Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM

456 posts, read 833,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Like you, when I first came to Pittsburgh from the Coastal region, it seemed totally Midwestern to me. When you move somewhere new, it's natural to initially overemphasize the starker differences over the more subtle similarities, of which there are quite a few. Once again, "Rust Belt" is not a culture in and of itself. There are notable former industrial outposts ranging from interior New England to the Great Plains. I would not say Pittsfield, MA has a whole lot in common with Green Bay, WI. The Midwestern Gateway may begin in Pittsburgh, but it extends across the Northern WV panhandle through to Youngstown or so.
Yeah well with Pittsburgh being gateway to Midwest or starting point, you can still say it's part of the general midwest region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yeah look at it, metals are unique to Pennsylvania, New York, and Eastern Ohio. Do you consider Western New York the Midwest too becuase it's also west of the continental divide? Probably not.
I would just put Western PA in that label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
1. You don't' live in Alpine or you wouldn't post such a stupid thread. Been there many times and know the area well. No one in Alpine would bother with such a silly thread. You are on the outside looking in. Don't pretend to be one of them. Greenwich, CT and places like Rye, NY are top level areas. They aren't where you are from. You can't ride on their coat tails because you live within 20 miles of them.

The income is high due to proximity to NYC. You are their sprawl. Many commute into the Apple and make a good wage. Take NYC out of that area and you are Camden over night. It is what it is. I know that area too well. Lots of dumps around in NJ in and about the Apple. I suspect that is where you hail from. Can't blame you for having resentment. It would be hard not to.
1. Silly thread? Just because I don't praise Pittsburgh, it's silly? Actually the area where I'm from is fairly wealthy also and a suburb of NYC.

2. Yes, NJ is divided into Philly and NYC metropolitan areas, it's a small state heavily influenced by those two big cities. Talking about 'dumps' Pittsburgh has them, so does the state of NJ, especially in central Jersey. What's your point in that? lol

Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post

How? Western New York meets all of your stupid criteria for the "Midwest" as well. Once again, you prove you have no idea what you're talking about. Unlike Western New York, Western PA actually has hills; how un-Midwestern eh?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
How? Western New York meets all of your stupid criteria for the "Midwest" as well. Once again, you prove you have no idea what you're talking about. Unlike Western New York, Western PA actually has hills; how un-Midwestern eh?
I said if you have hills you are not Midwestern? Again, New York just hasn't ever been part of the Midwest, while areas of Western PA such as Pittsburgh have been more often included the Midwestern zone, especially culturally. Culturally Pittsburgh is closer to midwest than to East Coast.

I don't understand why people here are annoyed with Pittsburgh being mid-western city.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUncultured View Post
Quit arguing with this imbecile. It is clear that he has a fairly low IQ and most if you are to smart to waste you time on idiots, or imbeciles as I like to call him. Let him go back to dirty Jersey where the lowest backwash of society resides and be the uneducated ignorant imbecile idiot he is.
You seriously have some issues if this is your reaction when someone labels Pittsburgh as part of Mid-west.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:45 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Yeah well with Pittsburgh being gateway to Midwest or starting point, you can still say it's part of the general midwest region.

1. Silly thread? Just because I don't praise Pittsburgh, it's silly? Actually the area where I'm from is fairly wealthy also and a suburb of NYC.

2. Yes, NJ is divided into Philly and NYC metropolitan areas, it's a small state heavily influenced by those two big cities. Talking about 'dumps' Pittsburgh has them, so does the state of NJ, especially in central Jersey. What's your point in that? lol
1. I really don't care if you or the world considers Pittsburgh a gateway to the midwest. It is fine with me. Not a put down in anyway.
2. I could care less if you like Pittsburgh or hate it. It isn't for everyone just like NJ isn't for everyone. NYC certainly isn't for everyone. Your opinion is dust in the wind. So is mine. The masses dictate trends, not a few people. Pittsburgh is doing pretty well, thanks.
3. NJ has no identity. It is suburbs of the big time cities. They don't have one of their own. It is what it is. NJ folks aways seem to be ashamed to say, "we are from NJ". Why? They are just feeder folks to the big cities. Nothing anyone can do about it. Oh, Princeton is a nice place and a very good university. I will give you that. I'll take the campus over Penn's.

Last edited by gg; 05-27-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Quit arguing with this imbecile. It is clear that he has a fairly low IQ and most if you are to smart to waste you time on idiots, or imbeciles as I like to call him. Let him go back to dirty Jersey where the lowest backwash of society resides and be the uneducated ignorant imbecile idiot he is.
Why do I have the feeling you fail to see the irony in this post?

Also, maast, the gateway terminology emphasizes that PGH is far from "full-blown Midwest." There are pretty big differences between the city and Detroit and Chicago. Even Cleveland is far from identical. It is also true that according to your criteria, Buffalo would be just as Midwestern as Pittsburgh.

I agree people tend to be overly-offended by the "Pittsburgh as Midwest" label. That doesn't make it any more correct, however.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
Just as a sidenote to the "discussion" here-- I moved here in 2006 from Northern New Jersey and I adore Pittsburgh. It's its own place with its own unique identity, it's not for everyone-- but believe me neither is New Jersey.

As far as northeast/Midwest- call me crazy but I'd say most easterners put that line right on the Ohio state line.

As far as food- some of the best Italian meals I've had in my life have been in Pittsburgh- and I'm includin travels through Italy. Davio in Beechview of all places and Il Pizzaiolo in mt . Lebanon come to mind just off the top of my head.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
OP, I know you didn't want to reveal where you are from but now I'm curious. Also, I won't judge you because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
From his posts, we know this much:

He says he isn't Hispanic or Latino.

He says his family socializes with people who speak the same language but most aren't necessarily from his country of origin.

He says he was born in a country that is different from his "heritage country."

He says he spent many summers in the country of his heritage because his relatives live there.

His relatives live in his "heritage country" and he associates himself more with them than his country of origin.

He says there is a large population of people who speak the same language as him in Northern NJ.

He says (repeatedly) that he is willing to fight for his country of origin over the US or anywhere else. (Very few countries have people feeling such a strong alliance to state repeatedly that they would fight for that country to the point of renouncing American citizenship.)

Since the map he posted of NJ shows large areas of Indian and Jewish populations, I'm guessing his "heritage country" is Pakistan or Israel.

Maybe a middle eastern country since India's Urdu is spoken in Afganistan and Turkmenistan in addition to Pakistan and other places.

Least likely is Israel since Jews have little reason to feel the need to renounce American citizenship to fight for their country, but I had to give it honorable mention since there is a large Jewish community and his language could be Hebrew instead of Urdu.

This is just from reading a few posts in a couple of threads. I'm sure if he analyzed the information in all of his posts, we could narrow it down better.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-27-2012 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
You forgot "has a low IQ, and finds it challenging analyzing simple things."
That's an unlikely indicator of which country is his "heritage country." Statistically, they all can't be mentally challenged.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
From his posts, we know this much:

He says he isn't Hispanic or Latino.

He says his family socializes with people who speak the same language but most aren't necessarily from his country of origin.

He says he was born in a country that is different from his "heritage country."

He says he spent many summers in the country of his heritage because his relatives live there.

His relatives live in his "heritage country" and he associates himself more with them than his country of origin.

He says there is a large population of people who speak the same language as him in Northern NJ.

He says (repeatedly) that he is willing to fight for his country of origin over the US or anywhere else. (Very few countries have people feeling such a strong alliance to state repeatedly that they would fight for that country to the point of renouncing American citizenship.)

Since the map he posted of NJ shows large areas of Indian and Jewish populations, I'm guessing his "heritage country" is Pakistan or Israel.

Maybe a middle eastern country since India's Urdu is spoken in Afganistan and Turkmenistan in addition to Pakistan and other places.

Least likely is Israel since Jews have little reason to feel the need to renounce American citizenship to fight for their country, but I had to give it honorable mention since there is a large Jewish community and his language could be Hebrew instead of Urdu.

This is just from reading a few posts in a couple of threads. I'm sure if he analyzed the information in all of his posts, we could narrow it down better.
As a Jew, I really hope it isn't Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh