Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Johnland,

Yes, there are many people who want to come back to Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, our wonderful state government decided we should have the highest corporate net income tax in the nation...thus a mediocre economy. Also, having traveled around the U.S., I can honestly say that there is a deep entitlement/union mentality around here. Public sector unions hold the power in state and local politics, which means lots of teacher strikes, transit strikes, and higher taxes to pay the demanded salaries. Two web sites I would recommend are:

Allegheny Institute
and
Pittsburgh's Future - Issues and opportunities affecting Pittsburgh and Southwestern Pennsylvania

Actually, there was a comment on the Pittsburgh's Future blog from a person from Tampa wanting to move back to Pittsburgh, but was concerned about the economy...just like you.

I think the Pittsburgh area is a great region. Unfortunately, there is a mentality/culture here which directly affects the political climate and holds back the economy. In most places, people believe that success is achieved through improving one's self, getting an education, etc. In western PA, success is achieved by going on strike. Profits are evil, (except to the extent that they can be confiscated via taxes and given to the public sector unions, of course).

That's the cultural heritage of this region. Thus it should be no suprise that the private sector isn't exactly enthusiastic about investing here, even with world-class research universities, affordable housing, etc.

Will it ever change? I'm not very optimistic. It could change if schools taught people about free market economics, how wages/salaries are determined by supply and demand, and how to succeed in a capitalistic economy. However, that last thing teachers' unions want is children learning that salaries are determined by supply and demand. *chuckle* In history class, children learn how great unions are and how businesses are out to skrew everybody, etc. And thus the cycle repeats.

Yes, all of this is controversial. I think unions were necessary back in the day when there were no labor or safety standards and people (including children) died by the thousands just trying to work and survive. No, I don't want to go back to the "robber baron" days.

But times have changed. Many new high-paying, high-skill jobs are being created nationwide, and we aren't seeing as much of it in western PA as we should. The dirty, dangerous, repetative work done by our ancestors is increasingly done by machines and computers. The new jobs of today (and the future) will be designing, building, and servicing these machines. Carnegie Mellon has a world-class robotics institute for doing just that...but so far it hasn't resulted in a booming local robotics industry.

We don't need to grow as fast as Atlanta or Phoenix to be successful, but it would be nice to have a robust economy so that former Pittsburghers could return "home" if they wanted.
That was a worthy and truthful post. I agree about the unions and what you said about how they were once needed, back in the day... People today are better educated and are doing a completely different type of work where a union isn't warranted. I have 2 complaints about Pittsburgh - man the real estate taxes are high and why can't I buy beer at the store??? *smile*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I have 2 complaints about Pittsburgh - man the real estate taxes are high and why can't I buy beer at the store??? *smile*
LOL It's funny that you said that! My sister came to visit me here in Florida for the very first time last year. Previously...she's never left the state (her father lives in Bethlehem, PA...so she's been all over PA). We went to Publix...the grocery store here...and walked down the asle lined with beer cases, cold beer, and wine. She looked around and exclaimed, "Jeez, there are a bunch of alcoholics down here! Beer is everywhere you turn around..even in the grocery store!" (kinda true...even the food court at the mall serves beer). I kind of forget about that; especially since I went to college in West Virginia. But yeah...beer takes a special trip sometimes. Oh well; all the reason to stock up when you go I guess!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,072,915 times
Quote:
We went to Publix
I freaking love Publix!!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 PM

254 posts, read 591,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Johnland,

Yes, there are many people who want to come back to Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, our wonderful state government decided we should have the highest corporate net income tax in the nation...thus a mediocre economy. Also, having traveled around the U.S., I can honestly say that there is a deep entitlement/union mentality around here. Public sector unions hold the power in state and local politics, which means lots of teacher strikes, transit strikes, and higher taxes to pay the demanded salaries. Two web sites I would recommend are:

Allegheny Institute
and
Pittsburgh's Future - Issues and opportunities affecting Pittsburgh and Southwestern Pennsylvania

Actually, there was a comment on the Pittsburgh's Future blog from a person from Tampa wanting to move back to Pittsburgh, but was concerned about the economy...just like you.

I think the Pittsburgh area is a great region. Unfortunately, there is a mentality/culture here which directly affects the political climate and holds back the economy. In most places, people believe that success is achieved through improving one's self, getting an education, etc. In western PA, success is achieved by going on strike. Profits are evil, (except to the extent that they can be confiscated via taxes and given to the public sector unions, of course).

That's the cultural heritage of this region. Thus it should be no suprise that the private sector isn't exactly enthusiastic about investing here, even with world-class research universities, affordable housing, etc.

Will it ever change? I'm not very optimistic. It could change if schools taught people about free market economics, how wages/salaries are determined by supply and demand, and how to succeed in a capitalistic economy. However, that last thing teachers' unions want is children learning that salaries are determined by supply and demand. *chuckle* In history class, children learn how great unions are and how businesses are out to skrew everybody, etc. And thus the cycle repeats.

Yes, all of this is controversial. I think unions were necessary back in the day when there were no labor or safety standards and people (including children) died by the thousands just trying to work and survive. No, I don't want to go back to the "robber baron" days.

But times have changed. Many new high-paying, high-skill jobs are being created nationwide, and we aren't seeing as much of it in western PA as we should. The dirty, dangerous, repetative work done by our ancestors is increasingly done by machines and computers. The new jobs of today (and the future) will be designing, building, and servicing these machines. Carnegie Mellon has a world-class robotics institute for doing just that...but so far it hasn't resulted in a booming local robotics industry.

We don't need to grow as fast as Atlanta or Phoenix to be successful, but it would be nice to have a robust economy so that former Pittsburghers could return "home" if they wanted.
Wow. So well put. I too think that if the antiquated government ever got out of the way of growth and let it into the region, you'd see a beautiful economy develop. All the basic assets are there - dense urban fabric, great universities and colleges, wonderful topography, history, etc. But all the surging growth in this country is deflected away from Pittsburgh by discouraging taxes, etc. I mean, if Minneapolis can boom, it can't all be weather related, right?!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM

254 posts, read 591,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I freaking love Publix!!
If ever move back, I'd have to add Publix as another thing I'd miss about Tampa. It is just a good supermarket. And they have beer and wine. I forgot about that quaint Stalinist set up that PA has regarding the sale of (gasp, gasp) beer and wine.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
If ever move back, I'd have to add Publix as another thing I'd miss about Tampa. It is just a good supermarket. And they have beer and wine. I forgot about that quaint Stalinist set up that PA has regarding the sale of (gasp, gasp) beer and wine.
*Wegmans* Oh my god, that is the nation's nicest grocery store!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 PM

24 posts, read 81,527 times
Too funny!! I just started working at the Wegman's in Allentown, during the day, while my kids are in school. It is an amazing grocery store, isn't it?? Of course, this one, being in PA, doesn't have beer or wine but I have heard how nice the one's in VA are with their wine dept.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstrip View Post
Too funny!! I just started working at the Wegman's in Allentown, during the day, while my kids are in school. It is an amazing grocery store, isn't it?? Of course, this one, being in PA, doesn't have beer or wine but I have heard how nice the one's in VA are with their wine dept.
You should see the ones in NY! Oh gosh, when I go home, the first thing the kids and I do is head to Wegmans to buy some decent food. (Pittsburgh has good food, I'm talking about the difference between AZ and NY)

Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 AM

314 posts, read 849,480 times
Talk about culture shock. I am coming from New Orleans where they sell liquor at gas stations and grocery stores!You can get Daiquiri's from a drive through down here. Heck, they only mage it illegal for you to drink on the car a couple of years ago. This is the true culture of excess!!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 AM

457 posts, read 431,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
Talk about culture shock. I am coming from New Orleans where they sell liquor at gas stations and grocery stores!You can get Daiquiri's from a drive through down here. Heck, they only mage it illegal for you to drink on the car a couple of years ago. This is the true culture of excess!!
LOL isn't a law in NOLA that you HAVE to drink liquor?? ;-) I have never understood Texas's "Dry laws", They force alcoholics to drive further while drunk to buy liquor. Makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh