Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 17,990 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew what to do in a situation where one's landlord puts a house on the market and plans to sell although the current tenants still have 8+ month's to go on the lease. I have been paid all rent on time and have not broken the lease in any way. When the the property sells does the lease transfer and have to be upheld by the new owner or am I required to vacate? Any help would be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,425 times
So this happened to me once, actually, and the only thing that changed was where I mailed my rent check. I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advice, but I would guess that the new landlord will have to honor your lease unless there is specific language in the lease agreement that says otherwise.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:58 PM

128 posts, read 201,309 times
First of all you should thoroughly review your lease documents. If your lease contains a termination clause upon sale of the property you have your answer.

If your lease does not speak to termination upon sale then PA law controls and there is no cause that I am aware of in the landlord-tenant act that allows for termination of a residential lease except in cases of lease term expiration, non-payment or other material breach of the lease.

In short, unless your lease says otherwise the new owner will assume the lease.

IANAL so your mileage may vary.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
That can vary by state, but generally, unless there is a clause in the lease specifying an option to end the lease in case of a sale, the new owner is obligated to fulfill the terms of the lease. Often they will try to buy you out if they intend to move in. If they bought as an investment, you can expect a big rent increase if you want to stay when the old one does expire. Read your lease, and see if there is any reference to this situation. Most people don't read their lease carefully and miss things like this.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:36 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
The people renting the house my son bought had to vacate.
They did not read their lease (they went to month to month after two annual - they were there over three years), and they were quite mad. Fortunately, they did not damage the property....

Old 09-09-2012, 03:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedsoutherner View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew what to do in a situation where one's landlord puts a house on the market and plans to sell although the current tenants still have 8+ month's to go on the lease. I have been paid all rent on time and have not broken the lease in any way. When the the property sells does the lease transfer and have to be upheld by the new owner or am I required to vacate? Any help would be very appreciated!
Depends on the lease, some of the standard lease forms can terminate the lease 60 days after the property changes hands.

Usually it doesn't make a difference if the new landlord intends to continue to be a landlord. But if he wants to move into the building himself or use it for another purpose, then it becomes problematic.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
So this happened to me once, actually, and the only thing that changed was where I mailed my rent check. I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advice, but I would guess that the new landlord will have to honor your lease unless there is specific language in the lease agreement that says otherwise.
Unless the new owner intends to occupy the property. Check your state LL tenant rights.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,442 times
The lease should transfer to the new owner, but many leases have a "sales clause" of 30-90 days.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM

377 posts, read 651,970 times
We went through this when buying our duplex. I was moving in one half and my sister in the other. Luckily we ended up finding a place with no one living in it. For some of the others place we saw most had verbiage concerning if the property sold. One did not and we were going to try to buy them out but we ended up picking a different property.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,893 times
Few years back I was looking to buy a duplex and I would have kept the tenants but that came with it but the tenants made it so difficult to get an appointment to see the place that clearly they didn;t want the property to change hands. They liked it there; they lived there for 8 years. There were 3 adults living in that duplex and they claimed they worked crazy hours; did not returned any of the realtor's calls and ultimately I don;t know how I got an appt but I did. The property had problems; I didn't buy it but I laughed after that thinking how difficult tenants made it for that guy to sell. He didn't sell it to this day. He took the sign down.

ANother duplex I saw, also rented, the tenants started to point out problems to me: leaks in the ceiling, a huge hole in the floor in the bathroom, no insulation in the attick... oh my god, I didn;t know how to run faster...

Your answer is in the lease you signed. If there is no specification of this sort I suggest you ask an attorney. But since you say you have 8 months on a lease I should say to stay calm. Properties don't sell overnight and by the time they sell your lease might be up anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh