Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereksdad View Post
I own a business in Evans City. It is a nice little area, and is very convenient to Cranberry. the business district is small, but there is a grocery store, pharmacy, doctors offices, and of course a very nice mattress store! I have some customers that home school their children, but I'm also not sure of the regulations. It is a friendly community, though not very diverse. Zelie and harmony are also nice areas.
Kind of like Mt. Lebanon, but not as rich.

Just kidding, but that is just the way things are, if and when the Pgh area gets hot with jobs, things will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not a bad little area, not much in the way of newer homes, but then again, all urban types on this forum seem to hate cookie cutter plans.
True; however, they love cookie cutter row homes, just as long as they are at least one-hundred years old.

They hate the boxiness of new homes but love an old four square, which is basically a box.

They hate pre-fab new homes* but will drool over an old Sears catalog home.

I don't see why people can't appreciate new and old alike.

*In the interest of full disclosure, I find the concept of pre-fab homes kind of creepy myself.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,254 times
Wow! Thank you all so much! Kippy, thank you especially for the link to the Cyber school; that looks like an awesome option for education! Wexford, McConnells Mill and Evans City all look like places we would live and a decent commute. I can't wait to learn more about the area. Thank you!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerRidge View Post
Wow! Thank you all so much! Kippy, thank you especially for the link to the Cyber school; that looks like an awesome option for education! Wexford, McConnells Mill and Evans City all look like places we would live and a decent commute. I can't wait to learn more about the area. Thank you!
Cranberry is pretty close to the McConnells Mill area--I go up there every week or two for a "get-away" afternoon walk. I'd just be worried about the snow when we get to it. They seem to get significantly more up there.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,386 times
Slippery Rock

Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 AM

472 posts, read 626,684 times
Cranberry isn't rural?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Cranberry isn't rural?
It used to be rural; now, it is an exurb.

Here is Cranberry Township's official website: http://www.twp.cranberry.pa.us/ The video tours can give people who have never visited it, or who haven't been there in recent years, a sense of the Township and the huge amount of growth it has experienced recently.

Last edited by Kippy; 09-08-2011 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Added Link

Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Some of the north parts of Cranberry are still rural. The idea of having 1-5 acres AND being able to easily ride a bike to a store, though, that's almost impossible anywhere, not just around there. I think looking around Mars, Zelienople/Harmony, Evans City and similar is good if you want to be near a small town center, but you'll probably have to balance out the lot size vs proximity to the town. The school districts (Mars Area, or Seneca Valley for the other towns) are pretty good if you eventually use them.

These towns are not such that you'll be able to completely avoid the commercial center of Cranberry for some shopping, though. They aren't very big.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Some of the north parts of Cranberry are still rural. The idea of having 1-5 acres AND being able to easily ride a bike to a store, though, that's almost impossible anywhere, not just around there.
You can do this in Union Township, Shenango Township, Neshannock Township, Slippery Rock Township, whatever township surrounds Portersville, and the townships surrounding the city of Butler. Wilmington Township, too, I think. I lived on two acres in Shenango Township and it was less than a quarter-of-a-mile to Giant Eagle and the post office. No bike trails, but no traffic either. Forty minutes to Cranberry.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:37 AM

24 posts, read 20,696 times
I'm surprised there hasn't been any (or more) recommendations for W or NW of C'Berry.

Wherever you look, if you're buying, check into the mineral rights. The gas companies are coming through the areas NE to NW of C'Berry looking to lease land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh