Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM

49 posts, read 80,913 times

Advertisements

Shell got a couple options.

1) Build a new plant in the Keystone zone and hire people to work at the plant and spur the local economy
2) Don't build the plant there and leave the site empty for the next 1000 years and let the town turn into another Aliquippa

In hindsight maybe they, state, county and local bureaucrats, could have treated Horsehead a little better rather than forcing them to move to a right to work state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBreath View Post

1) Build a new plant in the Keystone zone and hire people to work at the plant and spur the local economy
2) Don't build the plant there and leave the site empty for the next 1000 years and let the town turn into another Aliquippa

In hindsight maybe they, state, county and local bureaucrats, could have treated Horsehead a little better rather than forcing them to move to a right to work state.
I gather you don't read Site Selection magazine.

Top Competitive States, 2011 | Site Selection Online

Top Metros Of 2011: The Fast Track To No. 1 - A rapidly expanding economy propels Houston to the top spot among the nation

Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Pennsylvania just did for Shell what Southern states do for foreign automakers. Unfortunately, too many Republicans these days don't understand the difference between capitalism and corporate welfare. (I say this as a registered Republican myself.) Listening to some of these politicians boast about their "business-friendly" track records is like listening to a prostitute tell you that she'll be the friendliest person you've ever met. Somewhere on Tom Corbett's desk is a box of condoms and a vat of K-Y Jelly.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pennsylvania just did for Shell what Southern states do for foreign automakers. Unfortunately, too many Republicans these days don't understand the difference between capitalism and corporate welfare. (I say this as a registered Republican myself.) Listening to some of these politicians boast about their "business-friendly" track records is like listening to a prostitute tell you that she'll be the friendliest person you've ever met. Somewhere on Tom Corbett's desk is a box of condoms and a vat of K-Y Jelly.
Huge tax incentives can set dangerous precedents and do encourage corporate welfare by undermining the concept of paying taxes in the first place so that businesses come to demand special treatment (which many people are perfectly OK with). As long as certain states have no income taxes, exempt corporations from other taxes, etc., then it becomes a necessity for other states (like PA) to join in and offer the same enticements or risk losing out on new development or even keeping established companies.

It's a race to the bottom (or to the top, depending on one's perspective). Or, it could just be bluffing by the business...but many people tend to not want to take that bet. Politicians have no interest in creating the national regulations needed create a level playing field, and the world is becoming a smaller place.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,308 times
This is the way business is done now. Company pits one state against another, states cough up tax breaks, and the company takes the sweetest offer. It's capitalism at its finest. Everyone is doing it, even the southern states. I believe the giant Mercedes plant in Alabama had generous tax breaks, as did the car plants in Georgia and South Carolina.

I don't fault Shell - they're just going after the best offer from the Governor. This stuff is usually pretty bi-partisan as far as Dem or Reps making the offers.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
The thing is we don't even know that the businesses in these cases are actually taking their best public incentives offer. They may well already know where they want to locate for other reasons, and are just creating the illusion of a bidding war to maximize the public incentives they can pile on top.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM

I doubt PA was able to sweeten the deal appreciably more than what Ohio and West Virginia were offering. Wherever the plant ended up would benefit all three states. In my opinion, PA drew the short straw. I also think that the plant was coming to PA regardless.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,863 times
Quote:

Here's your options:

1) Build the new plant and turn Monaca into a thriving community modeled on Braddock or Clairton
2) Don't build the plant and turn the town into an Aliquippa.
3) Skip Shell and get something like Westinghouse. Or some CMU spin-offs. Then Monaca could be a Cranberry with character.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM

49 posts, read 80,913 times

How many multi-billion manufacturing projects going on in Pittsburgh?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
How many multi-billion manufacturing projects going on in Pittsburgh?
I don't know. I'm not sure why you are asking that question. But Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania are both in the top tier for corporate real estate projects. Right to work doesn't do squat. All the complaining about bureaucracy and high taxes is misinformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh