Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,382,112 times

Advertisements

These are the areas that I think fit the bill. Note after the *astrict* area areas that are debatably gritty.
Gritty: [East] Greenfield, the Gleenwood section of Hazelwood (west of 2nd Ave) Central Oakland, Strip District, Larwanceville (excluding 47th-McCandless Ave) Polish Hill, Morningside, several streets of Garfield (south of Broad/Dearborn Streets), most of East Liberty (south of East Libert Blvd excluding East Liberty Gardens projects & Penn Plaza),* southside of Staton Heights (south of Brintill St), southern part of Highland Park (mainly south of Welslley Ave), Bloomfield, Sharpsburg PA

Gritty: [North] Troy Hill, part of Observatory Hill (Watson Blvd to Waldrof St in Perry North), Brighton Heights (south of Davis Ave), Spring Hill-City View (excluding Three Rivers Manor), Fineview (excluding Allegheny Dwellings), * West Dutchtown (west of the highway), (Lower Manchester (south of Liverpool St St), Bellvue PA, Westview PA, Millvale PA & Enta PA

Gritty: [South] * Southside Flats, Southside Slopes, Bon Air, part Mt. Washington (south of Boggs & Bailey Ave) & Brentwood PA

Gritty: [West] Chartiers City (grittiest north of Chartiers Ave), Elliot, * Windgap, West End, Crafton Heights (excluding the Greenway Projects)

Gritty: [Mon Valley] all of the Mon Valley is safe yet gritty except: Homestead PA, a small part of West Homestead PA, MonView Heights & West Mifflen Estates projects of West Mifflen, most of Clairton PA, "Central McKeesport", Duquesne PA, the "Crestas Terrace" area & Cliffview Terrace/Parkledge Apartments in North Versailles PA, Rankin, Braddock, part of North Braddock, part of Swissvale, the Alpine Ave projects in East Pittsburgh, & Brinton Manor in Braddock Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:37 PM

[quote]"Probably safer than some of the border areas of Wilkinsburg, don't you think?..." [quote]

No not yet... The Kelly West area (gritty section west of the busway), & the iffy areas that border the "Central Wilkinsburg" sections: Hamnett Place, Upper Central, and Singer Place are still safer than East Liberty Gardens, East Liberty north of the Boulevard, and Penn Plaza IMO.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

No not yet... The Kelly West area (gritty section west of the busway), & the iffy areas that border the "Central Wilkinsburg" sections: Hamnett Place, Upper Central, and Singer Place are still safer than East Liberty Gardens, East Liberty north of the Boulevard, and Penn Plaza IMO.
It is a shame there is so much mixed income stuff in East Liberty. That will probably hurt growth, since governments get involved instead of letting true supply and demand to take control as it should be. Our tax dollars go to build all that subsidized housing and it just kills areas. People with means don't want to live next to that crap and believe me, we need some more people with means to move to the city to prop it up and offset that MASSIVE amounts of poverty in the city limits. We need balance.

Wilkinsburg isn't all that great, but there doesn't seem to be as many shootings as the Hill and Homewood, so maybe it is a step up? Not sure?

Last edited by gg; 01-02-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Yea well Central Wilkinsburg is still an area where it pays not to wear certain clots at night but Wilkinsburg didn't have a bad year (it may have to do with a diminishing fued between the J-Town Hoods & Trill Side/Uptown sets of LAW)... Neither did Homewood (maybe because of the task force)!
To my knowledge the Hill had 11 homicides (excluding Uptown with 2)... To my knowledge Homewood had only 6 & Wilkinsburg had only 2.
I still put Central Wilkinsburg in that top category with: Homewood, the Hill, Northview Heights & Allegheny Dwellings, Duquesne PA, the East Hills, Larimer, Central McKeesport, Beltzhoover/Knoxville/Mt. Oliver PA.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Yea well Central Wilkinsburg is still an area where it pays not to wear certain clots at night but Wilkinsburg didn't have a bad year (it may have to do with a diminishing fued between the J-Town Hoods & Trill Side/Uptown sets of LAW)... Neither did Homewood (maybe because of the task force)!
To my knowledge the Hill had 11 homicides (excluding Uptown with 2)... To my knowledge Homewood had only 6 & Wilkinsburg had only 2.
I still put Central Wilkinsburg in that top category with: Homewood, the Hill, Northview Heights & Allegheny Dwellings, Duquesne PA, the East Hills, Larimer, Central McKeesport, Beltzhoover/Knoxville/Mt. Oliver PA.
I think the downtown part of Wilkinsburg is pretty cool. It looks better now than it has in the past 40 years.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,634 times
You won't be able to find anything in any of the nicer East End neighborhoods for that price. It would have been possible 5 years ago, but not anymore. Even Bloomfield & Morningside are beyond that now.

Have you thought of North Point Breeze? It's where I've been living for the past 5 years, and I've had no problems with crime or bad neighbors at all (in fact, the vast majority of my neighbors have been very nice and oriented towards improving their properties). I personally think it has an undeservedly rough reputation. Although prices have been climbing here also, I think it's still possible to get something interesting for under $100K, especially if you are willing to take a fixer-upper.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
gg

No, you can buy in Morningside and that might be a good idea. There are always a few homes that go for under $90k there, but they need a bit of work.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Spring Hill, Troy Hill and the Spring Garden Valley in between them are a little bit gritty, but certainly are pretty much undiscovered and real close across the 16th St. Bridge from the Cultural District.

You could do pretty well with a $100k budget over there.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM
gg

Morningside isn't "gritty". Good suggestion.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM

367 posts, read 622,354 times
Your best bet to stay in that area would probably be Bloomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh