Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Just wondering, is it possible to text AND drive a stick?
Yep. I do it daily at 7am eastbound on 376 and 6pm westbound. While playing with my iPod.

Watch out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Yep. I do it daily at 7am eastbound on 376 and 6pm westbound. While playing with my iPod.

Watch out!
I'm usually writing emails and on a conference call at about 9 am heading westbound

Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Just wondering, is it possible to text AND drive a stick?
"Siri, text my wife I'll be 20 minutes late."

I wonder if that is still legal, actually?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
Don't you wish they would all die? They think they own the road and God forbid you get in their way. Too bad I can't ever seem to run into them except when I am on a busy road or highway. Vent

Die? No

I do wish I could hear them whine about the price of gas though. Such sweet music.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:01 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
So, this morning, I'm driving into town on 376, between Robinson and 79. There's a lady in the left hand lane, doing 70; 15 mph above the speed limit. Traffic in the right lane is going a little slower, so she's passing somebody every so often. When she gets close to 79, things open up a bit, and four different people pass her on the right, one of them going all the way to the extreme right lane (the exit lane for 79) passing another guy on the right as well, before coming back across to the left lane in front of her.

What makes this noteworthy in the context of this particular discussion?

Not one damn Escilade among them.

Actually, not one SUV or truck among them. All mid-sized or compacts. Amazing, isn't it?

(Actually, what really makes it funny is that three minutes later, after all the hurry-hurry jockeying for position, the whole gang got to spend 20 minutes in line on Greentree Hill, and all entered the tunnel with about 15 seconds difference between them.)

Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I don't have a monster SUV, but my crew cab 4WD truck gets really close to the same mileage as my wife's minivan (and her sedan).
Some people need something bigger. I know our minivan can't haul what I need. How about those with boats, campers or otherwise need a decent towing capacity?
As has been said numerous times on the thread, if you've got a large vehicle and actually use it for hauling/towing, etc. most would have no issue with that. Stuff has to get done. The derision here is towards people who buy huge impractical vehicles for touring and commuting with no intent of using them for a commercial hauling or towing activity.

Quote:
How would all you tree huggers feel if Escalades got 80 miles per gallon?
Given the engineering that would be required to make that happen, I'd probably be driving something that got 200mpg and still pointing a finger at the Escalade driver

Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Not one damn Escilade among them.

Actually, not one SUV or truck among them. All mid-sized or compacts. Amazing, isn't it?
All I got out of that post was confirmation that traffic that can actually see well ahead of their car = less dangerous passing.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
All I got out of that post was confirmation that traffic that can actually see well ahead of their car = less dangerous passing.
What you should've gotten is that jerks behind the wheel are not limited to the vehicle types most complained about in this thread.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
What you should've gotten is that jerks behind the wheel are not limited to the vehicle types most complained about in this thread.
Actually, the only person in the wrong was the idiot that didn't move over regardless of speed. If you aren't passing move over. "Slower traffic keep right" is on most big roads. Therefore the people passing on the left were correct in doing so. They wanted to go faster than the idiot hogging the left lane. If Scott P was driving behind the idiot, he would have passed on the left. For that matter so would I.

SUV's and pickups can't maneuver, so they rarely pass on the right. Too dangerous. Cars can maneuver.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Actually, the only person in the wrong was the idiot that didn't move over regardless of speed. If you aren't passing move over. "Slower traffic keep right" is on most big roads. Therefore the people passing on the left were correct in doing so. They wanted to go faster than the idiot hogging the left lane. If Scott P was driving behind the idiot, he would have passed on the left. For that matter so would I.
I'm going to assume you meant passing on the right, because passing her on the left would've required passing on the shoulder. I think that one can get you cited for "reckless driving".

It could be argued though, that she wasn't in the wrong:

Quote:
d) Driving in right lane.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) and unless otherwise posted, upon all limited access highways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lanes when available for traffic except when any of the following conditions exist:

(i) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

(ii) When traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow.
(Italics added for emphasis.)

She was moving faster than the traffic in the right lane, as evidenced by the fact that one of the passing vehicles had to move to the extreme right lane--she was passing the vehicle in the center lane at the time.

Anyway, 15 over the limit is worth 3 points. 16-24 over the limit is worth 4 points. Driving too slowly (Driving so slow as to “impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.”), is worth zero points, although there is a fine. Apparently, at least as far as points go, somebody in authority thinks the folks who passed her on the right were marginally more in the wrong than she was.

Quote:
SUV's and pickups can't maneuver, so they rarely pass on the right. Too dangerous. Cars can maneuver.
The nicest way I can respond to that is to say that's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh