Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Interesting. I'm surprised there is still money in Churchill. Woodland Hills isn't dragging it down as badly as we thought.
I guess you never drive around there. I do nearly every day. Some parts of the area are filled with old fashioned mansions made of elaborate stonework worth many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Those people can afford to send their kids to whatever school they want.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12...11454090_zpid/ - People who own houses like this don't necessarily have to worry about public school districts.

Such is the folly of denigrating areas based on assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I think median incomes for individuals would tell us much more than median income for households. A lot of people in the city live alone. $25k - 35k a year is not poor if you are single and live alone.

What truly surprises me about this map is how many comparatively well-off people there are. Scroll out and see how many blue areas there are (I'm using the color blind map). Even Johnstown and Altoona, where there are no jobs, have blue areas. It's shocking to me.

Another interesting point: median income is higher in Ingram than it is in Crafton.

Median income in Monongahela, PA may surprise some people.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 02-13-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Well this is super interesting, they just added rents in addition to median income!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Rural areas are (broadly speaking and painting with a big brush) white country ghettos. Those with intelligence, drive, and ability are generally on the first bus out of town to the areas where the jobs are. AKA big metro areas, or at a minimum, the nearest "big town" with 30,000+ people... It's no different then the ghetto.
I'm from a small town in a rural area and it definitely wasn't a ghetto. There are some affluent small towns in rural areas, and I'm not even talking about tourist towns.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Yeah, that was one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on this forum. Congrats, zip95.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but I think the southern section of Brighton Heights is partially explained by the two seniors only apartment buildings. Some googling shows The Sheptsky Arms on Mexico St. has 50 units and Riverview Manor on Letort has 98 units. That census tract is 35.6% people over the age of 62 (source). The other two census tracts in Brighton Heights are 23% and 41.4% over the age of 62 (the latter also has a senior apartment building).

The only thing I can come up with is that the southern portion of the neighborhood has more 1-person households consisting of seniors, while the other two census tracts might have 2 seniors living together, or seniors living with other family members. It makes more sense when you combine that with the southern portion also being a little less desirable and consisting of smaller homes.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A few comments.

2. Why is southern Brighton Heights so much poorer than the rest of the neighborhood? I'm guessing not too many students or young renters live there, so it can't be that. It's even poorer than Marshall-Shadeland!

A large institution, Western Pen, may well be included in the stats.

Convicts only earn 11 cents an hour or so in their prison jobs, several hundred guys at low wages can drag down the average.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
It'd be more interesting if it didn't top out at $110k.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It'd be more interesting if it didn't top out at $110k.
It doesn't. There are a lot of Pittsburgh neighborhoods and suburbs that have median household incomes in excess of $110,000. You just have to click on the dark green tracts to see what specific income that tract makes.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
The rent map is very cool, but I do wonder how accurate it is. I don't think Part of Perry South is really more expensive to rent in than the Mexican War Streets. I also don't thin the eastern part of Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar is more expensive for rent than any section of Lawrenceville. The ACS doesn't survey everyone, and in neighborhoods without a high number of renters, the results can get kinda wonky as a result.

It does look like if you want a deal, Spring-Hill City View is the cheapest non-ghetto place in the city to rent. There is a Section 8 housing complex in the middle of the neighborhood however, which may be depressing overall rental prices. This is one of those cases where it would be helpful if the census bureau provided an alternate metric discounting Section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh