Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times

Advertisements

Things are more complex than simply assimilate or separate..In real life people do both..assimilate on a job or at a theater or a play but might go to an all black church or belong to a historic black social club such
as the Links...

I think a lot of things people explain in terms of race are better explained in terms of class..People are
simply going to associate with people they feel most comfortable with...I get along very well with
West Africans and have caught flack from some Black Americans because of it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
Yes, gentrification is an issue that was overlooked and black neighborhoods are being integrated for
now...I think the more important issue and key to this whole thing is income levels..

Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Manchester - what about the entire Northside, and whites are moving into Manchester a black neighborhood...
Believe me, that's not the case at all. Whites are moving from Manchester.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Please stop it.....fact remain Pittsburgh isn't even close to being as segregated as other cities in America.

Middle Hill, Terrace Village - Its all the Hill what's you point...If that's the case why didnt list Oak Hill with a siginificant amount of White living there with Blacks.

Southside flats what is that 10% of the entire soutside....

Manchester - what about the entire Northside, and whites are moving into Manchester a black neighborhood...

Lower and Upper Lawerencevilles???? its all Lawerceville...

Again stop splitting hairs to try and prove your point. Which I still haven't figured out that what is.
Splitting hairs? I posted my findings. I think Pittsburgh is pretty segregated. All of the Northside as one neighborhood is silly. The only reason that place is lumped together is because it used to be its own city called Allegheny. You have to break that up into its real sections. Are you going to tell me Northview Heights is close enough to Manchester to be considered living in the same neighborhood? Do you think the people living in East Allegheny feel that is the same as Manchester?

The Hill District is also huge.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 AM
gg

Quote:
Please stop it.....fact remain Pittsburgh isn't even close to being as segregated as other cities in America.
Southside flats what is that 10% of the entire soutside....
Southside Slopes 95% white.

Seriously, Pittsburgh is much more segregated than I ever imagined. Wow!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 AM
gg

Crawford Roberts 87% black
Bedford Dwellings 99% black

Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Wow the Hill is black...who would've thunk???? Gee a new on me....all you're doing is h_curtis is pointing out ghetto's vs non ghettos...The Pittsburgh metro is majority white, blacks only make up 33%....So any neighborhood that isn't a ghetto is pretty much going to be a majority white....But it doesn't stop the AAs from moving into those same neighborhoods and once they become affluent..along with Gays, Asians, Latinos and Middle Easterns.

So not only is Pittsburgh not segregated as I have proven...This also shows Affluent blacks dont have problem with moving into the White suburbs.

Blacks increase numbers in Western Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

The artical even goes on to say Pittsburgh "Attracting" blacks, now how can that be if its such a racist segregated place? I guess the those blacks didn't get the Memo.

Quote:
Compared with last decade's 1.8 percent growth, Allegheny County's black population jumped more significantly in the 2000 census, when it rose 6.3 percent from 1990.
Cory McGhee is living in a Monroeville apartment while starting his Plum business, McGhee Moving and Logistics. He hopes to move his wife and two children here from Cleveland when he's sure his company will make it.
"The cost of living is about the same; it's maybe a little cheaper here than in Cleveland," said McGhee, 37. "Downtown Pittsburgh has more good things to do."
Doris Carson Williams, president of the African American Chamber of Commerce of Western Pennsylvania, said the region's endurance through the nation's economic downfall could be attracting black residents. Williams thinks more black people also are returning to their hometowns in the region.
"It's somewhat of a safe haven," she said. "The cost of living is lower, and companies are making offers to individuals."

Read more: Blacks increase numbers in Western Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1NlZscAZ6

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 05-29-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Why do people seem to be looking for some perfect 50-50 white-black split*? According to Wikipedia Metro Pittsburgh is almost 90% white and 7% black, and the city proper is 67% white and 27% black. That means if every person in the area was randomly assigned a suburb or neighborhood to live in, a lot of them would end up looking like Bloomfield (84% white), and a place like lower Lawrenceville (22% black) would be just about right for the city proper, and disproportionately black for the metro. In short, the Pittsburgh area just has a lot of white people; so many that it is impractical for there not to be a ton of areas that are mostly white.

*FWIW I think the Central Northside is about as close to a 50-50 white-black split you can find in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:45 PM
gg

I just got back from a nice walk with a friend of mine from NOVA. I just asked him if he thought the Pittsburgh area was segregated. He laughed and said, of course it is. I have posted numbers that say it is very segregated with areas that are overwhelmingly black.

Maybe we are looking at this differently? I agree that any black can move in any area and I don't think many would pay attention to it, unless it is a place like Springdale or the like, but anywhere in Pittsburgh, I don't think people would notice. If that is your meaning, I agree, but if you think there are not huge pockets of whites and blacks in and around the city, I have to disagree because the numbers I posted.

I don't think this stuff has much meaning. Blacks and whites can move about and I don't think there would be anyone caring much about any of it. Maybe there are many black people that would prefer to live amongst black people and whites that want to live amongst whites? Asians that want to live around Asians, Jews that want to live in Jewish areas? Whatever floats peoples boats. No meaning that I can see from it all. Who cares?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM

101 posts, read 218,513 times
I got to admit this New Englander native is finding this conversation an absolute hoot.

You want to see segregated?

Go north. There are NO people of color in most parts of New England. The high school I attended was 100% white.

I think some people in this post are seriously giving Pittsburgh a very bad rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh