Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 46,806 times

Advertisements

I moved to Pittsburgh this week and I need to furnish my entire apartment. Of course, I won't be buying everything at once, but at least the bed and matress is quite urgent (I did a quick search in the forum and some suggested The Original Mattress Factory, is it any good?). At the moment I'm also looking to buy a chest or dresser too. I went to Ikea this morning, nice stuff and reasonably priced too, but the general consensus is that in the quality of the furniture is pretty bad and I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars in furniture I will need to replace soon.

I'm on a budget and I'm looking for affordable furniture stores that have delivery too. I've seen people mention in some posts a Macy's clearance furniture store Downtown, is this the store located in 400 Fifth Avenue? If it helps, I like furniture that's modern.

Last edited by Elle Driver; 02-15-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
President's Day Weekend is the best time to go shopping for furniture. I'm furniture shopping myself this weekend.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I can't speak for the upholstered furniture, but Ikea's stuff isn't so bad at all. My kitchen table and several sets of bookshelves and dressers are all from Ikea, and I've had them for years and years with no quality problems.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM

165 posts, read 262,537 times
I got my bed at Ikea 6 years ago and it's in perfect shape.

Try Value City Furniture, too. I usually have good luck there.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
I'm a sucker for Ikea. Our living room, playroom, and master bedroom are completely furnished with Ikea stuff. It has held up well, even with two kids. The oldest items are five years old.

Here is a link to their Home Delivery pricing: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/img/loc...INAL%20(2).pdf

Looks like it will be $59. That is a flat rate and doesn't fluctuate on weight, so go crazy!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM

23 posts, read 46,806 times
Thanks for your replies. So apparently Ikea isn't that bad, good to know. How about the mattress? Do any of you have an Ikea mattress?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
I will also chime in for IKEA. I don't know about their mattresses, but I have bookcases and a TV stand that I bought there that have held up well. I also have a table in my basement that I bought there in 1992. It was in my kitchen until two years ago. There's nothing wrong with it -- I just put a pantry closet in the space that it used to occupy, so there was no more room for it and I never ate in the kitchen anyway. I now use it as a laundry folding table.

I haven't bought anything at the Mattress Factory, but my brother and sister-in-law were very pleased with the set that they purchased there.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I like the Original Mattress Factory for mattresses. It's one of the few places you can buy a mattress that you can flip over. Most mattress makers have switched to one-sided mattresses, which means you have to buy a new mattress if something happens to the one side.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I like the Original Mattress Factory for mattresses. It's one of the few places you can buy a mattress that you can flip over. Most mattress makers have switched to one-sided mattresses, which means you have to buy a new mattress if something happens to the one side.
If a mattress is only a mattress on one side, what is it on the other side? (You can tell it's been a while).

Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
I'd recommend IKEA over Value City Furniture, or at least I have had no luck with the latter. Springs go out on lightly used things very quickly, while heavily used IKEA couch is going strong. Among other things - bed frame, many bookshelves, kitchen islands, that we've had for a few years now, with no issues, even despite moving them twice since we bought them. Plus I have a grudge against VCF because we paid a boatload for delivery and their guys refused to bring anything upstairs, saying our stairwell was narrow. My husband and I had to do it ourselves, and the stairwell was plenty big enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh