Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 PM

524 posts, read 1,039,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Hard to find on the map. What is located in the "stretch" you're talking about?
I believe the exact area he is referring to includes the 6000 - 6700 blocks of Penn Avenue, between Penn Circle East and Penn Circle West, with the center being the intersection of Penn and Highland. Thus far, this stretch has been relatively untouched by new development, but imho has huge potential for commercial success due to the wide sidewalks and solid buildings (albeit in need of some serious renovations). The Kelly-Strayhorn Theatre is on this stretch. Because of the development on all side of this particular area, I believe that once a very few successful businesses set up shop here, the tipping point will occur and redevelopment will be swift. If the Highland Building project gets underway, there's no stopping the changes to this area. The location is just too good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM
gg

26,135 posts, read 26,114,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Personally, I tend to see that whole area around the church (extending roughly a couple blocks in all directions) as a single district.
Correct. That is the area with the most potential IMHO. Penn Ave. has the is nice and wide, so it really lends itself to nice cafe's. I hope someone has the guts to open one up and maybe if it does well there will be more to follow. It could be really nice. Possibly the nicest area of the East End if you just look at the street's design. Wide and lots of possibilities. The Presbyterian Church of course is a marvel and no doubt one of the nicest churches in PA.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
gg

Anyone know how much they charge for a pound of coffee? Is it an expensive place? I usually try and find Eight O'clock coffee in the large bag already ground, but it is hard to find. Always looking for a replacement, but most coffee shops coffees are stupidly expensive. I suspect this place would be expensive, but just had this strange hope.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,741,081 times
If you like Eight O'clock this shop won't likely interest you. They're going to be roasting locally, which generally means if they're going to that trouble they're going to be sourcing expensive stuff direct from growers. That doesn't guarantee all their coffee will be significantly more expensive, but there's a reasonable likelihood that it'll be more than the commodity stuff.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If you like Eight O'clock this shop won't likely interest you. They're going to be roasting locally, which generally means if they're going to that trouble they're going to be sourcing expensive stuff direct from growers. That doesn't guarantee all their coffee will be significantly more expensive, but there's a reasonable likelihood that it'll be more than the commodity stuff.
Yeah it is tough to beat Eight O'clock Columbian. It beats lots of high priced so-called "gourmet" coffee all the time in taste tests. It is about $16 for 34oz I think, which is sort of hard to beat. Sometimes it is on sale for $10 for 34oz, but that is rare. I bought 12 of them last time it was that cheap.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,112,778 times
The master plan for East Liberty envisions turning the area around the church into sort of a European-style cathedral square, and I think it is a good bet that will eventually include things like sidewalk cafes.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 PM
gg

Quote:
The master plan for East Liberty envisions turning the area around the church into sort of a European-style cathedral square, and I think it is a good bet that will eventually include things like sidewalk cafes.
Do you have any links for the plans. Brian next time you are around there really take a close look at Penn Ave around the church. It is a very rare site anywhere in the US to have a situation that is so conducive to cafe's and a real feel of Paris. It really could work there. Look at that area compared to Shadyside or South Side or really anywhere. That street is set up for cafe's. Will it happen? I hope so because tourists... (YES I SAID TOURISTS!!!) could tour that amazing church that the Mellons built and eat at wonderful cafe's. I don't think anywhere else has that kind of room in the city.

I am sorry I am so excited about the idea of this. I have travelled extensively and know every main area in Pittsburgh to know that this is a truly rare opportunity to be something more than great. It could be something even the European traveller would remember. The potential is there. Someone needs to lay down a big bunch of cash and do it.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Do you have any links for the plans.
Indeed, here is the Town Square Plan (warning: large PDF):

http://www.eastlibertypost.com/sitedocs/town_square_lg.pdf (broken link)

You can skip to page 40 if you just want to start looking at the actual plan. And on pages 53-55, you can see where they are specifically planning for cafe spaces along Penn Avenue.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
gg

Quote:
Indeed, here is the Town Square Plan (warning: large PDF):

http://www.eastlibertypost.com/sitedocs/town_square_lg.pdf (broken link)

You can skip to page 40 if you just want to start looking at the actual plan. And on pages 53-55, you can see where they are specifically planning for cafe spaces along Penn Avenue.
I fear looking! You know me by now Brian. Will I like it?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:23 PM

I can only speak for myself, but I like it.

Here are some images from the PDF:

An overall view:

Street plan for Penn Avenue running next to the church square:

Proposed street-level design:

You can see the cafe component in both of those street renderings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh