Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times

Advertisements

Turnpike toll plan would be costly without E-ZPass

An interesting article on the PG website this morning. I'm really worried that this will make it past the legislature. I've driven through these new unmanned booths in Denver(they have them on the outer beltway), and while they're nice for low traffic areas I doubt they would work well on the high traffic exists on the turnpike. I also don't like the fact that these essentially re-direct a nice chunk of toll revenue to private companies. For all the complaining about toll booth workers making $12/hour, I am highly skeptical that this will save a dime. This little tidbit in the article increases my suspicion:

The report estimated it would cost $320 million to install all-electronic tolling on the turnpike, and about $83 million a year to operate it.

All-electronic tolling would save money by eliminating the cost of toll collectors -- currently $65 million a year.

I hope there is some extra costs associated with the current system on top of that $65 million, otherwise someone has some explaining to do. Probably not, just more typical government math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
We already have EZ Pass in Pennsylvania. I'm quite happy with it. It sounds like Denver has them set up like the Ohio Turnpike, where you still have to come to a near total stop. The PA EZ pass has booths like that, but I hope they can all get set up like the one at the PA/OH state line, you just go into the EZ pass lanes and maintain a speed of 55mph and that's it. It's a piece of cake.

My main beef with EZ pass is that I don't like re-upping to $35 on my account when I only need $4 and change at at a time. Most trips feel free because of this, but some trips feel extra expensive.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The report estimated it would cost $320 million to install all-electronic tolling on the turnpike, and about $83 million a year to operate it.

All-electronic tolling would save money by eliminating the cost of toll collectors -- currently $65 million a year.
I saw that same thing earlier and had the same WTF reaction.

I mean, clearly, I can see the toll takers being a big cost. Supposedly they make a lot of money for an unskilled job. But what is the point of eliminating them if it costs MORE? That's just stupid.

Plus, I'm trying to figure out scenarios that don't work well for E-ZPass. Like when I rent a car to drive to DC for work. Yes, in theory I could take my own personal E-ZPass, but if it misreads for some reason I need to have it tied to the car, which means registering its plate, which means remembering to unregister its plate, and so on. Sometimes you can use the car rental's service for that (at extra fee on top of toll, which is not too bad for work), but if it doesn't have a transponder in the car, I can't. So then they would mail the rental car company the bill, and the company would charge me more for dealing with that, usually $25 service fee or such, on top of the crazy increased tolls.

I think they could cut way down on toll takers and try to remove more barriers and such, but doing totally away with them seems odd, especially if it's not going to save money.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
I love EZ Pass. I can't imagine not having it. I see people waiting in those lines and I don't get it. My favorite is the high speed ones. You don't even have to slow down. The one at the OH/PA line and there are several on the road down to Cal U/Uniontown. Don't even slow down. Huge savings in fuel/pollution by maintaining speed. Go EZ Pass!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
My main beef with EZ pass is that I don't like re-upping to $35 on my account when I only need $4 and change at at a time. Most trips feel free because of this, but some trips feel extra expensive.
There is, to my knowledge, at least one remaining E-ZPass you can get with no fee, and they only refill at $25. You can get it from the Peace Bridge Authority (technically the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority).

I've had two different E-ZPasses, first from the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission (never used their bridges while I had it). Then, when they instituted a MONTHLY fee (rip off), I closed that and got one from the Peace Bridge (never used the Peace Bridge with it either). Both only refill for $25 (instead of PTC $35) and not until you drop below $10.

One is under no obligation to get the E-ZPass from the state or other jurisdiction they live in/near. People who live outside the area get E-ZPass from a state within that area for their travels. People routinely got the Maryland pass back when they didn't charge an annual fee or whatever they charge now. And so on.

Last edited by greg42; 03-13-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
At a guess, that annual operating charge includes what they already have to pay to operate EZPass. So the actual question would be what additional operating charge they would occur.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 AM

357 posts, read 888,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There is, to my knowledge, at least one remaining E-ZPass you can get with no fee, and they only refill at $25. You can get it from the Peace Bridge Authority (technically the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority).

I've had two different E-ZPasses, first from the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission (never used their bridges while I had it). Then, when they instituted a MONTHLY fee (rip off), I closed that and got one from the Peace Bridge (never used the Peace Bridge with it either). Both only refill for $25 (instead of PTC $35) and not until you drop below $10.

E-ZPass is a great business. They get to both charge you a periodic fee, and they refill everyone's account at the $35 level and then get to sit on a huge mound of your cash until you get around to actually using the toll.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
E-ZPass is a great business. They get to both charge you a periodic fee, and they refill everyone's account at the $35 level and then get to sit on a huge mound of your cash until you get around to actually using the toll.
And since they automatically reload once your balance is below $10, they have a certain amount of your money trapped. I love falling to a $9 balance, enough for 2 prepaid trips to Ohio, but somehow being charged $26 for it instead.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,295 times
Quote:

I like having to pay extra if I don't want to use this "service."

Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
They do sit on the cash, yes. Peace Bridge does not charge you any periodic fee at all and they refill at $25 level.

At this point you get charged less on the turnpike for E-ZPass vs not, so that is the payoff (as well as not having to wait in lines, etc.) for having your cash tied up.

The discount is for any E-ZPass, so you can get the free one from the Peace Bridge and have less of your money tied up and no fees and get the discounted PA Turnpike toll rates, as well as use it for any other E-ZPass service (basically all northeast and midwest states, not sure where else, NOT Florida).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh