Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Help Me Decide: Private School
I think you should send them to St Edmund's 2 22.22%
I think you should choose Shady Side Academy 4 44.44%
They are both comparable 1 11.11%
I think there is a better school than both 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 27,869 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need some help. I looked on all the forums and I could not find a comparison of St Edmund's and Shady Side Academy. I visited St. Edmund's and I was blown away. It seems that this school has the best of everything: values, academics and a nurturing environment. However, it has a 40% cap on pre-k funds.

Shady Side academy has a great reputation and I am scheduled to visit next week. It caps financial aid at 85%. I know and accept I will have to pay. However, I am gaining knowledge about the schools as an "outsider."

I would like to know if anyone can give me feedback about any of the above schools as an "insider" and/or even knowledge based on friends/family who sent their children to either school. I am trying to make an informed decision.

Any feedback will help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
St Edmunds is more my style of school, with the emphasis on social skills and values and very strong community feel. But if I understand you correctly, it may cost you significantly less to attend Shady Side. Since they are also well-regarded, I think it would be reasonable to choose them under those circumstances.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
I went to St. Edmunds for a few years. I liked it but that was years ago. From memory most of the kids lived in Sq. Hill. I was always jealous of the kids that got to walk to school since I had a very long bus ride.

Are you telling me that Shadyside lets you pay 15% of the tuition? Crazy.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,454 times
Shadyside Academy has a very strong alumni network and tends to breed professionals. A number of my colleagues went there.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Default Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I went to St. Edmunds for a few years. I liked it but that was years ago. From memory most of the kids lived in Sq. Hill. I was always jealous of the kids that got to walk to school since I had a very long bus ride.

Are you telling me that Shadyside lets you pay 15% of the tuition? Crazy.
I am still waiting on the results, but so far because of my students loans, they said they would pay 50% tuition. This is just with a brief review. However, they reported on their website that the average student who qualifies for financial aid receives $17,000. The 50% is based on a family with 174, 000 yearly income.

I know that "private" school is the way to go, but ....I appreciate all the feedback. I just love to research before I make decisions. There is a lot of knowledge in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
St Edmunds is more my style of school, with the emphasis on social skills and values and very strong community feel. But if I understand you correctly, it may cost you significantly less to attend Shady Side. Since they are also well-regarded, I think it would be reasonable to choose them under those circumstances.
I know that is why it is so hard-because they seem to have such strong core values and social skill emphasis. I really was blown away.

I will report back when I visit shady side academy...thanks so much for your input.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,976 times
My son is friends with about 10 kids that go to St. Edmunds and I don't think he knows more than one kid through sports or just being a kid in Pittsburgh that attends Shadyside. I never thought about it until you posted this question! My son does not attend either of the schools, (he goes to Kentucky Age) but we really like the kids and families he knows through St. Edmunds. The parents are fun, active and are more socially active as a group than other groups I have run into. We never felt like outsiders, we still don't! I am not dissing Shadyside, I just don't know that much about it other than the multiple campus issue can be a pain.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
A colleague of mine sends her daughters to the Ellis School in Point Breeze and has been quite pleased with their academic offerings thus far. I'm just throwing this out there as another possibility.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A colleague of mine sends her daughters to the Ellis School in Point Breeze and has been quite pleased with their academic offerings thus far. I'm just throwing this out there as another possibility.
Girls only.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Girls only.
Oh. Thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh