Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
You obviously don't live along scottrpriester's jogging route, or these items would have been tossed back into your neighbor's yard.
. . . Or used to chase down and scare the living **** out of irresponsible dog owners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hello, Curtis, I was expecting you!
Actually, you got Brian first disagreeing with you. Hence, Brian and I are in agreement.

Brian stated:

Isn't that bolded part begging the question?

The law says everyone has an equal right to the local street parking, whether immediately in front of your residence or not. I'd say it is the person who wants a reserved space but didn't purchase or rent one who has to live with that choice.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I'll bring up the elephant in the room.

Why do you see this "parking chair" phenomenon occurring roughly exclusively in Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Polish Hill, McKees Rocks, Carrick, Sharpsburg, Millvale, Etna, etc. and not in Point Breeze, Shadyside, Aspinwall, Oakmont, etc. All are fairly densely-populated areas where many people park on the street.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Hence, Brian and I are in agreement.
Whoa!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
People like the traditions that benefit them. If making a Pittsburgh left means that you get to go on your merry way and not sit with your blinker on for a whole green light, then it's awesome. If it means that some jagoff cut in front of you, then it sucks.

There are some neighborhoods (South Side, Shadyside, Lawrenceville) where parking is at a premium and people feel territorial about it. They don't want to park several blocks away from where they live. Where I live in Beechview, parking's not that tight. Even so, it still annoys me when the new neighbor across the street takes the "good spot" right in front of my house and leaves his car there for days and days without moving it. Logically, I know it's not mine, but I still wonder why he can't park up the block a bit in front of the vacant lot or the empty house.

Maybe the OP needs to call his city councilperson or find out if there's a neighborhood group that can help.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

From now on I'll ask myself "What Would Hopes Do?"
LOL snark away but you know what, that might actually be a good idea. Hopes seems to have a healthy way of dealing with things, as far as I can see, and lives a happy life.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL you know what, that might be a good way live a life. Hopes has a pretty successful track record dealing with things, as far as I can see, and seems to live a happy life.
^ That was what I was thinking. She even walked from Mt. Washington to Hampton Township once (with kids in tow) during a snow storm. That's roughly 15 miles! She's a tough cookie, so if she says "only unstable people would be against parking chairs", then that's the outlook I'm going to have from now on.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,832 times
Just simply keep throwing whatever he uses to claim the parking spot out until he has no more and gets the point. I can't believe someone could be so rude. I'd be careful though so your tires don't get slashed. And next goosie night, egg his house.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why do you see this "parking chair" phenomenon occurring roughly exclusively in Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Polish Hill, McKees Rocks, Carrick, Sharpsburg, Millvale, Etna, etc. and not in Point Breeze, Shadyside, Aspinwall, Oakmont, etc. All are fairly densely-populated areas where many people park on the street.
Although all those places may count as fairly dense by suburban standards, there is a big difference between a place like Point Breeze--where there are a decent number of garages and generally much bigger lots which means more street spaces per residential unit--and Bloomfield.

That said, I also think local residential churn explains why you don't see as much of this in the South Side anymore, or the tighter parts of Shadyside, and so on. In fact, I'd bet if you could track it, you would find less of this in the parts of Lawrenceville with more newer residents than the parts with fewer, and so forth.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Respect our traditions. They are unique to Pittsburgh.

As mentioned - live in the suburbs and not have such problems.
You beat me to it, but since I already looked this up, I'll post this link:

Parking chair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh