Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:32 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times

Advertisements

Ben Cope, who was convicted of killing mother Lisa Styles, as she was out jogging with her children, was sent off to prison for two years. I thought the original sentence was 9 years, which is minimal enough in my mind, but two years? He sobbed like a baby as he was led off. I truly hope he lives a nightmare in prison.

I think of Lisa literally every time I go out to run. Her husband is a very gracious man, I could not or would not act with as much class as he does.

People from Erie always ask if I'm afraid of being shot in the city, and I tell them I worry more about being hit and killed while out running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Are you talking about the involuntary manslaughter conviction of the young adult who accidently hit a women with a stroller in Mt Lebo? I'm surprised he got as much as 2 years.

ETA: I just read an article that says 2 years is the max. He'll be out in the minimum is 1 year. I still think that's extreme for involuntary manslaughter.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Mrs. Cope's widower truly offers so much compassion and forgiveness that he actually provides me with hope that I, too, may be able to get rid of my own grudges someday.

"Following the hearing, Mr. Styles expanded on his feelings."

"We live in a world where we've punished and punished and punished and we've been more vengeful. And it's gotten us nowhere as a society," he said. "He took away a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful person. And it's my duty to carry on that beauty. And part of that beauty is my forgiveness."

Grieving man urges forgiveness to wife's killer

I also agree with Mr. Styles with his outrage over the lack of compassion shown to him by Mr. Cope's family.

"Mr. Styles spent part of his time on the witness stand talking about what he saw as the failure of the Cope family to acknowledge, or take responsibility for, what happened. Had the accident occurred 150 years ago, he said, "the Cope family would be on my doorstep, hat-in-hand, offering an apology. But in this time, I impotently battle through intermediaries, never arriving at any real resolution."

"It is by definition, insult upon injury."

Considering I'm STILL awaiting an apology from the woman who totaled my car back on 09/29 and her husband, both of whom were very nasty to me, accused me of lying, and lied to the police themselves on the night of the accident, I concur that our society's ethical values and sense of moral responsibility have imploded. Whenever I err I try to atone for my missteps; it is a shame so few others similarly embody that virtue.

Additionally, the fact that Mr. Cope was under the influence of marijuana at the time of the accident doesn't quite make it an "accident" in my eyes, Hopes. If you consciously ingest illegal substances into your system and then choose to get behind the wheel of a large SUV---a killing machine---then you deserve to be punished for that as you KNEW you were endangering the welfare of others by doing so. Since moving to Pittsburgh just about everyone I've met does marijuana and shrugs it off as being "no big deal". What is with the tolerance of drug usage here? I don't get it.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 AM

377 posts, read 652,177 times
Thinking of the Styles family today.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Since moving to Pittsburgh just about everyone I've met does marijuana and shrugs it off as being "no big deal". What is with the tolerance of drug usage here? I don't get it.
Look for new friends?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you talking about the involuntary manslaughter conviction of the young adult who accidently hit a women with a stroller in Mt Lebo? I'm surprised he got as much as 2 years.

ETA: I just read an article that says 2 years is the max. He'll be out in the minimum is 1 year. I still think that's extreme for involuntary manslaughter.
So, would you be so "oh well, that's life" if your son was killed? Especially if the actor was known to have been smoking marijuana the night before, and had a record of driving citations?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
Thinking of the Styles family today.
Me too. I think of her every day.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I believe the P-G article is misleading, because Cope was found not-guilty on the homicide while driving under the influence count.

Prior thread on this subject:

Jury reaches mixed verdict in Benjamin Cope's Mt. Lebanon fatal accident trial.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
So, would you be so "oh well, that's life" if your son was killed? Especially if the actor was known to have been smoking marijuana the night before, and had a record of driving citations?
I'm not being "oh well, that's life" right now.

I truly believe smoking marijuana the night before is irrelevant. The night before. Geeze.

I can believe a punishment is extreme and still have compassion at the same time.

I'm multidimensional like that.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Mrs. Cope's widower truly offers so much compassion and forgiveness that he actually provides me with hope that I, too, may be able to get rid of my own grudges someday.

"Following the hearing, Mr. Styles expanded on his feelings."

"We live in a world where we've punished and punished and punished and we've been more vengeful. And it's gotten us nowhere as a society," he said. "He took away a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful person. And it's my duty to carry on that beauty. And part of that beauty is my forgiveness."

Grieving man urges forgiveness to wife's killer

I also agree with Mr. Styles with his outrage over the lack of compassion shown to him by Mr. Cope's family.

"Mr. Styles spent part of his time on the witness stand talking about what he saw as the failure of the Cope family to acknowledge, or take responsibility for, what happened. Had the accident occurred 150 years ago, he said, "the Cope family would be on my doorstep, hat-in-hand, offering an apology. But in this time, I impotently battle through intermediaries, never arriving at any real resolution."

"It is by definition, insult upon injury."

Considering I'm STILL awaiting an apology from the woman who totaled my car back on 09/29 and her husband, both of whom were very nasty to me, accused me of lying, and lied to the police themselves on the night of the accident, I concur that our society's ethical values and sense of moral responsibility have imploded. Whenever I err I try to atone for my missteps; it is a shame so few others similarly embody that virtue.

Additionally, the fact that Mr. Cope was under the influence of marijuana at the time of the accident doesn't quite make it an "accident" in my eyes, Hopes. If you consciously ingest illegal substances into your system and then choose to get behind the wheel of a large SUV---a killing machine---then you deserve to be punished for that as you KNEW you were endangering the welfare of others by doing so. Since moving to Pittsburgh just about everyone I've met does marijuana and shrugs it off as being "no big deal". What is with the tolerance of drug usage here? I don't get it.
Re-read the trial testimony. He had marijuana in his system at the time, the the prosecution admitted that he was likely not high at the time. This was a major turning point in the case. Pot usually only keeps you buzzed for a few hours, but can stay in you for weeks. Also, I love how you focus only on the legality of the substance. If he had taken to Benadryl before driving you that be OK? There are plenty of legal substances that can negatively effect your response time and judgement as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh