Squirrel Hill the prices are all high. In the heart of places like the Hill District the prices are low. Neighborhoods do divide themselves pretty well. Even streets. Point Breeze has battled Penn Avenue for a very long time. I am happy to say, I think Point Breeze proper is winning the battle and moving Homewood back. I am amazed at how nice the questionable part of PB has gotten. Still it is cheaper there than the heart of Point Breeze even though some of the homes are amazing.

I don't really like the term "mixed income" much. Most places like that are in transitions. They are not defied yet. Pittsburgh is still recovering, but the definition of neighborhoods are starting to form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 11:36 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,387,339 times
The recent crime spike in the Hill is most likely do to inner gang squabling over $$$ or arguments that escalate to gun fire... Once tension dies down between the sets one element will likely go away. Yet in a cumminity where by the time kids are 16 they know at least one person killed by gang voilence, and for the past 2.5 decades: Hill stands for: Hustlin Is Living Life, there's going to be problems. Crawford Square took out most of Crawford Roberts Hill, & now the main trouble spot is the Reed Roberts Housing Progects, which is a good start. If the popo just moved FBI cases on thugs from Chauncey Drive (Bedford Dwellings), Oak Hill, Bentley Drive, and the Elmore Square Projects of Terrace Village the Hill would be no more dangerous than the average hood... Now from what I understand about Middle Hill is there's lots of: litter, urban decay, junkies and 25-45 year old men who just smoke weed and contribute to the rebutation of there neighborhood. Now I think the neighborhood council needs to have a Stop the Violence event, amoung other things...

*I'm not a resident and I don't frequent the area (excluding Webster & Centre Ave) anymore.

Here's a link... Note pages *16-17... From 1997-2007 it says Wilkinsburgh had 51 Homicides, Homewood South 41, Penn Hills 31, McKessport 26, Middle Hill 24, ect!!!
http://www.alleghenycounty.us/upload...ycounty(1).pdf

Last edited by Uptown kid; 05-21-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,723,544 times
Well, the Hill District just laid claim to its eighth homicide of 2011 yesterday.

Hill District stabbing victim identified

It's not even quite the "busy" season yet for violence in the city, and thus far the Hill District is on pace for a VERY virulent 2011.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM

I'm not a profet nor am I reading a crystal ball... but there will be at least five more homicides if things don't change in the Hill! In the heart of Terrace Village, certian projects that make up Addision Terrace will be the next to lay cliam to a homicide or two. While Chauncey Drive and to a lesser degree Reed Roberts are bound to have a murder or two... In the side streets in between Centre & Webster Avenues of Middle Hill there will be another as well.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I'm not a profet nor am I reading a crystal ball... but there will be at least five more homicides if things don't change in the Hill! In the heart of Terrace Village, certian projects that make up Addision Terrace will be the next to lay cliam to a homicide or two. While Chauncey Drive and to a lesser degree Reed Roberts are bound to have a murder or two... In the side streets in between Centre & Webster Avenues of Middle Hill there will be another as well.
I have a feeling it will be a record breaking year. Keeping in mind East Liberty is smaller now because they tore down so much crap. The Hill is where many went. It is going to be a record year for sure. Shootings like crazy.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM

I'm pretty sure East Liberty was/is the So Icey Boyz Cripz hood, while the Hill is blood; and if given the choice idk if any East Liberty thugs would wanna move in. I'd say 5 out of the 8 homicides are gang related/inner gang related... While the other three are due to trivial matter being setteled with a gun or a shank. So the saying "hood nig*** always gotta take it to the burner," (or blade in that matter) goes in the Hill DistriCK! Although, I agree with h_curtis: IF things don't this will likely be a record breacking year for the Hill since '93... Homewood's sets are gonna have to start "raggin' up and ridin'," if they wanna stay da baddest hood in da Burgh! Hell! Give the Hill District a couple more bad years like this and Homewood more mellow ones and the Hill might become the new murder capitol!

Last edited by Uptown kid; 05-23-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I'm pretty sure East Liberty was/is the So Icey Boyz Cripz hood, while the Hill is blood; and if given the choice idk if any East Liberty thugs would wanna move in.
"idk"? I was expecting a 3-4 page report on where the E. Liberty gangs are migrating to. Lets get to it.

Seriously, I wonder if there is any migrating going on? Lots of very bad projects are in East Liberty still and they may be there forever, but there are fewer and people went somewhere.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM

346 posts, read 537,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgheer View Post
post-gazette article

actual report (neighborhood stats start on page 58 and continue through page 72)

According to this article Mt. Oliver is one of the safest places in the city!!! Someone failed to report!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,098,290 times
Don't Fear the City: Urban America's Crime Drops to Lowest in 40 Years - Richard Florida - National - The Atlantic

Interesting National trend.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,728,582 times

Coincidence? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh