Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

After I purchased my current home about two years ago I explored the idea of building a sound proof room in the cellar. Moot point now since I will not be staying here.

Anywho.... It is possible to put up a sound proof wall in the front of the house with sound proof glass windows to help reduce the noise. There are materials out there that can be used to replace the existing wood and windows that will greatly reduce outside noise from the front of the house. Even something as simple as replacing a 2 x 4 studded wall with 2 x 6 or 2 x 8's and then filling it with a high quality insulation will help a great deal especially if you put in the right kind of windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Algia, I agree: wooden blinds are the last thing you need to reduce the noise.

Thick curtains yes (think thick like velvet). Earplugs that you put on when you go to bed, especially on garbage day, yes.

Another option to deal with the noise is for you to look for another house on a quieter street and move there when the lease expires.

I also believe that it's a matter of getting used to. Personally I lived all my life on very busy streets (like across from train stations or on a tram route).

Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I also believe that it's a matter of getting used to. Personally I lived all my life on very busy streets (like across from train stations or on a tram route).
Yeah, I lived near a very busy road for a long time, and didn't realize how used to it I was until I moved to a very quiet neighborhood and, at first, laid awake at night because it was too quiet. I was used to hearing trucks go by and that used to lull me to sleep.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Another idea came to mind. Media outlets have sound proof rooms built for their on air studios that have materials built into the rooms to help keep noise out. Might want to talk to someone that has built something like this to see what they'd recommend for your wall.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Oops. Looks like you are talking about a rental. Disregard my suggestions.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I agree most people get used to this sort of thing, but a minority will not. Hence it is not a crazy question, although I agree that long term, the first step would be to choose the quietest possible environment, because most of the true sound-proofing solutions will end up pretty expensive.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree most people get used to this sort of thing, but a minority will not. Hence it is not a crazy question, although I agree that long term, the first step would be to choose the quietest possible environment, because most of the true sound-proofing solutions will end up pretty expensive.
Exactly. Landlords will not want to invest that kind of money for soundproofing a rental home and doing unauthorized work is a break of contract. That is why I suggested the possibility of moving out when the lease expires.

If i remember correctly at one point you posted something that Mt Lebo does not offer your autistic kid a full day of program like other Pittsburgh districts do or like he had in Florida. I am not sure where you are at with the process - you received a ton of advice on this forum - but here is your chance to move to a neighborhood that addresses your son's needs and find a house on a quiet street, without trees tangled into the phone wires and so on.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Off topic, and not what I asked. We are NOT looking to remodel the house! OMG!

I watch enough HGTV to KNOW how to sound proof a house DEMO/remodel style. THAT however is not in the budget, nor the preference if there was a budget.

I wanted to know what the people do here that live on roads such as Washington road, Brownsville, Gilkeson, Cedar etc. besides "getting USED to IT"!

Just like I wanted to know HOW to recycle. Not install a recycling plant in my house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Exactly. Landlords will not want to invest that kind of money for soundproofing a rental home and doing unauthorized work is a break of contract. That is why I suggested the possibility of moving out when the lease expires.

If i remember correctly at one point you posted something that Mt Lebo does not offer your autistic kid a full day of program like other Pittsburgh districts do or like he had in Florida. I am not sure where you are at with the process - you received a ton of advice on this forum - but here is your chance to move to a neighborhood that addresses your son's needs and find a house on a quiet street, without trees tangled into the phone wires and so on.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Off topic, and not what I asked. We are NOT looking to remodel the house! OMG!
Looking at all these threads, I really have no idea what you are asking. I mean, you HAVE to buy a home on a busy street and then you ask about Manchester? That made NO sense! Cutting a tree down where you rent? Not your place to do so, unless the landlord is okay with it. I wouldn't be and I am a landlord.

Seems you are here to complain. I don't understand your line of posts. You clearly can move wherever you like, so a busy street isn't a MUST. If you want to know about soundproofing, as in an honest manner. In other words, just ask the question and leave out the MUST live on a busy street because that is ALL there is. BS!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
I asked what people are using to block off the sound.
We talked about drape, blinds, double pane windows etc...That's it. Then the thread got hacked.

Seems to me like Drapes it is.

THREAD CLOSED. Thank you to those to were nice enough to give suggestions and stayed on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh