Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,115,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Simply for an add on, I noticed a lot of DC influence just 70 miles south of the city in Morgantown WV, with quite a few shops adopting the name "mid atlantic" them getting a Ledo's Pizza which is almost exclusive to MD, DC, NOVA and DE along with seeing a lot of cars with DC plates on them. idk if that is a sign of things to come if the influence starts heading north
IMO it's one of the few benefits of the recession. People used to travel abroad much more, but these days it's fashionable to vacation closer to home. Morgantown may not be a vacation paradise you want to visit year after year but the older cities have a lot of appeal and can be very interesting places to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Great answer, I would honestly like to see more connection via High speed rail from Pittsburgh to cities such as Baltimore/Washington, and Philadelphia where one could connect and go to cities such as NYC and Boston. With the increasing cost and increasing hassles of flying this will do wonders in improving/keeping business connections between the two areas, as well as my selfish ambition of more "road trips" to the coastal cities haha
Why not just HSR to NY and Boston? Seems silly to go to DC first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Pittsburgh to me has always seemed like its own animal to me. We have our own warped version of the midwest rube (the yinzer), our own east coast hipster epicenter (the east end), our own brand of douchebag broski's (south side meatheads), and a football game that everyone in the city has to attend or pay attention to like a small midwest town.
A few stereotypes about the midwest, I'd say. Although I believe the farming/rural population is higher in the midwest than the NE, it is still true that most people in the midwest live in cities/suburbs. 50% of the people in Nebraska (arguably NOT the midwest but I'll get into that later) live in the Lincoln/Omaha areas. I like to tell people my DH is a city boy from Nebraska. (He is from Omaha.) One person said "that's an oxymoron". Actually, Omaha looks a lot like Pittsburgh (hilly with trees), and the stories he's told me of his childhood sound much like stories from my own childhood in the Pittsburgh area. Basketball is more popular in some midwestern states, e.g. Illinois and Indiana b/c of the small towns. It's easier to field a b-ball team than a football team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The midwest is Illinois and Indiana and Kansas and Minnesota and Missouri and the Dakotas. And Ohio--although I agree with the poster who said Cleveland does not feel midwestern. Pittsburgh's connection to the midwest was primarily because it is a rust belt city. The connection was understandably stronger during Pittsburgh's steel years. As the Burgh redefines itself as a finance and business center it makes sense that the connections to the east coast cities will become stronger (right now--things can change).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cleveland feels very midwestern to me.

Your view of it seems to follow a more land-locked region of it.

You're missing the Great Lakes region of Michigan and Wisconsin...and Cleveland is very tied to that region...which is very solidly Midwest.
I'll take these two posts together. According to the census bureau, there are actually two divisions of the midwest: east north central and west north central. (See map; I'm not good at posting graphics.)

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

Some people say the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska are their own region, the Great Plains, whereas others consider the Great Plains to be a part of the midwest. DH calls Nebraska the "Mid-Plains". Like the Pittsburgh area, it's not all one or the other.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,049,132 times
Pittsburgh is definitely in its own linguistic region. Broadly we are within the Midland, which stretches from New Jersey through Iowa (Michigan and Chicago are not Midland, incidentally), but there is a distinct regional dialect in and around Pittsburgh.

Incidentally, the Midwest itself is really not a cohesive unit. For example, the Great Lakes areas are quite distinct from the Prairie areas.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Pittsburgh is definitely in its own linguistic region. Broadly we are within the Midland, which stretches from New Jersey through Iowa (Michigan and Chicago are not Midland, incidentally), but there is a distinct regional dialect in and around Pittsburgh.

Incidentally, the Midwest itself is really not a cohesive unit. For example, the Great Lakes areas are quite distinct from the Prairie areas.
Illinois is both a Great Lake state and a prairie state.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why not just HSR to NY and Boston? Seems silly to go to DC first.
HSR to Philly gets you HSR to NY and Boston (it isn't really feasible to go more directly).

Meanwhile, DC is in fact much closer to Pittsburgh than NY, and particularly Boston.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Illinois is both a Great Lake state and a prairie state.
Correct. In general I think it is best to ignore state boundaries, because many states overlap more than one cultural/economic region.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
According to the census bureau, there are actually two divisions of the midwest: east north central and west north central. (See map; I'm not good at posting graphics.)

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

Some people say the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska are their own region, the Great Plains, whereas others consider the Great Plains to be a part of the midwest. DH calls Nebraska the "Mid-Plains". Like the Pittsburgh area, it's not all one or the other.
Actually that's where I personally place the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska - solidly in the Great Plains, or I'd even take the term "Mid-Plains".

Being a 'Great Lakes' boy...I quickly identify with that region....and I'll take IL, IN, OH, WI, and MN as all touching the Lakes as well, and therefore solidly Midwest. IA is taken because an extension of the cornfields of that lower IN/IL/IA continuum, and it doesn't seem like it could belong anywhere else, unless 'Mid-Plains' is a term that can take it, as 'Great Plain's can't.

Out there in SD, ND, NE, KS...while some cornfields on their eastern sides...those state in their entirety just miss that 'heart Midwest vibe' - i.e. national league baseball stadiums galore, former industrial giants, great lakes shipping, etc.

Missouri is one of those controversial ones. I do not consider it Midwest at all, but many other people do...depends on one's point of reference. Not flat enough, not a cornfield area like the places just north of it, and way too far from the Great Lakes. But being they were a big one for early baseball, lots of previous industry, etc...I can see the connection if people want to put it there.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-27-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 AM

^^My own personal opinion is that Missouri is not part of the midwest, but of the south, as it was a slave state that did not secede. However, most people seem to think of it as midwest.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,906,358 times
Pittsburgh also uses the term "MAC Machine" instead of ATM's......is that East or Midwest?....Philadelphia also uses the term but NYC and DC use ATM....I think Chicago says Mac Machine as well.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 AM

799 posts, read 1,291,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Correct. In general I think it is best to ignore state boundaries, because many states overlap more than one cultural/economic region.
Illinois has the same Appalachian/Midwestern split you find in Indiana and Ohio. That southern region stretches into Missouri. Prairie/high plains get going around the 100th meridian. It's a semi-arid climate and effectively splits a lot of "Prairie States" in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh