Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 14,396 times

Advertisements

I currently live in North Huntingdon but am looking to buy a home in Aspinwall. The area seems perfect for us but it seems like there are not many homes for sale.
1. Is this always the case in Aspinwall or is this just a dry spell?
2. Any advice on local sites that may have more advertised?
3. Any equivalent areas you would suggest we look?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Your price range needs to be above $175K most likely. I was looking at a couple of homes a while back. one was $100K, but on Freeport Rd and the other was $129K and it needed work and was up on the hill. There is never a ton of homes for sale. As far as ads go, all homes are on the multi list pretty much. I do think it is a bit of a dry spell though. Check out Valley Drive in O'Hara and maybe some of the other streets like Virginia Ave. Ext, or around Delafield.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Aspinwall is pretty small, and reasonably priced homes in the nicer neighborhoods in the core area (which definitely includes Aspinwall) have been selling very fast lately.

Anyway, if you tell us why you are looking in Aspinwall, we can likely come up with some alternatives.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
...we can likely come up with some alternatives.
If school is part of their equation, there isn't an alternative, other than parts of O'Hara and even FC that are in walking distance of Aspinwall. I already mentioned that however. There are really no other places like this area.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 PM

I'll let the OP explain what he or she is looking for.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone. Our budget is max 400 but that would only be if it was move in ready. We would prefer under that range. I lived in NYC for 11 years and am looking for more of an urban/community feel with good schools so Aspinwall seemed to fit the bill. There may be other neighborhoods but I am not that familar with the area.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekagee View Post
Thanks everyone. Our budget is max 400 but that would only be if it was move in ready. We would prefer under that range. I lived in NYC for 11 years and am looking for more of an urban/community feel with good schools so Aspinwall seemed to fit the bill. There may be other neighborhoods but I am not that familar with the area.
Yeah, I figured school was part of the equation. I live in Fox Chapel and know the area very well. I am in Aspinwall every day. Brian lives way out in Wilkinsburg and that is very far away. I will try and assist. Your budget is high enough you need to include O'Hara and Fox Chapel incase there is a home right next to Aspinwall that you can walk in. Expand your search a bit. Another are is Sewickley, but it is a little further out. Nice though.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 PM

Thanks Curtis. What type of feel does O'Hara have?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 PM

377 posts, read 652,244 times
Quote:
You may be interested in checking out Mt. Lebanon as well. Parts of it are dense, very good school, access to the T, community feel. The school does not have buses---the kids can walk to school. I actually really like that. My school was also one of the few in the area without buses and we had fun walking to and from.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I lived in NYC for 11 years and am looking for more of an urban/community feel with good schools so Aspinwall seemed to fit the bill. There may be other neighborhoods but I am not that familar with the area.
A couple other areas to consider would be Mt Lebanon and perhaps Sewickley (edit: as others also noted--these are commonly cross-shopped neighborhoods. unedit). Of course none of these are "urban" in the NYC sense, but they are all older, denser suburbs with walkable commercial centers and very good schools.

Personally, I would also consider living in some parts of the City, although that makes the school issues more complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh