Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 04:22 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

They could have really used Travis Snider yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:53 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
They could have really used Travis Snider yesterday.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Brown and Walk are obviously going to "HOMER" it up again this year.
And as well they should, it sure makes the broadcast a lot more interesting to listen to than Neverette's inability to actually describe what's happening on the baseball field.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:53 AM

Not serious. My wife keeps telling me to get over it. What can I say, l liked the guy, he played hurt and kept his mouth shut. Just thought he was worth keeping around.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
And as well they should, it sure makes the broadcast a lot more interesting to listen to than Neverette's inability to actually describe what's happening on the baseball field.
It's ridiculous. He tied the game. Move on. Neverette's just fine. He just doesn't appeal as much to "homers".

Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Funny, I wish Neverette was the lead guy. Seems to be the most professional of the group. Brown's fake laughter grates on me after a while. But he beats Lanny by a frickin' mile.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Funny, I wish Neverette was the lead guy. Seems to be the most professional of the group. Brown's fake laughter grates on me after a while. But he beats Lanny by a frickin' mile.
Couldn't agree more about Brown and Neverette. Brown is just ridiculous and Walk is real close to him. Just call the game. 1st game, he ties it, and that and thereafter one would've thought it was a crucial game. I can only imagine how much worse it's gonna get.

I always liked Lanny.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Couldn't agree more about Brown and Neverette. Brown is just ridiculous and Walk is real close to him. Just call the game. 1st game, he ties it, and that and thereafter one would've thought it was a crucial game. I can only imagine how much worse it's gonna get.

I always liked Lanny.
Wow, we really disagree on that one. He drove me nuts with his Go ball, get outta here! He should have coined a better phrase. Plus, my wife and I ran into him at Spring Training years ago and merely wished him a good season and he could not have been more rude.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Neverette has a nice radio voice and seems like a decent guy. He just isn't very good at describing a baseball game.

Uses the same action verbs for every play (anything hit to the outfield is either "DRILLED" or "HAMMERED").

Starts every call on a ball hit in the air like it has a chance to leave the yard.

Misses pitches way more often than a purportedly good PBP man should - suddenly the count goes from 0-1 to 2-1.

Doesn't effectively convey what happened. Recent example, I was listening to the exhibition game in Philly on Friday night and at one point he said that the batter hit a "roller to the right side," and only after waiting for the follow-up description of an infielder making a play did I realize he actually meant a foul ball.

He has a hard time keeping up with more convoluted plays, too. He'll just let the whole thing play out and say what the outcome was, but I'll never get a clear picture of what actually transpired on the play.

I don't think Brown's "homerism" is a negative trait. I love his enthusiasm and the fact that he lives and dies with the team like the fans do, but more importantly, he's also just a much better game-caller. It'd be one thing if he didn't bother learning even cursory things about the other teams or was constantly putting the opponents down like, say, the Cards guys (Shannon and Rooney are insufferable), but I'll take Brown over the mediocre hired gun of Neverette any day.

I honestly sometimes run out of patience if Neverette is on the radio side and put on the opponent's broadcast instead if I happen to like their crew.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Wow, we really disagree on that one. He drove me nuts with his Go ball, get outta here! He should have coined a better phrase. Plus, my wife and I ran into him at Spring Training years ago and merely wished him a good season and he could not have been more rude.
I grew up listening to him and I like the go ball dealio better than Brown calling the ball going out and then you hear "and it's caught". Every time I hear him being wrong which is often I think about Major League with the die hard Indian fans in the center field stands and hearing "it's too high" when the opposing team crushed a home run.

"Rooks Book" always cracked me up. Mostly the same for every single batter.

Last edited by erieguy; 04-07-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh