Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid View Post
My thought on this topic is that no one likes to spend hours upon hours in a shopping metropolis indoors, which is what a shopping mall concept was.

Couple this with the fact that people enjoy the idea of outdoor and urban shopping again, and you see why places like the Waterfront have enjoy success. Look at the stores that are open down there and you will notice many of them were in Century III mall not long ago.
On the other hand, though...Waterfront and South Side Works have lost a decent amount of stores, as well. These areas seem to thrive because of their restaurant scene rather than their retail alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM

225 posts, read 323,969 times
The South Side Works retail issues are related to problems with those specific retailers during the recession. The Sharper Image, Z-Gallery, Kenneth Cole and Joseph Beth all closed stores nation-wide; it wasn't really the SSW fault. I expect that those storefronts will fill back up.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
On the other hand, though...Waterfront and South Side Works have lost a decent amount of stores, as well. These areas seem to thrive because of their restaurant scene rather than their retail alone.
I'm surprised that the former Filene's Basement in the Waterfront hasn't been repurposed as something else. I know the economy tanked, but it's a huge store in a prominent location that's been empty for 4-5 years.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM

112 posts, read 161,724 times
I'm pretty sad that Filene's is no longer there. I really loved that store!
I also am surprised that it is still empty after all this time!

I'd have to agree with many posters here here that the times have just simply changed and nobody really has the extra time to dilly dally around a mall anymore.
Where would you find the time to shop at a mall in between work, kids soccer practice, dinner, homework, etc etc?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
Where would you find the time to shop at a mall in between work, kids soccer practice, dinner, homework, etc etc?
I don't think any of the above has anything to do with not finding time to go to the mall. All those things existed before the decline of the malls.

However, online shopping didn't.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I don't think any of the above has anything to do with not finding time to go to the mall. All those things existed before the decline of the malls.

However, online shopping didn't.
Today I am expecting two things I acquired online to arrive: a new All-Clad casserole, which I traded for a piece of Le Creuset with an online friend from a cooking forum, and new headphones from Crutchfield. If it weren't for the internet, I would likely have waited for the next All Clad factory sale in Canonsburg. I would have gone to a local audio store for Grado headphones if the internet hadn't happened, in Shadyside or downtown, or else ordered them over the phone from Crutchfield. I don't think I'd've gone to a mall for either one.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-03-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I actually did a Binghamton Photo Tour for this forum back when I lived in the 'burbs of Scranton. I think there's a picture of Boscov's in it.
You managed to get shots of both my elementary school (St. Johns) and church (Tabernacle).

Old 04-03-2013, 04:34 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Today I am expecting two things I acquired online to arrive: a new All-Clad casserole, which I traded for a piece of Le Creuset with an online friend from a cooking forum, and new headphones from Crutchfield. If it weren't for the internet, I would likely have waited for the next All Clad factory sale in Canonsburg. I would have gone to a local audio store for Grado headphones if the internet hadn't happened, in Shadyside or downtown, or else ordered them over the phone from Crutchfield. I don't think I'd've gone to a mall for either one.

Wow, all clad. I got two new items from them just by being a stupid husband. Good company.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Wow, all clad. I got two new items from them just by being a stupid husband. Good company.
What I got today was free. Sort of.

I had to give up on my longtime favorite, Le Creuset (enameled cast iron). It's just too heavy with my arthritis. So this woman elsewhere online posted that she was looking for a HTF piece of Le Creuset (5 qt. braiser in the Dune color). I did some googling, only to find that it's a retired color, and sent her an e-mail. We got to e-mailing back and forth -- I have no one to talk cookware with IRL. I mentioned a piece of All Clad I was about to buy, and she turned out to have one she didn't want, so I traded her for this 10-pound LC roaster (she's young).

Nice deal. I got a 4 quart copper core casserole. I washed it and let it air dry, and I can tell by the way the little copper line splotched that I'm going to stick to the regular stuff (good to know at this point--the copper core is even more expensive). Tomorrow I'm going to break it in with a batch of Bolognese.

What did you get (thanks to stupid husbandhood)?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,020 times
The first problem with Pittsburgh malls - except the Mall at Robinson - is that they are hard to access. In lots of other cities, malls have their own off/on ramps from the freeways/tollways. The second problem is they're all built in the old-style, with the stores being indoors instead of outdoors. Modern 'malls' imitate downtown business districts. Sometimes even incorporating hotels and townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh