Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM

654 posts, read 944,669 times

Advertisements

Okay, a few of you have mentioned Marshall-Shadeland. What are the pros and cons of that neighborhood? If brick Victorians can be bought there for reasonable prices (within my price range), and if I won't get stabbed, robbed, or otherwise become a statistic, then it's definitely an area worth considering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM

Good God, why such rapid appreciation? That's horrible news for a potential buyer (me). Good news for an owner, though.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Okay, a few of you have mentioned Marshall-Shadeland. What are the pros and cons of that neighborhood? If brick Victorians can be bought there for reasonable prices (within my price range), and if I won't get stabbed, robbed, or otherwise become a statistic, then it's definitely an area worth considering!

M-S has good bus transportation, a supermarket, the back entrance to a major city park- Riverview. And I don't know if its still down there, but there was a pretty large gay club down near the penitentiary.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Pros:
-3 bus routes
-Grocery store
-Older homes well within your price range
-Extremely active neighborhood group

Cons
-Resale value is pretty high risk, low reward. But at such low prices, maybe it's not a big deal to you. I looked at nice turn of the century homes in the $30's there.
-Not much in the way of businesses
-Future is uncertain. I think it will stabilize or improve, but opinions vary. In its current state, I wouldn't worry a great deal about safety, but there is enough drug and property crime that it's worth noting.
-It's a "block by block" neighborhood. It has some very nice parts and some very rundown parts.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Generally speaking, Pittsburgh has a fairly low predatory crime rate. Violent crime is fairly high, but it's mostly small-time drug dealers and gangbangers (and I use the latter loosely, as most are 20-year olds with delusions of grandeur) killing each other in feuds. They usually don't bother people they don't know.

In 2009, Marshall-Shadeland's Part 1 (violent) Crime Rate was the 49th highest out of 90 neighborhoods. Part 2 crime was 43 out of 90. So it's pretty average in terms of safety. Plenty of higher crime neighborhoods (including some which actually have good reputations, like South Side Flats, Bloomfield, and most of Lawrenceville), and plenty of lower crime ones.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Marshall-Shadeland, from what you're saying, is a very varied neighborhood, then, in terms of condition of housing, safety, type of housing, etc. Since it's a "block by block" neighborhood, then which are its good blocks and which are its bad ones?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Quote:
What about Bluff? I know much of the area has been demolished, but the architecture is stunning!

I've been told to stay clear of Marshall Shadeland, but I really don't know enough about the area to make a judgement call. I've seen the ad for the house you linked to on Superior Ave., and it would do. I just don't know about the area, though. I mean, I don't want to be a crime statistic.

What is Allentown like? I don't know anything about that neighborhood.

Trust me, I'd prefer to stay clear of any area that's in free-fall. Therefore, places like Sheraden are out of the question.
-The Bluff past Van Bramm Street is livable, although there's a notable amount of drug activity/prostitution. Still I definitely wouldn't call it unsafe (safer than Superior Ave, Marshall-Shadeland; most of Sheraden-east of the park; most of Allentown; & most of Mt. Oliver Boro).
-Superior Ave isn't that bad; in fact, the stretch from Ingham St-most of Woodland Ave is actually getting a little better... Now Forsythe Ave, the 2800-3195 blocks of Shadeland Ave, etc are a whole 'nother story! That area is plumiting, and very soon will be just another Northside gangland ghetto! Still even in the gang active/rough part(s) you wouldn't likely find trouble as long as you are a law abiding citizen.
-Most of Allentown is without a doubt worse than worst parts of Sheraden or Marshall-Shadeland... It's also been in decline for the longest and it shows no sign of coming back.
In comparison, Mt. Oliver Boro is slightly worse than Allentown, but currently not as bad as near by Beltzhoover & Upper Knoxville. IMO Mt. Oliver Boro is no longer in decline, as it was incline 10yrs ago, and now its worse= it has become a ghetto...

Quote:
Marshall-Shadeland, from what you're saying, is a very varied neighborhood, then, in terms of condition of housing, safety, type of housing, etc. Since it's a "block by block" neighborhood, then which are its good blocks and which are its bad ones?
Check this map out to see what what's bad-rapid declind, bad-improving, slowly declining, and/or stable
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...4f113f38&msa=0

Quote:
He could probably do Garfield for that price though, which has larger detached houses anyway. Lots of homosexuals too from what I gathered from First Fridays. I had one bad experience there which is why it is not on my list of neighborhoods I am shopping in, but it is pretty safe on most blocks.
Avoid Garfield from Broad Street & up!!! Right now like Homewood/Central Wilkinsburg/Central McKeesport shootings are not uncommon. It is way over hyped and is pretty much as unsafe as it has ever been in the 2000's. Fortunately it shows some (key word some) signs of getting better (but nothing major).

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-10-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
-Superior Ave isn't that bad; in fact, the stretch from Ingham St-most of Woodland Ave is actually getting a little better... Now Forsythe Ave, the 2800-3195 blocks of Shadeland Ave, etc are a whole 'nother story! That area is plumiting, and very soon will be just another Northside gangland ghetto! Still even in the gang active/rough part(s) you wouldn't likely find trouble as long as you are a law abiding citizen.
It's been my impression that the nicer parts of Marshall-Shadeland are generally in the south, and the rougher portions are in the north. Which is sort of the opposite of what you'd expect, given it's proximity to blighted neighborhoods like Perry Hilltop and California-Kirkbride that you'd think caused the decline to begin with.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
-The Bluff past Van Bramm Street is livable, although there's a notable amount of drug activity/prostitution. Still I definitely wouldn't call it unsafe (safer than Superior Ave, Marshall-Shadeland; most of Sheraden-east of the park; most of Allentown; & most of Mt. Oliver Boro).
-Most of Allentown is without a doubt worse than worst parts of Sheraden or Marshall-Shadeland... It's also been in decline for the longest and it shows no sign of coming back.
In comparison, Mt. Oliver Boro is slightly worse than Allentown, but currently not as bad as near by Beltzhoover & Upper Knoxville. IMO Mt. Oliver Boro is no longer in decline, as it was incline 10yrs ago, and now its worse= it has become a ghetto...

Check this map out to see what what's bad-rapid declind, bad-improving, slowly declining, and/or stable
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...4f113f38&msa=0
Thanks for the crime map. So tell me a little about Brighton Heights.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Listen to Uptown-Kid about which areas and streets are safe. He knows what he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh