Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
OK. That might be interesting--go for it!
I'd rather not, actually. Unless it has a specific point to it, I don't like to single out neighborhoods for criticism.

My point was just that the vast majority of the area is safe to walk around at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,769 times
Don't go through: Homewood, parts of the Hill District, East Hills, Northview Heights, Larimer, parts of Wilkinsburgh, Beltzhoover, Knoxvile, Mt. Oliver Borough, Duquense, most of McKessport, most of Garfield, parts of Lincoln-Lemmington, most of Hazelwood, most of Homestead, Glen Hazel, parts of Penn Hills, Allentown, most of Arlington, Mt Oliver, whats left of Arlington Heights and St. Clair Village, part of Manchester, most of Perry South, California-Kirkbride, part of Marshall-Shadeland, part of FineView, parts of Clairton, part of West Mifflin, most of Carrick, part of East Liberty, part of Sheredan, part of Fairywood, part of Crafton Heights, part of Swissvale, part of North Braddock, most of Braddock, Rankin, part of McKees Rocks, part of South Oakland, most of Central Northside, East Dutchtown, part of North Versallies, Leland Pointe, most of West Oakland.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
most of Central Northside, East Dutchtown....
I don't know if I would agree with these two. I think Central is fine and Dutchtown is okay.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Walk north of Sampsiona, West of Federel St... Play a hoop game with the OG of the Hoodtown Mafia... I've seen Many of gang members slang dope on many corners going through East Dutchtown (east of the highway in East Allegheny) over the years through a car window... Its gotten WAY better but walk through there at night... And you'll miss good old Regent Square h curtis Hell I'd rather walk through Upper Larwancville or Elliot/West End, which one could arguee onto the list, than Hoodtown turf in Central Northside or East Dutchtown!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 PM
gg

Quote:
Walk north of Sampsiona, West of Federel St... Play a hoop game with the OG of the Hoodtown Mafia... I've seen Many of gang members slang dope on many corners going through East Dutchtown (east of the highway in East Allegheny) over the years through a car window... Its gotten WAY better but walk through there at night... And you'll miss good old Regent Square h curtis Hell I'd rather walk through Upper Larwancville or Elliot/West End, which one could arguee onto the list, than Hoodtown turf in Central Northside or East Dutchtown!
Okay. I will except this, but I did need clarification. Uptown, you generally have a pretty good handle on this. I am not fearful, but can put myself in other's shoes. I used to ride my bike on Meadow in Lincoln Larimer at night and never thought about it. Actually several of the black folk thought it was funny and raced me on their bikes. They were cool with me. Only issue I ever had was someone said they were going to kill me in Lower Lawrenceville. I am glad I didn't carry back then, or I would have pulled. I am getting the gun back though. I think it is time to carry again.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Iight killa... I mean if I HAD to I'd take my chances on Webster Avenue @ night... In a group with other young black men I've gone through Hamilton Avenue, and Frankstown Avenue, in Homewood, Broad Street Garfield, 2nd Avenue Hazelwood, Bulavard of the Allies, South Oakland and Freeland Street in Beltzhoover at night... If you never look a scary person in the eyes... With a group where every one walks and talks like a thug you'll make it out OK walking on a BAD street at night... Well know rule of thumb, step foot in the projects with know family or friends after dark with even with 15 people and your toast

Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I know where both Larimer and Lincoln-Lemington are, but where is Lincoln-Larimer?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 PM
gg

Quote:
... even with 15 people and your toast
No way I can let that slide. You roll in with 15 people, everyone thinks somethings going down and people don't want to deal with that. Take it from someone that used to go to ALL black bars and being the ONLY white guy, it is good you have another person with you. Sure I played the role well, but if I was totally alone, I don't know.

I gotta tell you, most everyone was really cool to me and I stick out in a black crowed. Blonde hair and the whole deal. I don't blend. That is how I met Sly Jock. It was at Gandy's. Sure was a while back and I am getting older by the minute. I don't think I am the same person at this late age, but blacks seem to get along with me in person. Just not on here. I was even giving Dejuan Blair a few pointers on the court, but people here don't even know what I am talking about. No seriously, I did give him a few pointers at a football game when Schenley was playing Brashear. We were in the stands together. This was in his HS days. I told him I could take him and he could bring along DJ K to help him out.

Actually there was someone else on that team that I felt would be better than all of them, but he never made it. Who was it? Does anyone on here know? I doubt it, but I know the hood better than most here. I will give a hint. When DJ and Blair were seniors, he was a Jr. If you need another hint let me know. Let see if people really know.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I know where both Larimer and Lincoln-Lemington are, but where is Lincoln-Larimer?
An area just by East Liberty. Go to Google Maps and follow Meadow. It isn't a place for you and it would scare you. It is like a tiny Hill District. Very tiny, but it can get you.

We always called it Lincoln Larimer because it had those streets in it.

There was a time when Italians lived on Larimer Ave. They were very tough to say the least. Here are the names and maybe they ring a bell. Peter C. Dozzi (Jendico), Massaro and "Corky" of COST constuction. Cost was of course Castellano, but Cost is the name now. They all made it VERY big in Pittsburgh. Must have been interesting times on that street. I don't think many people messed with that street, but I am just guessing.

Last edited by gg; 06-05-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Squirrel Hill
Shadyside
Oakland (not sure about the part south of the Boulevard of the Allies, i.e., South South Oakland)
not East Liberty
not Friendship

These are really the only neighborhoods I know.
Practically the entire area of E. Liberty bounded by Negley, Penn, and Center is completely safe and full of places to walk to at night.

As some others have pointed out, there are too many safe places to list. I think it would be better to ask for a list of areas where it is both safe to walk, and where there would be things worth walking to late at night. With that in mind, I think that Bloomfield and Lawrenceville deserve a mention. Southside, too, assuming drunks roaming the streets on the weekends don't bother you.

Incidentally, I would say that all of Friendship is safe to walk in at night. It's actually one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city, I definitely recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh