Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Methinks you guys all protest too much. Staying in one's college "town" is a time-honored practice. ... stuff deleted ...
I think, just like the sunny weather lines in posts (it's beautiful and sunny today BTW!!), you're seeing a little sarcastic reaction to a certain poster or two who regularly assert that everyone moves away after college and there are no jobs for anyone over 25 and under 50. You just need to read more closely - check out the bald eagle thread, it'll fill you in on all the things to look for

Old 02-22-2014, 01:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Agreed. I've been here exactly 25 years this year and the city that I moved to is nothing like the city that I live in now.
I'm only in my early 20's and this city (and the people) are rather different from even 15 years ago.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I think, just like the sunny weather lines in posts (it's beautiful and sunny today BTW!!), you're seeing a little sarcastic reaction to a certain poster or two who regularly assert that everyone moves away after college and there are no jobs for anyone over 25 and under 50. You just need to read more closely - check out the bald eagle thread, it'll fill you in on all the things to look for
I saw the sarcasm; I'm still saying, "methinks you doth protest too much", whether via sarcasm or whatever, it sounds too defensive. One person who came to Pittsburgh in 1991 (at 18?) with the intention of not staying, stayed, per the article. Have you done everything you thought you'd do at 18? Me, neither. I would have never imagined myself living in California, Illinois, New York, Delaware and Colorado (in that order).

No one takes the talk about "everyone" leaving Pittsburgh seriously. It doesn't have to be pointed out every time someone stays. Ditto the weather. We don't need to hear about every sunny day in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:36 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I saw the sarcasm; I'm still saying, "methinks you doth protest too much", whether via sarcasm or whatever, it sounds too defensive. One person who came to Pittsburgh in 1991 (at 18?) with the intention of not staying, stayed, per the article. Have you done everything you thought you'd do at 18? Me, neither. I would have never imagined myself living in California, Illinois, New York, Delaware and Colorado (in that order).

No one takes the talk about "everyone" leaving Pittsburgh seriously. It doesn't have to be pointed out every time someone stays. Ditto the weather. We don't need to hear about every sunny day in Pittsburgh.
Me thinks you protest too much about the protesting.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Many people who move to an area exclusively for "jobs" soon find that they were sorely mistaken in not researching an area more heavily. In my former Northern Virginia (NoVA) hordes of people moved in each year, lured by the prospect of "high" salaries relative to the smaller areas they came from (including abroad) and quickly found themselves unprepared for how little each dollar truly stretched there relative to the astronomical cost-of-living. Coupling in that lack of a "sense of place", similar to Raleigh, and there were a lot of people living there who were just as unhappy as I was, yet they weren't willing to be spontaneous and move elsewhere to try to start over in life.

I'm as happy as I could be with my decision to move here. I left Scranton, well, because it's a cess pool if you're an upwardly-mobile liberal young gay professional, to be quite frank. When I received a job offer with a $40,000 salary in Fairfax County I RUSHED on down, soon to realize I had to skip meals and go to bed in pain from hunger as that salary was quickly absorbed by rents well over $1,000/month and other expensive facets of living in an area with a MEDIAN household income in the six-figures (mostly supported by your tax dollars, mind you).
Oh give us a break with the Nova bashing already. This is the Pittsburgh Forum, for Pete's sake. If you want to bash Nova, do it on the Nova Forum. And enough with the ridiculous exaggerations! Jeez, you've been doing this all week. I've been looking the other way on the theory that you would get sick of it, but it seems like the opposite is happening--the bait will just get more and more ridiculous until you get a reaction. So OK already, here's a response. I'm sad to hear you've created a fantasy where you now believe the COL in Virginia was so high you had to skip meals. You told quite a different tale while you lived there. I've collected restaurant reviews over the years and a huge number were from you. Seriously, I have at least 15 different posts from you describing some pretty nice places you ate at, not to mention numerous posts and photo threads of your many day trips, activities, and events you went to. You went to ball games, you went kayaking, you posted all sorts of activities you were busy with. I'm sorry that you didn't like living in a suburb, but spare us this nonsense that you were living in poverty.

As for your apartment--I'm sorry you felt your apartment was expensive, but you chose to live in a nice complex in a wealthy suburb. You wanted to be walking distance to Reston Town Center, and you wanted an apartment that had a washer/dryer. You didn't want a roommate, but it was ok because at the time you seemed happy with the rent:

Quote:
I'm very happy paying only $1,135/month for a 960-square foot apartment
You knew you had chosen an apartment in the priciest part of Reston, but it was worth it to you:

Quote:
I honestly can't think of a better part of Reston in which to reside. I can (and have) walked out my door and walked to Reston Town Center, Lake Anne, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, Harris Teeter, and various other stores and restaurants. I live a short walk from a couple of public pools, tennis courts, and a softball field, as well as the Reston YMCA. I feel like I'm playing a game of "*******" trying to cross the interminably congested Reston Parkway at rush-hour, but otherwise it's a VERY walkable area (much better than I had given it credit for beforehand). I regularly go running along tree-lined streets, and I'm hoping to scope out one of two nearby churches next Sunday to begin to worship there. I can relax on my rear patio overlooking a private country club or get all dressed up and head over to the town center on a Friday night to see a movie, enjoy a festival, or knock a few drinks back with good company before walking home.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
Me thinks you protest too much about the protesting.
ROTFL .... I'd so rep you for that if I could, even lthough you did forget the important 'doth'

Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oh give us a break with the Nova bashing already. And especially with the ridiculous exaggerations! Jeez, you've been doing this all week. I've been looking the other way on the theory that you would get sick of it, but it seems like the opposite is happening--the bait will just get more and more ridiculous until you get a reaction. So OK already, here's a response. I'm sad to hear you've created a fantasy where you now believe the COL in Virginia was so high you had to skip meals. You told quit a different tale while you lived there. I've collected restaurant reviews over the years and have at least 15 different posts from you describing some pretty nice places you ate at, not to mention numerous posts and photo threads of your many day trips, activities, and events you went to. You went to ball games, you went kayaking, you posted all sorts of activities you were busy with. I'm sorry that you didn't like living in a suburb, but spare us this nonsense that you were living in poverty.

As for your apartment--I'm sorry you felt your apartment was expensive, but you chose to live in a nice complex in a wealthy suburb. You wanted to be walking distance to Reston Town Center, and you wanted an apartment that had a washer/dryer. You didn't want a roommate, but it was ok because at the time you seemed happy with the rent:

You knew you had chosen an apartment in the priciest part of Reston, but it was worth it to you:
I like scr, but he bought into the feel good stories and how great the city looks on paper. Now that he has been here for a while im sure he sees that it is less than stellar here. Its all to justify his move from nova to here. He is trying to convince himself he made the right move.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:09 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
ROTFL .... I'd so rep you for that if I could, even lthough you did forget the important 'doth'
Copy thath.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
Quote:
I'm too Southern for a " doth " but I could have added "sho nuf" or "pert near".

Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
You are like a walking museum of first world problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh