Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
jay5835? Hey, I'd vote for him!

I think....

OK now you've got me curious. Jay, what big issues would you tackle and would you consider implementing a fine for litterbugs?
Well, sure. But I would appoint RR Head of the Garbage Committee, because I just somehow fail to see litter.

Now, when it comes to stuff you can smell, well, let's just say I'd move outdoor smoking downtown to the rooftops. That would be My Big Issue.

And I would make parking free for awhile downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Well, sure. But I would appoint RR Head of the Garbage Committee, because I just somehow fail to see litter.

Now, when it comes to stuff you can smell, well, let's just say I'd move outdoor smoking downtown to the rooftops. That would be My Big Issue.

And I would make parking free for awhile downtown.
You've got my vote.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 PM

480 posts, read 611,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Because it's a state road & they have to if requested. I have my own issues with chief Harper mind you as he has a decent percentage of his force working as pseudo bouncers at the local bars which begs the question of whether their loyalty lies to the bar paying them or to the public at large.
And those officers aren't assigned there by the Chief. These are off-duty officers. Who is paying them to be there? The bars, therefore the loyalty is with the bar for that night.

For as many uniformed police that we have in the Flats we shouldn't have the out of control problems that we do.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
A radio guy was saying that he had heard scuttlebutt of a possible Dan Onorato run for mayor. Not that I believe there's even a smidge of truth to that, but if it happened he'd have my vote.

Also, a few weeks ago I attended a town meeting of sorts (up in Crawford County of all places) where people were discussing the Marcellus Shale issue. As with everywhere in the state, it's a big contentious issue with good solid reasons to be both for it or against it. Anyhow, the surprise speaker (esp. to me) was our only city coucilman Doug Shields. I never thought much about him before--I always thought he just attacked Mayor Luke no matter what he said or did--but he really impressed me with this appearance and opened my eyes. He really cares about things, and to be honest he sounded a lot like someone who might be running for (and deserving of) a larger office sometime in the near future.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
A radio guy was saying that he had heard scuttlebutt of a possible Dan Onorato run for mayor. Not that I believe there's even a smidge of truth to that, but if it happened he'd have my vote.

Also, a few weeks ago I attended a town meeting of sorts (up in Crawford County of all places) where people were discussing the Marcellus Shale issue. As with everywhere in the state, it's a big contentious issue with good solid reasons to be both for it or against it. Anyhow, the surprise speaker (esp. to me) was our only city coucilman Doug Shields. I never thought much about him before--I always thought he just attacked Mayor Luke no matter what he said or did--but he really impressed me with this appearance and opened my eyes. He really cares about things, and to be honest he sounded a lot like someone who might be running for (and deserving of) a larger office sometime in the near future.

Well, he'll have a lot of time to pursue a higher office. Shields gave up his City Council seat to run for District Magistrate and lost.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Well, he'll have a lot of time to pursue a higher office. Shields gave up his City Council seat to run for District Magistrate and lost.
Yeah, it seems like he'll have some free time soon.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
One thing about Ravenstahl - he's very good for McCandless, Cranberry and Washington County.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
One thing about Ravenstahl - he's very good for McCandless, Cranberry and Washington County.
Why's that?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
According to the various available data sources, it appears the City's population losses slowed and may even have reversed since Ravenstahl became Mayor.

As with many of these issues, that may be mostly just lucky timing on his part, but there certainly isn't much evidence that he has done anything to discourage that apparent improvement in trends.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 AM

94 posts, read 134,290 times
I was optimistic about the city's population turning around, but then the official census numbers came out and were about 6,000 less than what was estimated, so who knows what is really happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh