Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 AM

92 posts, read 92,561 times

Advertisements

a week ago yesterday on a sunny Saturday I cruised from the west easily through the Fort Pitt tunnel and saw the downtown for the first time. Really a great sight. I then proceeded east to investigate Monroeville and found myself stuck in the Squirrel Hill tunnel traffic for over an hour. The traffic traveling in the west direction was flowing fast however. When I got through the clog I never did see any work really going on, just closed lanes?

to the point - this leaves me with no senese of what the tunnels are like on a Mon-Fri 9AM timeframe.

I realize that there is construction going on in the SH tunnel but once thats complete whats the story? Are the SH and FP tunnels both just as bad as each other and how bad is that exactly. Also since I may be driving from the south (leaving the house at 9:00 AM) what about the Liberty Tunnel/Bridge?

I assume from the northern Cranberry or Ross areas there is no tunnel - at least I don't recall one?

I ask because I have yet to finalize where I will find that first year rental. I'm leaning south but.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:17 AM

491 posts, read 1,434,005 times
The 279 south (parkway west) is usually pretty heavy in the morning heading into the city and heading out during evening rush hour. I would recommend against taking that route. As for the liberty tunnel at those times, I don't take them often, but they are usually moderately busy. I will ask my girlfriend when she gets home from work and ask her how that route usually is, she takes that route daily.

I assume you will be working downtown?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 AM

206 posts, read 688,680 times
Yes, there is no tunnel heading North. The in-town entrances to 279 N can get a little backed up, and there is some jamming in the morning heading into town, but it is probably the least congested.

Next best would be the Fort Pitt tunnels. Locations south and southwest are served by them and the western route around the backside of the hill on Rt 51, so there is less jamming there.

Worse yet are the Liberty Bridge and tunnels. It isn't actually the tunnels that cause as much of a problem, but the bridge, which has very poorly laid out and undersized on-ramps going from the north to the south. Backups here to get on the bridge from town or 279 southbound can be 45 minutes during a bad rush, but are more commonly about 20 minutes. Coming in from the south on this route is pretty good, unless you have to travel on Rt 51 northbound to get to the tunnel -- 51 between the Liberty Tubes and Rt 88 is very congested during both rush hours.

Worst of all are the Sq Hill Tunnels. In addition to the large amount of traffic heading that way, there is a mysterious and well-documented slowing phenomenon inside the tunnels -- a small number of people seem to slow to about 45 inside the tunnel. As soon as traffic exits, it speeds right back up again. No one has a good explanation for it -- some posit the tunnel is disturbing an Indian burial ground and they are exacting their revenge -- personally I think it something to do with square shape of the walls and low ceiling. I try to be mindful of my speed in there but I have noticed that a few times when I was thinking about something else, I slowed in there too. It's somehow mesmerizing in a way the other tunnels aren't. Anyhow, during rush, I'd say you can expect a 45 minute delay in the Sq Hill Tunnel. In addition, sometimes that route is backed in both directions due to people coming in for a game or concert.

Finally, "rush hour" in town here seems to last from about 3:00 to 5:45. By 6 pm, most routes are clearing significantly. Afternoon rush is much worse than morning rush, for some reason. So, if you can work a somewhat different schedule, you can avoid the worst of it.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I used to sit in traffic on West Liberty Ave in order to go through the Liberty Tunnels, until I realized that though more convoluted, it's easier to cut up and over Mt. Washington and pick up the Liberty Bridge at the bottom of McArdle roadway.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM

yes, I will be working downtown in the Mellon tower. I do have flex time and report to work at 9:30-5:30 which could be switched to 10:00-6:00 and I usually linger at bit later finishing things up. probably 6:30 or so.

I am looking aty a townhome way down on 51 which at that point I think is called Clairton Road? Its not far from the Century III Mall. The manager said the driving in would be a bit quicker than driving to the T and taking the T if I'm leaving home around 9:00 AM

Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
If you can work from 10-6, you can be at work within 15 minutes if you live in the North Hills areas of Ross or Shaler townships.

You will have not much traffic at all after 6pm. 10am is a breeze too.

Parking in the Mellon garage can be expensive, but I always prefered driving to taking the bus.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you can work from 10-6, you can be at work within 15 minutes if you live in the North Hills areas of Ross or Shaler townships.

You will have not much traffic at all after 6pm. 10am is a breeze too.

Parking in the Mellon garage can be expensive, but I always prefered driving to taking the bus.
I agree Hopes, Parking at the Mellon Gararge is outrageous!

Someone I know that already works in Pitt says you can park at the Mellon arena for 5.75 a day and that they run free shuttles over to Mellon. That's a bit more reasonable.

$115 a month compared to the $275 at the Mellon Garage.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
If you're an employee of Mellon, you can get a discounted rate if you do a monthly lease and have the payment withheld from your paycheck.

I highly recommend the North Hills for working at Mellon The North Hills (Ross or Shaler) has the easiest access to the Mellon parking garage.

You merely shoot across the 579 bridge, take a ramp and the entrance to the garage is a block away.

Also, the 579 bridge has the most lanes and traffic moves more quickly on it than any other bridge in the area when there is heavy traffic.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:29 AM

I was not aware of that - I will look into it, do you work at Mellon also Hopes?

As we speak I am looking in the areas you mention for possible rentals. I really liked the townhome I spoke of down on Rt 51 for $775. The commute is what makes me a bit uneasy, Rt 51 looks like a difficult commute no matter what time of day but I'm not sure.

30 minutes or so is fine but 45 - 1 hour can get old every day. 2 hours everyday day spent in traffic?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I wouldn't want to drive all the way downtown from West Mifflin on 51. That area by Library Rd is always, always congested. I live in Beechview, and it takes me 20-25 minutes on a weekend to get to Century III in very little traffic--I can't imagine how long it'd take to drive it during rush hour.

Plus, it's not only a hassle to get to the city for work, but also to the city for theater, restaurants, etc. I'd want to live closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh