Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If you're forced to move because your neighborhood has become too expensive, how do you qualify as "rich"?
Are people really that out of touch that they think only people living in Homewood lose their homes due to a situation like losing one's job or some family situation? If you can't afford where you are living, you move to something cheaper. Why should certain people get special treatment? Sure there is the rare case that someone can't work at all or is disabled, but they are rare. Tons of able bodies living off the hard work of others out there and I don't feel they should be able to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Are people really that out of touch that they think only people living in Homewood lose their homes due to a situation like losing one's job or some family situation? If you can't afford where you are living, you move to something cheaper. Why should certain people get special treatment? Sure there is the rare case that someone can't work at all or is disabled, but they are rare. Tons of able bodies living off the hard work of others out there and I don't feel they should be able to do it.
All of this is obviously true, but not if you're rich. If you're rich, you can afford to live wherever you want, by definition. If you're having problems affording the place where you live, you have money issues, which by definition makes you something other than rich.

Here's a link to google's definitions of "rich," the first of which is "Having a great deal of money or assets; wealthy":

http://www.google.com/search?q=rich+...w=1440&bih=704

Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
All of this is obviously true, but not if you're rich. If you're rich, you can afford to live wherever you want, by definition. If you're having problems affording the place where you live, you have money issues, which by definition makes you something other than rich.

Here's a link to google's definitions of "rich," the first of which is "Having a great deal of money or assets; wealthy":

rich definition - Google Search
I could care less what Google says what rich is. Common sense tells me "rich" means very different things to very different people. I can use myself as an example. Many people think I am rich, but in some circles I am poor. All depends on who is using the term "rich". In Homewood, many people posting on this forum are very rich, but in Fox Chapel, many are very poor.

Good luck trying to convince anyone differently. Do you think Warren Buffet looks at me and says, "He is rich."? Ha, ha, ha, you are kidding right?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The twin spires of a church on Larimer Ave are in bad shape and are a real eye sore that can be seen from East Liberty. That building is a symbol of Larimer's deterioration that anyone can see before they get to the area. I would think that Larimer's chances would improve immeasurably if that church was either renovated or razed.
Wasn't that the church they used at the end of Dogma?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post

It is indeed, I just realized that.

SS Peter and Paul at 130 Larimer Ave.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
It would probably be best if that area was raised and they build a cool "green" neighborhood that allowed no cars. Now that would be cool. Just garages outside the town limits, but all walking inside. Kids riding bikes safely and no stupid SUV's everywhere. It would probably sell like hotcakes.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
The people who would want to live in an area like that would undoubtedly be absolutely unbearable.

I imagine you'd buy the first lot.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
The people who would want to live in an area like that would undoubtedly be absolutely unbearable.

I imagine you'd buy the first lot.
Group hug time?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Eugh, not with a flip-flop wearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh