Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

Volunteer for organizations that are doing work you care about. You're sure to meet like-minded people. I joined an arts organization about 7 years ago and have made some great friends. And, I ended up getting so involved in that world that I now have a side business producing outdoor art shows for my city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:32 PM

165 posts, read 663,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tliz View Post
So here's the situation........I moved here 3 weeks ago for my fiance and we broke up last Sunday. It was my doing but it doesn't make it any less depressing. The girls at work are a bunch of married ******* that don't even say good morning, much less, "Do you wanna go have a drink?". I'm here by myself, living in a house that is too big for me, no roommate (gotta get one), no family, no friends. I mean, yea the people here are nice, but they're not exactly the most fun bunch of people to be around. Most people, it seems, have been here their entire lives and if they haven't they left and came back. Hence, they aren't really interested in letting newcomers come "into the group". It's hard and it sucks and it's lonely and depressing!
tliz, I'm moving to Pittsburgh in a month for my husband to attend grad school at Pitt, the program is very rigorous and I won't be seeing him much at all. I'm dreading moving there because of all of the comments I read about how hard it is to meet people there. I'm 29 and will be working at UPMC. What kinds of things do you like to do?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times
I just moved here from NYC, and having moved from Texas to Missouri to Chicago to NYC and now here, let me tell ya'. . . . Pittsburgh's no harder to meet people in than anywhere else... you just have to avail yourself of the social networking groups and even in bars & restaurants, remain open and smile at people, giving them the outward signs that you are "approachable".

People will gladly come up & hang out with ya', if you look like you're open to the possibilities.....

If nothing else works, Meetup dot com seems to have alot of locally-based networking groups, and maybe they'd have a pittsburgh-based one as well. i dunno....

Even beyond that, I'm always up for meeting people and making new friends!!!--Drinks, darts and concerts are always better, with people to talk about 'em with!!!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
How anyone could be a senior at college and not have any friends is amazing. Why not ask the guy that sells you weed to introduce you around?
I'm sorry; that was just TOOOOO freakin' funny!!!......

Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
I'm in town for a seminar at CMU and have made about 3 friends just in the past 2 days. We went to the Church Brewworks last evening.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'm in town for a seminar at CMU and have made about 3 friends just in the past 2 days. We went to the Church Brewworks last evening.
Good for you bro.

Just don't know why you dug up a 2 year old thread about it.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Transplants...(For future reference) Just show even a tad bit interest in the Steelers or Penguins and many a yinzer will talk your ears off.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tliz View Post
So here's the situation........I moved here 3 weeks ago for my fiance and we broke up last Sunday. It was my doing but it doesn't make it any less depressing. The girls at work are a bunch of married ******* that don't even say good morning, much less, "Do you wanna go have a drink?". I'm here by myself, living in a house that is too big for me, no roommate (gotta get one), no family, no friends. I mean, yea the people here are nice, but they're not exactly the most fun bunch of people to be around. Most people, it seems, have been here their entire lives and if they haven't they left and came back. Hence, they aren't really interested in letting newcomers come "into the group". It's hard and it sucks and it's lonely and depressing!
About.com: http://www.pyp.org/ That should be a link to Pittsburgh Young Professional Singles. Their calendar shows two remaining events for July.

Singles Resources in Greater Pittsburgh - Groups Dating Chat Matchmaking

I'm older than you and live in the rural nowhere up north. One of the major problems with this entire area is people have children at really young ages and then they sit at home for the next 25 - 30 years, lol. Up here, it's stupid small town family life or no life, for a female, anyway.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
About.com: http://www.pyp.org/ That should be a link to Pittsburgh Young Professional Singles. Their calendar shows two remaining events for July.

Singles Resources in Greater Pittsburgh - Groups Dating Chat Matchmaking
And buy a Steelers or Penguins jersey and wear it, even if not a big fan.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Volunteering is a great idea! I do that from time to time and it's great to help others while meeting others too. I think maybe I have also seen ads for free yoga in the park throughout the city (if interested.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh