Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 AM

110 posts, read 193,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffy71 View Post
As a relative newcomer, I like Pittsburgh and believe it has a lot going for it. However, I am always saddened by the sorry state of downtown. Unless you are in the Cultural District it seems like a barren wasteland in the evenings. Its compact size and fantastic architecture should translate to it being a real hub. Having recently returned from a trip to Philadelphia I was reminded of how great it is to have a vital and energetic center city. My understanding is that the Philadelphia downtown was in very poor shape 25 years ago, but has been able to turn around. I know Philadelphia is much larger than Pittsburgh, has a different history, and has some geographic advantages for growth (e.g., close proximity to D.C. and NYC), but I am wondering if anyone knows more about how their transformation happened and if this could be replicated here?
Or is this already happening here and I am unaware of the changes?

some developers and investors are trying to do that, they know that they need to attract the single professionals into the downtown area and realize have to provide places for them to live, that is why in some places around the country and the world there is apartment buildings that are being converted from old buildings into beautiful Efficiencies and Studios because but they are trying not to lose the character that makes Pittsburgh Pittsburgh and some of these are going in the 400-800 range but since it has an open floor plan and hard wood floors it is more affordable to add some high end amenities like granite counter tops hard wood floors heat bathroom floors, workout centers, conference rooms, reading rooms, outdoor patios and gardens etc. and still be affordable to the single professionals that are just looking for a place to be comfortable and relax, so they are trying but they are limited by space since downtown is river locked and you can't very well destroy the buildings that gives downtown it's character, so it is a difficult balance to try to meet and if you want to see more on downtown try this link Pittsburgh Downtown Living - Condominiums and Lofts - Moving to Pittsburgh - Official Pittsburgh CVB it has some nice apartments in and around the downtown some very expensive some not so bad if you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Wow, they are really charging a lot for parking. No doubt people that make the trip into the city and get charged so much won't just come into the city at night for fun.

Parking Meter Changes in City Of Pittsburgh Taking Some Concert-Goers Off Guard « CBS Pittsburgh

The city of Pittsburgh is always trying to find ways of sticking it to people to pay off things that are unrelated to the industries they pick on. One of the industries they pick on the most are bars and restaurants and this parking meter enforcement after 6:00PM is just something on top of the huge drink tax. I don't think the downtown will ever be very vital when you can find free parking around Shadyside, South Side and other places around. Just too expensive.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Downtown serves as a transportation hub for the region, and that is both one of its strengths and its weaknesses.

Thousands of commuters transfer between PAT busses in town even rather late into the evening as people make their way between their homes in different inner city neighborhoods and the outlying malls, convalescent homes and other employers in the suburbs.

This is positive, as it bring folks through the neighborhood and got to be positive for the McDonalds and other lowbrow restauranteers. But it doesn't help with bringing in folks with money or fancy beaneries.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
That article explains the large amounts they charge for parking at concerts. Enforcing the meters until 10 are still going to leave them much less expensive. So unless those concert promoters don't understand their own market, that article doesn't imply that concert-goers will be deterred by the new meter policies.

To sum up, as usual, some people are refusing to believe what the market is telling them.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 AM
gg

Again, you are missing the topic the OP started. Is raising parking expenses to visitors making downtown more vital? No. If people went to the concert and had to pay those outrageous amounts to park going to go to the city and enjoy the nightlife? No. Is robbing one industry (restaurants/bars) to pay for other shortcomings a good idea? I think the drink tax was more than enough, but now it is harder to park downtown, so you might as well just say Pittsburgh is closed after people are done working.

I used to be in Pittsburgh every Thursday night to play a sport. Interestingly, if I still played the sport I would be playing it in the suburbs because they don't play downtown any longer.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
It is true Downtown is unlikely to be a good place to hang out and drink all night with only a five dollar bill in your pocket.

But that isn't the only market in the world.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is true Downtown is unlikely to be a good place to hang out and drink all night with only a five dollar bill in your pocket.

But that isn't the only market in the world.
Okay, what other industry is year around and is a night time activity? Sure there are plays and music shows, but that is pretty limited. People aren't going to go downtown, pay for parking at very high rates and eat, drink and be merry.

This topic was how to make downtown more vital. Make it more friendly to the visitors is a way of doing so. Now you can't even park free at off hours and the city is dead as it is. This is good news for nearby suburbs where people can park for free and relax.

Oh yeah and why did they extend the hours at the meters?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM
gg

There are ways to make downtown more exciting at night. If the old trolleys were running and cool and retro, then downtown could be more exciting because it would have something unique going on. Catch a trolly downtown. Guess that isn't going to happen, but maybe really cool trains running from Oakmont or Aspinwall into the city. What about using the rivers to get people into the city. I river taxi from Millvale, a sort of park and boat in. There are ways to get things going, but mostly it would need to be a collaboration with restaurants/bars and transportation. It would need to be something of interest and not some simple idea. Revolve things around functions. Take a water taxi in to enjoy the art galleries and wine tastings all for one reasonable price. Enjoy an old steam train to the city for a free concert at Point State Park. Maybe a once a week in the summer idea to start and try and build it up from there.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
Don't forget the city also admitted they will need to hire more meter maids to enforce the longer hours. So nothing was gained except how much money can be bled from the citizens. I avoid downtown like the plague. If for some reason I have to drive into the city I have to check maps and traffic reports because you know something will be detoured or closed. Its like planning a trip to the moon.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Weekend Garage parking downtown is quite reasonable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh