Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,614,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Boy, I don't know what to say then....You've been living under a rock. ATL is used everywhere know and its the Globally know acronym for Atlanta.
I have a brother in Atlanta. I'm reasonably well traveled and read widely. My house is on top of a rock. I never heard of ATL used for Atlanta except to refer to the airport or when the topic was somehow related to airports.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM

567 posts, read 1,163,440 times
While I prefer PGH as well, if someone writes PIT (or ATL or CLE or whatever), in the context of a sentence we'll all probably be able to figure out what they're talking about. Not so necessarily for "Pitt". But if some jag wants to say PIT, let 'em; we'll know who the real PGHers are easier that way.

There's a similar confusion here at The University of California Berkeley, where everyone in the area refers to it as "Cal". Outsiders might get confused as to exactly what that means, and people here get confused when you talk about "Berkeley" because it could be the town or the university.

Perhaps some industrious forum member should start a thread about branding, since we've talked about this kind of stuff in a few places in the recent past (iconic structure, city motto/catchphrase a while back).

Anyway, I thought the official abbreviation was "da 'burgh".

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,908,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I have a brother in Atlanta. I'm reasonably well traveled and read widely. My house is on top of a rock. I never heard of ATL used for Atlanta except to refer to the airport or when the topic was somehow related to airports.
"Alrighty" then.....again...I don't know what to say to that.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,679,073 times
WHO. F-ING. CARES.

Jeesh, talk about your first world problems...

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
While I prefer PGH as well, if someone writes PIT (or ATL or CLE or whatever), in the context of a sentence we'll all probably be able to figure out what they're talking about. Not so necessarily for "Pitt". But if some jag wants to say PIT, let 'em; we'll know who the real PGHers are easier that way.

There's a similar confusion here at The University of California Berkeley, where everyone in the area refers to it as "Cal". Outsiders might get confused as to exactly what that means, and people here get confused when you talk about "Berkeley" because it could be the town or the university.

Perhaps some industrious forum member should start a thread about branding, since we've talked about this kind of stuff in a few places in the recent past (iconic structure, city motto/catchphrase a while back).

Anyway, I thought the official abbreviation was "da 'burgh".
Look If I had it my way....PGH would be the Universal acronym of Pittsburgh since its the more traditional and local. But that doesn't ingore the fact that PIT is a more stronger known abbrv of Pittsburgh than PGH.

Put it to you another..if some John Doe abbrv. Pittsburgh using PGH...I know that person is either a native or has lived in Pittsburgh for a while at least...if he uses PIT I know he's from anywhere but Pittsburgh.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
WHO. F-ING. CARES.

Jeesh, talk about your first world problems...
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Exactly what I wanted to post after reading the rest of this thread, following my earlier post.

File this under "reading too much into things". You're attaching far too much import to these abbreviations from a city branding perspective. They are not important in that way. You can't force it; it only works when it happens naturally/organically, like NYC. And BTW nobody from NYC would refer to it that way either. The C is redundant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have another one for you. Who cares?

Not meant to be snarky, but who really cares if there is an *official* abbreviation? As long as the people who are using whatever abbr. they use know what they are talking about, why does there have to be a standardization?

People from out here rankle when outsiders call San Francisco SFO, but once again -- to me it shows us they are not from here and are to be greeted warmly, so they tell their friends how great SFO is and COME BACK AND SPEND MORE TOURIST DOLLARS.

So I'm firmly in the "call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner" camp.
You do enough to bother replying

So I imagined if it wasn't worth your time you wouldn't have bother responding or even reading it for that matter.

There are a lot of topics I couldn't careless less about in the Pittsburgh forum, guess what I don't read them or reply to them...

Thanks for Caring.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
WHO. F-ING. CARES.
Exactly what I wanted to post after reading the rest of this thread, following my earlier post.

File this under "reading too much into things". You're attaching far too much import to these abbreviations from a city branding perspective. They are not important in that way. You can't force it; it only works when it happens naturally/organically, like NYC. And BTW nobody from NYC would refer to it that way either. The C is redundant, unnecessary.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
"Alrighty" then.....again...I don't know what to say to that.
I have another one for you. Who cares?

Not meant to be snarky, but who really cares if there is an *official* abbreviation? As long as the people who are using whatever abbr. they use know what they are talking about, why does there have to be a standardization?

People from out here rankle when outsiders call San Francisco SFO, but once again -- to me it shows us they are not from here and are to be greeted warmly, so they tell their friends how great SFO is and COME BACK AND SPEND MORE TOURIST DOLLARS.

So I'm firmly in the "call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner" camp.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,913,262 times
Hell to the No.

"Pit" is meaningless to me except as the name of a breed of dog. Or, if someone says it out loud, I think of the University. I would never think the word "Pit" meant the entire city of Pittsburgh. That's "Pgh."

Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,691,254 times
Quote:
Not meant to be snarky, but who really cares if there is an *official* abbreviation?
There's nothing "official" about any of these except as they relate to transportation. That is part of my point.

Quote:
Yes, I think I could agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh