Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to find anything about where transportation and transit was mentioned (if at all) was mentioned in the budget. What now for PAT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Full Text of Gov. Corbett's Budget Speech. #PABudget - Capitol Ideas Blog

These are his remarks on transportation:

Quote:
Lastly, it is also critical that we address our transportation issues. This is not a budget item. It is too large for that. Transportation must be confronted as its own distinct and separate topic. This problem has grown for the past several decades and it will not be solved overnight. But, whatever solution we enact must be a lasting one.

I have spent significant time considering this issue with my transportation team and developed some workable solutions. However, those solutions will only be possible with your input, assistance and support. I look forward to working with you.
I guess I'll withhold judgment while waiting for the experts on PA-state-government-tea-leaf-reading to provide some analysis, but to me that didn't look too bad--it seems to acknowledge the magnitude of the problem and announce a willingness to work with the legislature on it.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Agreed with Brian. Given Corbett's mute stance on transportation up to now, this sounds more like he's actually willing to make a deal... fingers crossed.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
I know it's his words, but how is it not a budget item? I thought it had to fit in somewhere....

Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I know it's his words, but how is it not a budget item? I thought it had to fit in somewhere....
There will be budget sections on transportation (which will be terrible), but I take him to be saying that those sections are not intended to be a final solution, and instead that such a solution will need to be worked out in a separate deal.

To me that indirectly implies a softening on increasing revenues--at least I certainly hope so.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Corbett has acknowledged (as tersely as possible) a problem with "transportation issues". I suspect many here see the word "transportation" and understand by it "buses". That may not be what Shaler Tom understands by the word.

Moreover, when he said "I look forward to working with you", I very much suspect he meant his party, and his party's priorities.

Don't count your Kremlinology before your commissars hatch.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Oh sure--but I do think it will be hard to ram through a massive change in how the state allocates transportation funds. Vetoing is easy, changing how business is actually done is a lot harder.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Looks like we more or less got the issues right:

Governor makes little mention of transit

The budget itself would be a disaster for transportation (including transit), and Corbett didn't propose a solution, but his remarks about working on a solution outside the budget process could be interpreted as promising.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Corbett 'not going to go into' transit-cut solutions now

Corbett 'not going to go into' transit-cut solutions now

Wednesday, February 08, 2012
By Jon Schmitz, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Gov. Tom Corbett today again declined to give details of how he plans to deal with the state's transportation funding crisis, and said he couldn't guarantee a solution that would avert record transit service cuts in Pittsburgh.
In an interview on KDKA radio, Mr. Corbett dismissed a question about what he meant on Tuesday when he said he had "developed some workable solutions," saying "we're not going to go into this right now."
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 02-09-2012 at 02:53 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
I translate Corbett's "I don't know" answers into "I don't care". I don't know who to dislike more, a useless (and hopefully one term) governor or our pathetic transit authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh