Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm not sure those are mutually-exclusive. They are radical in terms of policy, because they are cynical in terms of their duties and obligations as public officials.
True, and as with any radical political movement you have the cold-stare true-believer Heydrich types and the opportunistic fellow-traveler Ribbentrop types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I support public transit because it can help keep people who don't belong on the Interstates off the Interstates. (And by that I mean slow drivers.)

Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I thought the union and Onorato were meeting to see if they can agree on some concessions to lessen the burden of of the cuts. Whatever happened to this? Am I correct to assume that the unions would rather have a certain percentage of the union brothers lose their jobs then collectively make concessions.

This is what I don't understand about unions in general. At some point I would think that they would care about some of the union brothers being laid off but that hasn't been the case. Look at all of the bus drivers that were laid off and all of the teachers being laid off prior to the start of the school year and the unions aren't offering any proposals that would prevent this.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Whatever happened to this?
As I recall, it ended with a shouting match.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Blaming everyone is the same as blaming no one, because it holds no one accountable for what they actually are doing.

The City has virtually nothing to do with funding public transit. The County does play a role, but the County is fulfilling its funding commitments to PAT.

This crisis is occurring precisely because the State is not fulfilling its funding commitments. Again, if you blame everyone for that instead of the actual state officials responsible, it is like blaming no one at all.

Why aren't YOU?

Seriously, you take yourself out of the game when you fall for the "everyone is to blame" nonsense. That is precisely what the people who are really to blame want you to think.
I again, giving people of power a pass, which is exactly what you're doing...is no better.

Blaming everyone does not equate to blaming no-one, that's a radical view on your part.

Blaming everyone, as every politician that has a hand in PAT demise should be held accountable, not just some or one group and not the other. Blaming everyone who rightfully has a hand in this mess, should get the public to stand up and demand serious change, politicians will listen when they know they're a** is on the line.

Again the mayor may not have much power in solving PAT's problem, but he has a powerful voice of the region, and can come out and make a stand not supporting what Corbett is doing...But again you give him a pass because he not directly the culprit...

I'm sorry but that line of thinking is exactly how politicians like Corbett get right into office.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I thought the union and Onorato were meeting to see if they can agree on some concessions to lessen the burden of of the cuts. Whatever happened to this? Am I correct to assume that the unions would rather have a certain percentage of the union brothers lose their jobs then collectively make concessions.

This is what I don't understand about unions in general. At some point I would think that they would care about some of the union brothers being laid off but that hasn't been the case. Look at all of the bus drivers that were laid off and all of the teachers being laid off prior to the start of the school year and the unions aren't offering any proposals that would prevent this.
Please that was a front some more BS lines to get the story off the front page of the PG and so the Local Media will quit talking about it.

Onorato just wants to get the hell outta office, since he knows wont run again. His brand is already damage with the region, so he'll just leave the mess for the next County Exec to clean up.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Boy Mayor should speak up. If there are no busses, less people will be able to come downtown. Isn't that what he wants?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Blaming everyone, as every politician that has a hand in PAT demise should be held accountable, not just some or one group and not the other. Blaming everyone who rightfully has a hand in this mess, should get the public to stand up and demand serious change, politicians will listen when they know they're a** is on the line.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but you fail to identify how the local pols have a "hand in this mess". As was previously stated, the County is meeting it's promised funding obligations to PAT, at least for now, and the shortfall is entirely at the State level.

I think you tend to overestimate the ability of an urban, Democratic mayor getting on his soapbox to change anything in Harrisburg. There's probably a line of thinking that would suggest anything seen as "political grandstanding" could be counterproductive.

If blaming those at fault and not every politician for every problem is a "radical" point of view, consider me Robespierre.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Onorato just wants to get the hell outta office, since he knows wont run again. His brand is already damage with the region, so he'll just leave the mess for the next County Exec to clean up.
I think it's important to note that the damage done to his brand locally was largely as a result of pushing through an unpopular drink tax to ensure the County's contribution to PAT could be met.

I think you're largely on an anti-politician rant without much intellectual consistency of positions. If you support PAT and it's mission, you have to at least respect Onorato for taking an unpopular position to fund it rather than abandoning the level of promised County funding like the State has done.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Boy Mayor should speak up. If there are no busses, less people will be able to come downtown. Isn't that what he wants?
Luke only wants to Speak out when it paints him in a favorable light...anything such as the Port Authority problem, which will affect the city far more than any other municipality, he hides under his desk and hope no one mentions his name in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh