Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 14,347 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am living in Pittsburgh for 1.5 year. In this half year, I moved from my previous apartment. My new lease is for 1 year and I had a notice recently from my landlord that states: He will show the apartment to new potential tenants beginning with the date of 02/01/2010. My lease ends in August 1, 2010. Does he has a right to enter into my house and show it to people before 6 months to my lease to end? This really disturbs me a lot as I am not familiar with these kind of laws, can someone please take me serious and answer me? It would be very very helpful.

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
He has the right to enter it for any reason he wants, with sufficient notice. Do you happen to live in an area with a high concentration of student housing? It's common practice to start showing apartments to students in February or early March so that their housing is lined up well in advance of the next school year. that way they're not running around looking for housing right as school starts. In many university towns (or their functional equivalents within a larger city -- i.e. Oakland), if you don't have housing lined up for the next school year by April, the pickins' get real slim. And think of it this way, he'll probably already have a tenant lined up by March or April, so from April through July you won't have to worry about people traipsing in and out of your apartment any more.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 AM

392 posts, read 1,069,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonorange View Post
Hi everyone,

I am living in Pittsburgh for 1.5 year. In this half year, I moved from my previous apartment. My new lease is for 1 year and I had a notice recently from my landlord that states: He will show the apartment to new potential tenants beginning with the date of 02/01/2010. My lease ends in August 1, 2010. Does he has a right to enter into my house and show it to people before 6 months to my lease to end? This really disturbs me a lot as I am not familiar with these kind of laws, can someone please take me serious and answer me? It would be very very helpful.

Thank you very much
Read your lease. Read it good. As Drover stated, the landlord has the legal right to enter your unit, for any reason, with sufficient notice.

If you're still unsure of your rights, then I would suggest maybe contacting an attorney.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
What is the big deal? Just let him show the apartment. He gave you sufficient notice...so why is this a problem?

Are you renting from Mozart by any chance?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 AM

354 posts, read 475,975 times
He has the right to do this, but what doesn't make sense is why he would. It is generally more profitable, as well as easier, for a landlord to renew a lease rather than re-rent, as there won't be any in-between maintenance expenses or any gaps in unrented time that way.

I could be way off, but the only reasons I can think of that a landlord would be showing this early would be: he knows for certain you will not be staying, he wants to fix up the place and rent it for significantly more, he wants to recoup your deposit or you are just not a good tenant.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
He has the right to do this, but what doesn't make sense is why he would. It is generally more profitable, as well as easier, for a landlord to renew a lease rather than re-rent, as there won't be any in-between maintenance expenses or any gaps in unrented time that way.

I could be way off, but the only reasons I can think of that a landlord would be showing this early would be: he knows for certain you will not be staying, he wants to fix up the place and rent it for significantly more, he wants to recoup your deposit or you are just not a good tenant.
My girlfriend had a landlord that started renting 6 months before the lease was up. He owned a building with around 100 units. He would rent half of them 6 months ahead of time and then dramatically raise the rent on the other half and tell people his apartements were so good that they rent out early. Enough people would get scared they would miss out on a great apartment that they would pay a higher price. After all - they must be good, half of the apartments are gone and it was 6 months before the lease was up!

Very shady, buy it gives some landlords a lot of extra cash...

Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,790 times
Don't let him in let him take you to court

Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Go to court for what?

What is the big deal? The landlord will have to rent the place out eventually...not letting the landlord in seems like you are just trying to pick a fight where there isn't an issue.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
On what basis?

It's an unfortunate fact of life when you're renting.

Last edited by Burghgirl17; 02-01-2010 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
I don't think there's a big deal here either. If you're looking to stay and haven't expressed that, and he's going to start showing it, now would be the time to discuss that with him.

When I lived on Mt Washington I had to let a real estate agent in to show the house to a potential buyer (it was a house turned into two apartments). The landlord did alert me to this beforehand. It wasn't sold but even if it was it wouldn't have affected my existing lease a bit, at least not without a fair bit of notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh