Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 6,317 times

Advertisements

Have you never been on McKnight road? I can see a 12 car pileup any day being possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM

461 posts, read 748,928 times
People drive like nuts on that road, and seem to forget that they are on McKnight road and not 279, where you can safely go a bit faster. Those crosswalks....shudder.....it would be like crossing Roosevelt Blvd in Philly.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farce View Post
Have you never been on McKnight road? I can see a 12 car pileup any day being possible.
Sure I ride my bike on it all the time. Just kidding of course. I do ride my bike in the North Hills sometimes and it is the worst place to ride a bike that I know in our region. For some reason the drivers are more aggressive. The least aggressive drivers are in the East End and the City itself, IMHO. The South Side isn't as good, but you usually don't ride on Carson.

McKnight is an amazing road with wild cross traffic. I think the police should start nailing drivers for speeding and tailgating. All they need to do is set up some speed traps and hand out those big fines. There needs to be an attitude adjustment out that way.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Actually, SUV's have better breaks because they have to be designed to stop fully-loaded, which is similar to a loaded pick-up truck.
Seriously? This is against all laws of basic physics. SUV's weigh thousands of pounds more than the cars around them. It is physically impossible to make a vehicle that weighs 2,000 lbs more than the cars around them stop in a shorter distance than those same cars. In addition, the friction of the tire against the road surface is pretty much the same regardless of the weight or size of the vehicle. Take a vehicle that weighs so much more and slam on the brakes and see what the inertia of that weight does to your traction. It's not pretty.

I've owned several SUV's over the years and can tell you that they absolutely do not stop in a shorter distance than a car. In fact, we had one that took so long to come to a complete stop when slamming on the brakes that if you had to stop suddenly, you held your breath hoping that you could stop in time. That particular SUV is still built & sold today. We used to call it the "death trap".

Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 6,317 times
2013 Ford Explorer - 4731 pounds
2013 Chevy Impala - 3764 pounds

The difference isn't really that much until you get down into small economy cars, like the Civic Si at 2863 pounds or the Miata at around 2400 pounds.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farce View Post
2013 Ford Explorer - 4731 pounds
2013 Chevy Impala - 3764 pounds

The difference isn't really that much until you get down into small economy cars, like the Civic Si at 2863 pounds or the Miata at around 2400 pounds.
Try to justify. Good luck. 1000lbs means nothing? Center of gravity? Keep dreaming.

Try and stop your SUV in the same distance as my Audi A4. Good luck. I would try an escape the accident though. Why? Because I know the people behind me can't stop because they are driving junk SUVs. My first response is to try and accelerate out of it and maneuver. An SUV doesn't have that option. Good luck keeping up with me on a twisty road. Not happening.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:47 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
That's funny, the only SUV type vehicle I saw in some of the photos were cop cars. Those stinkin' SUV owners, we should send them all to soulless Cranberry to die.

That section of road is like the Daytona 500, people fly down that road, then all try to "cut over" at the last minute to take 279 South. Surprised it didn't happen sooner. That's why we should have everyone working in the suburbs, it would eliminate the rush hour.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Try to justify. Good luck. 1000lbs means nothing? Center of gravity? Keep dreaming.

Try and stop your SUV in the same distance as my Audi A4. Good luck. I would try an escape the accident though. Why? Because I know the people behind me can't stop because they are driving junk SUVs. My first response is to try and accelerate out of it and maneuver. An SUV doesn't have that option. Good luck keeping up with me on a twisty road. Not happening.
I wouldnt say an A4 would be accelerating very fast out of anywhere either

Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I wouldnt say an A4 would be accelerating very fast out of anywhere either
Only if you know how to load a turbo, but I can only discuss things like that on forums that understand how turbos work. It is a 6 speed if you want to read up.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Only if you know how to load a turbo, but I can only discuss things like that on forums that understand how turbos work. It is a 6 speed if you want to read up.
You just have ALL the answers, don't ya? And EVERYTHING you have and do is far superior to EVERYONE else, huh? Right. I bet if you were on McKnight at the time of the accident and in that chain, the entire thing would have never happened!

Driving around here, as I'm sure it's common in many areas, is an interesting task. On McKnight for example, there are days you can do 65, still get tailed, and still not be able to keep up with traffic in front of you. Then, there are days on just about every road, where the speed limit gets you around every other car on the road. Inconsistency is grand around here. In other states, especially Ohio, highway patrol is much more visible. 80+ on most of the Parkways around here won't get you looked at...because...9 times out of 10, no one is watching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh