Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

This thread is for chatting about ANYTHING! Nothing is off topic! It doesn't even have to be about Pittsburgh!

It's a nice way to talk about off forum topics with people we've been posting with regularly through the years.

(No nasty fighting though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM

This is the first topic that inspired my idea for a Pittsburgh Chat Thread.

I read this wonderful news and wanted to share it with people in the Pittsburgh forum.

But I couldn't figure out a way to make a Pittsburgh spin on it! Hence, the Pittsburgh Chat Thread!

First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110603/us_yblog_thelookout/first-man-functionally-cured-of-hiv - broken link)

Unfortunately only wealth people will be able to afford it (plus, it's dangerous and the odds of finding a match aren't good).

But hopefully it's a clue to an affordable and safe vaccine in the future.

I was surprised to learn that 1% of Caucasians are immune to HIV. This is the first time I've heard that. That tells me that a vaccine is possible someday.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM

My Lambs Ear has relocated itself to the other side of my garden.

It's all through the middle of my Becky Shasta Daisy.

I had no idea Lambs Ear can be invasive.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
My wife and I have been toying with the idea of buying a weekend place. Nothing fancy. Basically, a hunting camp/cottage within two hours of Pittsburg. I don't really want to take out a mortgage to buy it so it would have to be fairly cheap. Say under 40,000. I don't hunt and I don't fish but I like the idea of gettting away for the weekend with my family. I would prefer that it would't be a mobile home crammed into a campground. My worry is that we, my wife and two boys ages 3 and 4, won't use it enough. I am especially worried because at some point my boys will get into sports and their activities will prevent us form getting away. Does anyone have a camp? Does your family like going there? Location? Is this reasonable for my budget?

A lake house sounds nice but pretty much every lake around here has gotten pricey. I know there are some smaller lakes in Ohio. Anyone been to some of these?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Now I can talk about Northern Virginia all I want!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My Lambs Ear has relocated itself to the other side of my garden.

It's all through the middle of my Becky Shasta Daisy.

I had no idea Lambs Ear can be invasive.
Oh, yeah. I "inherited" some Lamb's Ear from the previous owner when I bought my house, and I find it in random spots. It's not really invasive, but from time to time it pops up somewhere unexpected.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-08-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
My wife and I have been toying with the idea of buying a weekend place. Nothing fancy. Basically, a hunting camp/cottage within two hours of Pittsburg. I don't really want to take out a mortgage to buy it so it would have to be fairly cheap. Say under 40,000. I don't hunt and I don't fish but I like the idea of gettting away for the weekend with my family. I would prefer that it would't be a mobile home crammed into a campground. My worry is that we, my wife and two boys ages 3 and 4, won't use it enough. I am especially worried because at some point my boys will get into sports and their activities will prevent us form getting away. Does anyone have a camp? Does your family like going there? Location? Is this reasonable for my budget?

A lake house sounds nice but pretty much every lake around here has gotten pricey. I know there are some smaller lakes in Ohio. Anyone been to some of these?
We have 100 acres about 2 hours north of Pittsburgh. My husband bought it with his friends whne he was 20. We're down to two owners now---hubby and one other friend----because the two others have died.

Hubby used it regularly prior to meeting me. Our children are young adults now. We used the camp constantly when they were younger. We went there almost every weekend. We would even go a few weekends in the winter too. It was great with a big snow. The kids and the dogs loved it.

We didnt' get too busy to use it until about middle school years. By too busy, I mean we stopped going most weekends as a family and only went up a few times per year over the past 8 years. Of course, hubby would go up to hunt and fish a few weekends more, and the kids still went up occassionally with their father. Oh, and there's one week per year that hubby and friends have a big bash up there. Now that the kids are adults, they get to join the adults for that.

Yeah, we definitely cut back our usage during those teen years. I personally haven't been to camp in over 5 years myself. This summer, hubby and I plan to go up every weekend. The kids are grown and we're left feeling like our nest is empty---time to fill it with other things. I hope we get back into the groove. And the kids are now taking their friends up there on the weekends.

So, if you stick with it, you'll find that it can come full circle. The kids will have great memories and somewhere to go when they're young adults, and later with their own children (as our other owners children now go up with their children). Hubby wants to build our retirement home on the property. I'm on the fence about that idea.

If you do buy in the middle of nowhere, ask me for tips. You don't want to keep a generator up there. It will get stolen. That's what happened to neighboring camps that had generators. We do rustic, no electricty but we have heat and water. Different friends of ours have a little house on a river or big stream---in a little row of houses with yards, like living here---with full utilities and all the amenities of a home. It's up to you to decide how rustic and isolated you want to be.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-08-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Now I can talk about Northern Virginia all I want!
Yep! And if you become boring, annoying, or tiresome about it, we can ignore you all we want too!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, yeah. I "inherited" some Lamb's Ear from the previous owner when I bought my house, and I find it all over the place.
That's such a shame. I've had both the Lambs Ear and the Becky Shasta for over 10 years. It took a long time for that Lambs Ear to hop to the other side of the guarden. Now I don't know what to do. I like when plants naturalize, but I can't let it take over Becky. I'm surprised too because Becky is such a sturdy plant. I guess I need to rip up the Lambs Ear where I don't want it or I'll end up with a mess.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
So, if you stick with it, you'll find that it can come full circle. The kids will have great memories and somewhere to go when they're young adults, and later with their own children (as our other owners children now go up with their children). Hubby wants to build our retirement home on the property. I'm on the fence about that idea.
This is sort of what I want to give our kids. My grandparents had a place that my father and his brothers sold in the mid 1970's before my sisters and i got to experience it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh