Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,580,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
He was watching some MTV show about rich girls sweet 16 birthday parties, an I asked him how he could stand watching it, because seeing such vapid, useless people with so much money to waste infuriated me. His response was "they worked hard for their money, they deserve to spend it." Which dumbfounded me, because even if the parents of these 16-year olds did work hard, they certainly did not.

That story summarizes everything anyone ever needs to know about American political culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,588,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachoz View Post
re-open thread.

just one last question. considering downtown pittsburgh to be perfectly safe, is there any neighborhood in the pittsburgh area where that business suit wearing professional would get hassled walking down the street as i described?
I can't think of one. Most of the crime in the harsher neighborhoods is drug/gang related. Mugging a guy in a suit and tie brings the cops in, which is bad for business.

I'm not kidding when I say that I've walked throughout the hill and the north side, day or night, any time of year, even with a broken arm in a sling making me an easy target, and never had a problem. Ever.

I used to work in a restaurant in the south side' and would walk home through the hill to get to my apt in Polish Hill. On one cold winter's night I noticed that there were a group of rather large and imposing black men standing in the road in front of me. As I approached them I realized a few things:

1.They were definately intoxicated. It was Saturday afterall.
2. They were taking a leak in the snow
3. They were talking about college football while admiring the full moon that night.

Being an avid college football fan I stopped to chat them up. Nice guys by all accounts. The thing that most people either forget or don't realize about these neighborhoods is that there are a lot of really nice and friendly working class people living there who have nothing to do with the crime that gives those places a negative reputation.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachoz View Post
I also saw a few crazy people yelling.
You'll actually see this on almost every block in Pittsburgh---not just Downtown. I've noticed more and more mentally disturbed people roaming the streets here than ever before just wandering in and out of traffic, yelling profane language at nobody in particular, muttering to themselves, staring at passersby, etc. We get quite a few of them at my primary workplace in Oakland. It's as if we're the new "Portlandia". I just wish there was some way to get them the help they need before they follow the same path that disgruntled people like Michael Shick did when he opened fire at Western Psych.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,726,444 times
Today I learned that juggalos roam the streets of downtown Pittsburgh spraying Faygo on anyone wearing a suit.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 AM

632 posts, read 1,072,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Today I learned that juggalos roam the streets of downtown Pittsburgh spraying Faygo on anyone wearing a suit.
First time I've heard Faygo mentioned since I move here...+1

Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
First time I've heard Faygo mentioned since I move here...+1
The Shop N Save in Baldwin has $.50 cent cans of Faygo in a vending machine. Mega time warp.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,965,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
We need to call in a tactical nuclear strike on Downtown. It's the only way to deal with a Juggalo infestation.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
We need to call in a tactical nuclear strike on Downtown. It's the only way to deal with a Juggalo infestation.
Nuke the entire site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,148,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You'll actually see this on almost every block in Pittsburgh---not just Downtown.
Note to out-of-town lurkers: It is probably slight hyperbole to say that there are visibly mentally ill people on every block in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Note to out-of-town lurkers: It is probably slight hyperbole to say that there are visibly mentally ill people on every block in Pittsburgh.
Straight up Arkham City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh