Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Are you out of your mind? My house is baking in the sun!
We purposely suffer in the first part of the summer so my body can adjust to summer temps. Otherwise, 75 degree days would be miserable for me. But after I've suffered through 95 degree days, 75 feels awesome. I'm very sensitive to temperature. My comfort zone is only 68 to 72. There is no other way for me to adjust to seasonal temperature changes other than forcing my body to endure the coldest or hottest I can handle for an extended period of time before turning on the air conditioning or furnace.

Quote:
Of course if a home is in the shade, it would help a lot. I planted a tree to help, but don't know if I will live to enjoy the shade.
You could replant with a fast growing tree. There are some trees that grow 8' per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You could replant with a fast growing tree. There are some trees that grow 8' per year.
Be careful with your advice. Some fast growing trees are very invasive, so you don't want to just plant any tree. If you need some advice on this let me know. I will tell you at least that a fast growing tree like a sliver maple could be a big mistake long term. I planted a fast growing tree that happens to be a maple, but a noninvasive one.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
had flashbacks to living in FL when I went out this morning to leave for work. I felt the humidity in my lungs when taking a breath. For all the Pittsburghers that dream of moving to FL, go outside today and soak in the heat and humidity. Then see if you'd like that for 6 months a year.
The humidity is much worse in Florida.

When I got home today I felt that it was more akin to an oven than a tropical swamp.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,559 times
Quote:
Are you out of your mind? My house is baking in the sun! Of course if a home is in the shade, it would help a lot. I planted a tree to help, but don't know if I will live to enjoy the shade.
I hate turning ac on but finally did yesterday. .Being energy conscious I too will tolerate heat much longer than the average joe....so what you consider crazy is called conservation both on the power grid and my pocket book. I am amazed at air conditioners running even in the low 80's...and i have asthma and do just fine. I find it amusing and sad that people are too lazy to turn ac and open windows when temperatures drop down. Whole house fans are a great alternative too and I am looking at a solar powered one as an option but need to do a bit more research.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
i have asthma...
You have asthma and live in Pittsburgh? I would move in a heartbeat.

I wanted an attic fan, but my home can't have one. I did everything I could to try and get one installed, but my home isn't built for it. If you have one, that is a game changer.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,559 times
Quote:
You have asthma and live in Pittsburgh? I would move in a heartbeat.

I wanted an attic fan, but my home can't have one. I did everything I could to try and get one installed, but my home isn't built for it. If you have one, that is a game changer.
Lol....Histrionic much???! No issues for me. I have lived all over the country and heard people whine about each area but I only have minor problems with very cold temps. I have to ride with my mouth covered below 35 and have to be careful in the teens.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The humidity is much worse in Florida.

When I got home today I felt that it was more akin to an oven than a tropical swamp.
Yeah, I didn't feel much humidity yesterday morning. It was more humid than previous days but not as humid as it can get. I was dripping with sweat for simply lifting a pinky finger. It hasn't been that humid yet this summer.

Loved the storm that came through last night. It cooled everything off so quickly.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Attic fans are awesome. I can't have one either because my attic is finished. When I was growing up, my parents had a powerful window fan that was bolted to the window frame. Came from Sears. It cooled the house off in minutes by sucking all the air out of the house. There was a literal breeze from every window in the house when it was on exhaust. I tried to find one (I hate airconditioning!), but they don't make fans that powerful these days, except maybe industrial fans. There are people who collect them. That's how awesome they were. Solid metal. Horsepower you could fly an airplane with. Loud as all get out but totally worth the few minutes it took to replace the air in a house.

I just found this great article written by someone who tested multiple types of fans. It's an interesting read on how fans cool air. The picture in the article is a modern window fan, not anything near as powerful as my parents owned.

Bring On The Big Fans

Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Seeing nearly 80 degrees yesterday at like 6am was just too much. Right now it's below 70, that's a little better. I did walk outside at 8 yesterday and thought it felt like mid afternoon already.

Weather Channel info for my zip code said our high yesterday was 100.

The rain up here did not cool anything off quickly either. It did rain 0.2 inch, not nothing at least, but not really much. More today (looks like it's coming) wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The rain up here did not cool anything off quickly either. It did rain 0.2 inch, not nothing at least, but not really much. More today (looks like it's coming) wouldn't be a bad thing.
Really? That's a shame. It dropped to 72 degrees in my area very quickly. It went from 100 at 3pm to 72 by 8pm. That's a huge temperature drop---30 degrees in 5 hours. The most impressive was between 7pm and 8pm when the storms came in. It was 91 at 7pm and 72 an hour later----almost 20 degrees in a hour. We didn't get much rain but we got a lot of wind and that wind is what changed the temperature so quickly. I turned off the air conditioning and opened all of the windows around 9pm. Once the fresh air was exchanged, my house felt cooler than with the air conditioning. When I woke up, I closed my windows to capture the cooler air in the house before the temperature starts to rise today. At least it's not sunny. I hope the clouds stay all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh