Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

I think you're both right. People know multiple routes for their commutes, but only know one way for trips they don't make on a daily or weekly basis. I can get from Brighton Heights to Oakland five different ways, but if I needed to go to West Mifflin or something, it was always Carson over to Lebanon Road every time because I didn't realize Route 51 went that way for quite some time.

Changing routes on my commute definitely saves me some time. From the Fifth Ave on ramp to the parkway I can see if traffic is backed up due to the fort pitt tunnel. If it is, I switch to Blvd of the Allies/Crosstown and take 7th street through downtown and either go through the north side or sometimes I can tell that the Fort Duquesne Bridge isn't backed up and take that to 65. It's definitely slower than the parkway with no traffic, but on bad days I can sit in traffic for 30 minutes between Oakland and Downtown and it's definitely faster to avoid that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
279 doesn't really need a viable alternative. Occasionally there is an accident or something that creates a mess, but its infrequent enough that I don't think any sane person should decide not to live in the South Hills instead just because of this.

If you prefer the North Hills but like how Mt. Lebo looks and don't want to take McKnight to get to 279, check out North Hills Estates and some of surrounding areas (its where Ross borders Westview). Older homes (many built pre WWII and the rest filled in shortly thereafter) with plenty of "character," a little business district, and easy access to both 279 without any traffic prone roads and easy to get to shopping on McKnight. Its really a great location.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM

58 posts, read 186,680 times
Default commute from Bridgeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I live in Bridgeville and my commute by driving downtown is 45 mins door to door in teh morning and 30mins in the evening.

One of these days I will brave the elements and take the bus.
Do you mind if I ask, what time do you leave in the AM? And do you take 79/376 in?

We're outside Bridgeville and it takes us a little under 10 mins just to reach the park & ride at the Star City Cinema. My husband commutes to PNC and it takes 1 hr door to door whether by bus or car, depending on traffic. (In a bad commute it can be 1.5 hrs.) I'm trying to figure out if we have any alternate routes & wondering what that "magic" time is that if you get on the road by x:xx it's clear sailing. (I suspect that magic time is too early for him... He can't arrive 3 hours early and leave 3 hrs early.)

He chooses to take the bus instead of driving because it's cheaper than gas & parking. If he drives, the ride home is only a half hour.

I imagine for folks on the other side of Bridgeville closer to Carnegie (or 79) that they'd have a good head start on us & a shorter commute. We're on the road about 10 mins before we even reach 79 or Washington Pike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh