Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 08:12 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I don't really, either, as long as they are not content with the WC. I'm not saying last night's dud of a game was related to the previous night's celebration but its a little disappointing that they came out so flat with so much on the line. The bats need to start waking up, and quick, if we are to challenge teams better than the badly slumping Brewers and Braves.

Also, Locke needs to be sent packing when playoff rosters are set. I will seriously question the organization's commitment to winning if he is holding down a place in the rotation out of spring training next year. He is wildly inconsistent, has bad peripherals, and is too dependent on getting favorable calls from the ump. I also don't like his post-game demeanor, where he seemed kind of "meh" that his poor performance cost them the game. I believe at one point during his locker room interview he was claiming that he had pitched pretty well aside from a few bad pitches. The difference between him and The Vanimal is night and day, even if Vance has an occasional bad game as well.
Locke's post-game interviews make me want to throw things at my TV. He was exactly the same last year. Clueless.

Last seven games have been pretty bad for the offense, except Cutch and Marte. Harrison is still making great contact, but now he's finding leather instead of grass. Otherwise, a lot of bad ABs. And in last five games, Bucs are 3-35 in RISP.

At least they're already in with a few days to get back on track. And the Giants offense looks just as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,253,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
so erieguy, as you're so certain Martin will go, will you put your money on the table that he does? How much? You're always right, so I expect a decent amount ...
Any amount you want to lose. I'll be happy to take your money. PM me.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Any amount you want to lose. I'll be happy to take your money. PM me.
I know nothing about baseball so I'd be happy to hear you match your confidence and knowledge with $$s, and then we can discuss further ...

Old 09-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I know nothing about baseball so I'd be happy to hear you match your confidence and knowledge with $$s, and then we can discuss further ...
PM me. I've been legally betting on/against the Bucs for years. I'll be happy to wager any amount.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
PM me. I'll be happy to wager any amount.
I'd prefer to keep this in the open, if that's ok. You're always right, so no need for a PM, let's entertain our fellow forumites. Money on the virtual table, please, and we can discuss ...

Old 09-25-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I'd prefer to keep this in the open, if that's ok. You're always right, so no need for a PM, let's entertain our fellow forumites. Money on the virtual table, please, and we can discuss ...
I know I'm always right about the Bucs. I've proven that. "Virtual money"? Sounds like you're willing to talk but that's as far as it goes. I'll amuse you since it's virtual money. "1 Billion dollars".

Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I know I'm always right about the Bucs. I've proven that. "Virtual money"? Sounds like you're willing to talk but that's as far as it goes. I'll amuse you since it's virtual money. "1 Billion dollars".
virtual table doesn't mean virtual money. if you pitch a serious offer, things may proceed ... I dunno why this is hard for you as you're always telling everyone else to place their bets, and you bet all the time - just name the amount you'd place on legal bet on martin staying/leaving ... it's not hard for someone as incredibly knowledgeable as you ... surely?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,513 times
This is getting intense...

Old 09-25-2014, 08:47 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I think it is over the top, and the celbrating should start when you secuer something other than a one game playoff. The reality is, they may play one extra day than the Cubs! Anyone can win a one game playoff..... the goal needs to be the division.

And you can blame the division on Huntington because this team always has to spend a month or two trying to formulate a pitching staff...... and in some ways a roster (Travis Ishikawa and Wandy Rodriguez anyone), so they blow the first part of their season going 18-26 or whatever it was. While this i a great accomplishment to even get to the one game playoff, this isn't a great team. It won't even win 90 games.

Next year should be the year they pump some money into the team, keep Martin and Liriano, and go for it. They have some pieces in place.
I assume then that you feel the same way about the Steelers or Pens making the playoffs w/o winning their division?

I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about Orioles, who, compared to most of the rest of the AL East, really have a crap roster, a lower payroll than NYY/BOS/TOR, only three regulars outperforming their contracts (one of whom is Steve Pearce), blew $11 mill on Ubaldo Jimenez and are getting by with injuries to their 3b and C with flotsam and jetsam.

What they do have is a former PED using DH who hits 40 HRs, a bullpen that succeeded at a higher rate than Pittsburgh's, the #2 defense in MLB (Pirates are in bottom five) and a day-to-day ability to play fundamentally sound baseball under Showalter's guidance.

I'll give you Wandy and Ish. But even with that, there's a good 4-5 losses that were easily avoidable had the Bucs actually played intelligently and up to their capabilities. And that's enough to have won the division.

Upthread I said that the Bucs can beat anyone if they play clean and smart. The problem is they don't play clean and smart enough consistently. Even last night, Marte misplays a fairly easy fly ball into a double that leads to runs. Of course Locke didn't help, but Marte started that mess.

Last edited by sskink; 09-25-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
This is getting intense...
I dunno about intense, but certainly it's invoking some weird behavior - erieguy hasn't responded to my post in 30 minutes!!! That is completely unheard of - he's an average of 2 minutes per response - on a slow day.

Ah well, hours of meetings in my immediate future and then the Book of Mormon ... hopefully the Bucs can win tonight and keep the pressure on the cards and Giants. This is a really exciting end to the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh