Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,447 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Jamestown, New York.

You are not going to avoid snow living in or near Erie. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
The snow belt off Lake Erie extends down to at least McKean County but, really, most of Western PA gets loads of snow most winters.

Lake effect snow is lessened when Erie is frozen over, open water + winds across it + cold surface temperatures = lots of snow.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,726 times
My father worked at GE. At one point, he decided he'd like to live Edinboro near the lake. It was a huge mistake. The commute was brutal, particularly when it snowed.

Definitely reside north of I-90. We lived in Millcreek, which was fine for the commute to GE. Buy a snowblower. You'll appreciate a garage for your car. Keep a snow emergency kit in your car. It's not a big deal.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 11,132 times
Guys, thanks a lot for all the inputs. I do know snow - I went to Penn State at University Park in PA - but been south for a while - but going back as this is a good opportunity.

Since this was a sudden development, the only places I found with a garage and close to stores are near 'Zuck Road' (close to 79 north of 90) and near 'Weber hill' (east of 79 and just north of 90. you can actually see where the overpass is.

From the inputs, I have to invest in snow tires (I have FWD car) and plan to get to level land, before turning east. GE is around 15-20 minutes away, in both places. There are places closer to GE and also on the other side, a place called "harborcreek", but having lived in a city type place, they seem a bit too rural.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
I could tell you to live south of I-80 to avoid the heaviest snow fall, but your job is in Erie so you have to go there anyhow.

Just make sure your car is ready and you have appropriate winter gear, and enjoy the white stuff.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,308 times
I lived in downtown Erie for four years while going to college. Believe me, there was snow. Lots and lots of it. I believe there were several winters where it never really melted until spring - it just kept piling up and up. It didn't much faze the locals - they were a pretty hardy bunch. It's true that the "snowier belt" from the I-90 corridor south to about Meadville get hammered even more. But the city gets it pretty hard, too, and way before January.

And buy a good insulated jacket for those bracing Lake Erie winds that whip off the lake.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,481 times
Default Milder envelope of air close to the lake shore....

I was a meterologist living and working in downtown Erie 10 years ago ( 3 blocks from the bayfront ) It is true that on average the heaviest snowfall begins where the land rises south of the lake. Roughly where I-90 is located and south. The realtive warmer temps of Lake Erie versus the typical colder air temperature in the period from late November until January allows for the lake front area to be milder then areas away from the lake. The average lake temeperature reaches into the 70's in late summer slowly cooling through the 50's in late October and November. Finally reaching near 32f by mid to late winter. This is not to say snow won't fall in the late fall or early winter lakeshore. It does, but it's much colder and snowier inland of the lake.

Milder air coming of the lake in fall and early winter does in fact help to moderate the lake shore area. I would say from shoreline moving south or inland up to several miles will be moderated by the warmer lake water. The geographical rise or 'ridge' south of Lake Erie helps to cut off the milder lake air moving further south and helps to force an upward movement of the moist lake air resulting in the famous snow belt lake effect snows. This is all based on averages mind you. And by late winter and spring it's possible the lake water temperature will in fact be colder than the surrounding air mass. But for several months the summer heat engine does allow Lake Erie to warm enough to cause a delay in colder air temps close to and near the lake shore are into early winter.
The area just east of the city of Erie along the lake shore is a noted concorde grape producing region. Due greatly to the mild climate induced by the great lake. The closer to the lake, the slower the onset of winter's wrath will be. On the flip side, spring will be slower to arrive as water warms slower then the surrounding air.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namdeguerre View Post
Guys, thanks a lot for all the inputs. I do know snow - I went to Penn State at University Park in PA - but been south for a while - but going back as this is a good opportunity.

Since this was a sudden development, the only places I found with a garage and close to stores are near 'Zuck Road' (close to 79 north of 90) and near 'Weber hill' (east of 79 and just north of 90. you can actually see where the overpass is.

From the inputs, I have to invest in snow tires (I have FWD car) and plan to get to level land, before turning east. GE is around 15-20 minutes away, in both places. There are places closer to GE and also on the other side, a place called "harborcreek", but having lived in a city type place, they seem a bit too rural.
You don't need snow tires. Just get a good set of all-season tires that have a good rating in snow and you'll be just fine.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
The closer to the lake, the slower the onset of winter's wrath will be. On the flip side, spring will be slower to arrive as water warms slower then the surrounding air.
So, in essence, it doesn't really matter where he lives. Either way, he's going to have lots of snow one way or another.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
So, in essence, it doesn't really matter where he lives. Either way, he's going to have lots of snow one way or another.
It also doesn't really matter who said that, but it was RockLobster, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh