Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,221,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonorange View Post
I am living in Pittsburgh right now. Generally people in the forum thinks that it is normal, but y lease is going to expire in August. There are 6 months left.. It is too early for showing my apartment. Is it regular in here, i asked my friends in California, and the regulation is totally different there.
maroonorange - what is your problem with the landlord showing the apartment? Maybe he just wants to fill it as early as he can.

Why is this a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
Quote:
I am living in Pittsburgh right now. Generally people in the forum thinks that it is normal, but y lease is going to expire in August. There are 6 months left.. It is too early for showing my apartment. Is it regular in here, i asked my friends in California, and the regulation is totally different there.
Surely you don't expect him to wait until your lease has expired to start showing the apartment. So what difference does it make if he shows it now or 4 months from now? Either way you'll have people coming and going. What difference does it make when those people come or go?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What is the big deal? Just let him show the apartment. He gave you sufficient notice...so why is this a problem?

Are you renting from Mozart by any chance?

My wife is a house wife, she is at home almost all times during the day, this really bothers me. Entering my apartment without any call disturbs me. What about my privacy? What if she is in bathroom?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
My wife is a house wife, she is at home almost all times during the day, this really bothers me. Entering my apartment without any call disturbs me. What about my privacy? What if she is in bathroom?
So I'm confused. Is the issue that he's showing your apartment 6 months before your lease ends, or is the issue that he's showing your apartment without giving any advance notice that he's showing up to show the apartment? If it's the former, I'm sorry to say but that's really none of your business. If it's the latter, why not just ask him to give you some advance notice? And if he won't or doesn't, just put one of those chain latches on the door. That way if your wife is temporarily indisposed when he shows up with a prospective tenant, she can finish up what she's doing in the bathroom or put some pants on or whatever, and then unlatch the chain to let them in.

Last edited by Drover; 02-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: clarifications n' stuff

Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM

674 posts, read 1,414,636 times
If you're living in an area where there are a lot of students, this is the prime time of the year for students to be securing apartments for the fall semester. You said your lease was through August, which makes me believe that this is in such an area. Thus, the landlord showing right now is perfectly appropriate. And once he gets a renter to sign the lease for the fall, the showings will likely stop. So you're essentially putting up with it now as opposed to later.

You live in an apartment owned by someone else. If you owned something, you'd want to be able to access it, wouldn't you? If you don't want to deal with anyone else ever coming in your home, then unfortunately you need to buy your own home instead of renting.

As for your wife being at home (which you mentioned no less than 3 times) - so what? Is your landlord that scary of a guy that you fear for your wife if he enters while she is there? If so, you sure rented from the wrong person!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,221,287 times
Quote:
But that is a different question. You are now complaining about not getting notice, not that it is 6 months before the lease is up. Obviously a landlord needs to give advanced notice (and that is something you need to talk to him about), but why do you have an issue with him showing the place six months before the lease is up?

Would your wife not be at home if he showed it four months from now?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 14,349 times
Thanks to everyone, I spoke with my landlord and he also accepted that it would be too early, so managed to set up a common month )

Thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,186,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Surely you don't expect him to wait until your lease has expired to start showing the apartment. So what difference does it make if he shows it now or 4 months from now? Either way you'll have people coming and going.
Of course not, but six months is excessive. I think that three months is much more reasonable. Would you want people traipsing through your house for a possible six months before you left a place? It is a major inconvenience and disrespectful to a tenant.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Of course not, but six months is excessive. I think that three months is much more reasonable. Would you want people traipsing through your house for a possible six months before you left a place? It is a major inconvenience and disrespectful to a tenant.
Excessive by what measure? Under certain circumstances, such as in heavily student-populated areas, it makes perfect sense. If people are ready to sign a lease six months in advance, it's perfectly reasonable and proper to start showing them units as soon as they're willing to sign a lease.

I wouldn't want people traipsing in and out of my place for any length of time, period. But the real truth is, it's not "my" place at all. So if it mattered that much to me I'd either negotiate a time frame in the lease prior to signing, or I'd buy my own place. Showing your own unit to prospective tenants is not disrespectful to the current tenant, it's part of the ordinary course of doing business as a property manager.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,186,417 times
We must agree to disagree then.

Another point - the current tenant might not know exactly what his or her plans are that far in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh