Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
True; however, they love cookie cutter row homes, just as long as they are at least one-hundred years old.

They hate the boxiness of new homes but love an old four square, which is basically a box.

They hate pre-fab new homes* but will drool over an old Sears catalog home.

I don't see why people can't appreciate new and old alike.

*In the interest of full disclosure, I find the concept of pre-fab homes kind of creepy myself.
I wouldn't mind newer construction if it was done tastefully. What do I like? I like that newer subdivision in O'Hara Township that is just off Old Freeport Road. I believe it's called "Chapel Harbor". The homes there generally have rear alley access to garages so the facades are unobstructed, there are sidewalks, and there is more of a "community" feel there as a result when contrasted to most Maronda communities in Cranberry Township, for example, where there are no sidewalks, every home has vinyl siding with huge front-facing garages, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wouldn't mind newer construction if it was done tastefully. What do I like? I like that newer subdivision in O'Hara Township that is just off Old Freeport Road. I believe it's called "Chapel Harbor". The homes there generally have rear alley access to garages so the facades are unobstructed, there are sidewalks, and there is more of a "community" feel there as a result when contrasted to most Maronda communities in Cranberry Township, for example, where there are no sidewalks, every home has vinyl siding with huge front-facing garages, etc.
So, for the record, you like Ryan Homes? I, myself, prefer small local builders.

In all seriousness, I am glad to see that you are willing to acknowledge that not all new homes are evil. Not everything is black and white, and many times it seems that people equate old with good and new with bad without taking any other factors into consideration or without realizing that people are allowed to have different preferences.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:47 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
So, for the record, you like Ryan Homes? I, myself, prefer small local builders.

In all seriousness, I am glad to see that you are willing to acknowledge that not all new homes are evil. Not everything is black and white, and many times it seems that people equate old with good and new with bad without taking any other factors into consideration or without realizing that people are allowed to have different preferences.

Or that there WERE people in the "good old days" that built cheap disposable crap.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Stargazer,
You have received good advice here. The area north of Cranberry to Moraine, McConnells Mills and Portersville would seem to be your best bet. Some of the areas mentioned are a little outside of your "under 30 minute commute". These would include New Wilmington, Volant, Slippery Rock and Saxonburg.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Technically, you got it wrong. Do a Google satellite search of all the new Maronda plans in Cranberry, they all have sidewalks. It's mostly the plans built in the 60's and 70's that don't have them. I believe there is now a sidewalk ordinance in place.

But Maronda homes are still CRAP!

Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
There's been a sidewalk ordinance in place for a few years at least now in Cranberry, yeah. So any new stuff has them, which includes all the plans started in the last several years. Stuff built 10 years ago and more may not have them. Maronda homes will always be crap, I suspect, although even the Maronda plan near me in Economy Borough does have sidewalks. I'm not sure if we require them here now or not. BTW, didn't Maronda file bankruptcy anyway? It's Ch 11 so I don't know how that all pans out. Can't imagine anyone is buying from them with that in place though.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,255 times
Do most people around Cranberry/Pittsburgh use the public schools or is it commonplace for parents to fork over the extra money to a private school for a decent education (like Charlotte and Detroit)? Does anyone have any experience with PACyber? Is it a good program? Are the homeschooling communities mainly PACyber or independent? Does anyone know if the independent homeschoolers allowed to do extracurricular activities with the public school system and/or the PACyber kids?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerRidge View Post
Do most people around Cranberry/Pittsburgh use the public schools or is it commonplace for parents to fork over the extra money to a private school for a decent education (like Charlotte and Detroit)? Does anyone have any experience with PACyber? Is it a good program? Are the homeschooling communities mainly PACyber or independent? Does anyone know if the independent homeschoolers allowed to do extracurricular activities with the public school system and/or the PACyber kids?
You will find that Western PA has a much higher percentage of students enrolled in public schools as compared to most other areas of the country especially the South. The Catholic schools still have the largest enrollment but have been declining for decades. The Christian schools have a lot of new schools that are very small. There are a some charter schools that are expanding locations (mostly in Allegheny County), and the traditional nonreligious private schools, which include Shady Side Academy, Sewickley Academy, Ellis School, Winchester Thurston and Kiski Prep. I don't have statistics but I'm guessing about 90% of Western PA students are enrolled in public schools.

School districts have relaxed some of the restrictions on homeschoolers involvement in extracuricular activities but I don't know if this was a legal mandate that applied to all school districts.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 AM

89 posts, read 135,068 times
Hey there,
I used to live in Portersville (McConnell's Mills area), and it is most certainly rural. I worked in Cranberry at the time, and the drive was roughly 30 minutes (route 19 was a more direct route, but had more traffic, as it goes through Zeli which has stop lights and is only 2 lanes; 279 went around, but of course had speed on its side).

The drive through the different little towns to get to Cranberry was often very nice as well. Zeli and harmony have a great aesthetic, and definitely offer more of a small town feel, at least on their main streets (as opposed to a completely isolated rural feel).

In order to get anywhere in Portersville, you will definitely need to drive a bit, which I'm guessing, might be what you're looking for. Also, being so close to The Mills was the best. Being able to hike and kayak at a moment's notice was most certainly my favorite aspect of living there.
Good luck in your search. I'm sure you'll be pleased with wherever you choose.

Edit: I had very nice neighbors as well, though one of them had goats and they got loose and ate my garden . Hungry goats aside, my neighbors were very pleasant.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:55 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Speaking as someone who grew up in an 'old Sears catalog home,' do people even know what one is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh